Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where to acquire hammer and sickle in english

Goblino

Savant
For those who don't know, hammer and sickle is a game made from mods for silent storm. It's totally a real rpg and i cant find a digital copy of the english game anywhere. It was fucking awesome. Found it in gamestop for 5 bucks as a kid and it was the shit. I wish to relive the frustration and the ecstasy of the greatest soviet espionage trpg ever made. My computer has no cd drive so i gots to do digital. All the downloads are on sketchy russian websites for sketchy vatnik slav vodka mush speak version and I don't read goddamn cyrillic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For those who don't know, hammer and sickle is a game made from mods for silent storm. It's totally a real rpg and i cant find a digital copy of the english game anywhere. It was fucking awesome. Found it in gamestop for 5 bucks as a kid and it was the shit. I wish to relive the frustration and the ecstasy of the greatest soviet espionage trpg ever made. My computer has no cd drive so i gots to do digital. All the downloads are on sketchy russian websites for sketchy vatnik slav vodka mush speak version and I don't read goddamn cyrillic.

Uploading it just for you as we speak. Still have an old download from 2008 sitting on my hard drive.

Goblino

Savant
Hey so ive got the files but im sure if im missing an installer or something. I've converted the 3 cd files into isos and mounted them but theyre not working.

Goblino

Savant
So I shouldn't share this but my own retardation is astounding. I got the fucker installed, started troubleshooting and messing with the special executable, and it crashed my computer. The OS wouldn't boot. So I'm thinking "no problem just run a system restore". Well for some reason windows 10 requires an administrator password to do so, but I never set a password for admin and my microsoft password wasn't working. So I reset the whole bitch. Luckily only had it for a few weeks but damn. I just wanted to relive my teenage glory. I really appreciate you uploading it. I'll probably give it another go, but I'm making sure i got a dongle or something to fix this ho if I bugger it again.

Modron

Arcane
You do have to hex edit the exe to accomodate for 4gigs of ram or more also fyi.
These instructions work for silent storm, sentinels, and hammer and sickle as well so you wont have to fool around with boot options to run them on newer systems.

Open game.exe with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x9bae (or 39854). You should see this:
00009B90 00 FF D3 52 57 FF 15 38 22 8B 00 8B 45 A4 50 E8 ...RW..8"...E.P.
00009BA0 1C C4 3C 00 83 C4 04 E9 01 0D 00 00 3B C7 74 2E ..<.........;.t.
00009BB0 B9 F7 51 00 00 8D 75 A4 E8 53 FE FF FF 52 BA 6B ..Q...u..S...R.k

At position 0x9bae (39854 dec) there's the character 0x74. Change it to 0xEB. Save the file, done. The game should now work! The final executable should have a MD5SUM of 7883a81632fc707e3aa4a72072650a63.

From: http://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/silentstorm/

So I shouldn't share this but my own retardation is astounding. I got the fucker installed, started troubleshooting and messing with the special executable, and it crashed my computer. The OS wouldn't boot. So I'm thinking "no problem just run a system restore". Well for some reason windows 10 requires an administrator password to do so, but I never set a password for admin and my microsoft password wasn't working. So I reset the whole bitch. Luckily only had it for a few weeks but damn. I just wanted to relive my teenage glory. I really appreciate you uploading it. I'll probably give it another go, but I'm making sure i got a dongle or something to fix this ho if I bugger it again.

Did you start the game up with the regular exe instead of the nocd one? Who knows how that old drm stuff interacts with modern operating systems. Can't recall which but Hammer and Sickle used either starforge (force?) or targes which are no longer supported.

Goblino

Savant
That's awesome haven't had to do that before but that might do the trick. He kept hitting the splash screen then dropping video card not supported. SS still works just fine I've never had to fuck with the gog releases. I think it might have been starforg(c)e? The drm bit showed up in an ultra tiny baby window and i just started clicking affirmative until I thought it was working but then my shit shut down. I thought I had finally fixed it because i recall seeing that little silvery window back in the day when I first played it.

I tried the nocd but ill probably just mount it next time if that'll work more safer

Goblino

Savant
You do have to hex edit the exe to accomodate for 4gigs of ram or more also fyi.
These instructions work for silent storm, sentinels, and hammer and sickle as well so you wont have to fool around with boot options to run them on newer systems.

Open game.exe with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x9bae (or 39854). You should see this:
00009B90 00 FF D3 52 57 FF 15 38 22 8B 00 8B 45 A4 50 E8 ...RW..8"...E.P.
00009BA0 1C C4 3C 00 83 C4 04 E9 01 0D 00 00 3B C7 74 2E ..<.........;.t.
00009BB0 B9 F7 51 00 00 8D 75 A4 E8 53 FE FF FF 52 BA 6B ..Q...u..S...R.k

At position 0x9bae (39854 dec) there's the character 0x74. Change it to 0xEB. Save the file, done. The game should now work! The final executable should have a MD5SUM of 7883a81632fc707e3aa4a72072650a63.

From: http://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/silentstorm/

Did you start the game up with the regular exe instead of the nocd one? Who knows how that old drm stuff interacts with modern operating systems. Can't recall which but Hammer and Sickle used either starforge (force?) or targes which are no longer supported.

is there a hex editor you would reccomend? I've never had to use one and I work in hospitality so this shit is a bit beyond my paygrade.

Goblino

Savant
Yeah I'm fucking lost this shit is byzantine. like i got to the offset by scrolling down til i found it but i have no clue how to edit it or what the fuck I'm trying to get to past the string of offsets there. Honestly I'm proud im even that far in.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah I'm fucking lost this shit is byzantine. like i got to the offset by scrolling down til i found it but i have no clue how to edit it or what the fuck I'm trying to get to past the string of offsets there. Honestly I'm proud im even that far in.
Just use control + F to find the 3B C7 74 2E sequence then highlight the 74, type EB, and save. Don't recall having any trouble doing that in HxD a decade ago to get it running.

Goblino

Savant
So I'm still working on it. I think that the drm or whatever is dropping an orbital nuke on my os. After I open the exe from the og, what I think is the drm opens and requests I run as admin. When I run as administrator he tells me to restart pc to finish, then it's system restore time. This bitchass drm is like the ancient guardian spirit of Nogames. In order to revisit my childhood I have to perform countless trials of troubleshooting and tinkeringand fucking with computer magic. I'll take a rest and give him one more shot. This game is well worth it and I just don't enjoy silent storm nearly as much.

Modron

Arcane
I don't know why you won't use the nocd exe to circumvent the drm. I am assuming one was provided of course since that was a reloaded release but if not head over to gamecopyworld.

Goblino

Savant
I have been. I've been trying a series of different things, but I'm not gonna bother booting from disk anymore that shit sucks.

Goblino

Savant
I don't know why you won't use the nocd exe to circumvent the drm. I am assuming one was provided of course since that was a reloaded release but if not head over to gamecopyworld.
Used the crack and figured out the hex edit, but it still says unsupported video card. feels bad

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried the nocd but ill probably just mount it next time if that'll work more safer

No, you MUST use the nocd with games that have old copy protection systems in them, they will not run with mounted CDs that's what the crack is for. And they often don't work with modern OSes at all, they already give trouble under Windows 7 not to mention Windows 10. That's probably what shot up your system, the DRM is a million times worse than any crack could ever be.

Void_Pickle

Educated
A little late to this, but trying to get past the video card error.

So far I've tried to get it running with the listed fixes:

Hex edit gets me to a black screen (wine), or an app crash (windows).

The d3d9 dll has no impact, but is maybe only for amd cards?

Limiting ram in a vm - also no impact.

Anything obvious I'm missing to attempt?

Edit: also thanks to those who linked downloads here, had been looking for awhile.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I had no problem with running Hammer & Sickle on Windows 10. I also did not hex edit the .exe and it ran pretty well. Mind you, I did not get far (yet) so can't really say much about the stability outside of the first hour of the game. But during this time I found no trouble with how H&S acted.

Void_Pickle

Educated
Well.. what do you know. I tried it with win 10 instead of 7 and it worked without tweaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom