Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

When upgrades fail, a tale of woe

Weasel
Perhaps Roqua is funding his JRPG habit?

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-will-pay-you-to-use-its-new-edge-browser/
Almost three-quarters of Windows 10 users are not using the new operating system's default Edge browser. So Microsoft is now paying them to make the switch.

Microsoft Rewards, announced Wednesday, is a rebranding of Bing Rewards, which gave people points for using Bing as their search engine. The new program, so far only available in the US, offers points for using Edge and Bing, as well as shopping at the Microsoft store.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'd be willing to use Edge for 10 bucks an hour.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

hpstg

Savant
I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about in this thread but I have an issue. Ever since I upgraded to edge my typing is like 20 actions behind. I type and what is shown is like from a while ago. This is only an issue in the two internet things I type in - this and email. My outlook is okay since I run that as an application. Actually, I don't what anything is anymore. Damn clouds! My depends aren't keeping the sand out of my vagina very well.

Anyone know how to fix this? And is this due to edge or this fancy smancy facebookization of rpgcodex? Actually I don't give a shit, I just want to know how to fix it so I can see what I am typing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am much too computer savvy to fall for the old ctrl+Alt4 trick you rapscallions.
Edge is fine. What kind of device are we talking about, a mobile or a desktop? Edge works just fine for both here. What you describe happens sometimes in pages that have a lot of transparencies (hence one of my complaints being about how on the mobile view, the full row of voting icons is always visible). If you are talking about a desktop, give me your specs and I can help with drivers and stuff.

What kind of faggot uses Edge? Upgrade to Chrome (or something else).

Zep--
Edge is now what Chrome was until verson 20 or so. A fast, light browser. Try it a bit, you'll be surprised. It even has adblock nowdays. Just don't expect the plethora of extensions that Chrome/Firefox have. The performance is great, and it's currently the only browser that can play 1080p and over for Netflix.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Desktop, of course. I'm no hipster or savage or little kid.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM
Page File: 3896MB used, 28824MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 750
Display Memory: 12231 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4062 MB
Shared Memory: 8168 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

All drivers updated including bios. Registry cleaned.

Also, I noticed something weird with my processor chip fan. It kicks on to overdrive when it runs older games (with one processor) and I tab out. It is running around 80 to 90 which doesn't seem hot (during the times the fan kicks into super overdrive loudness). My fan has a black thick cord running to the chip and I am not able to remove it to check blockage. I can clean the fan and the fan connector of the black cord but that is it. I don't think this is related but figured I'd check. I used to know a lot about computers back when I was younger and had more time, but now I check a little before buying a new one and the shit inside becomes more different and more different and I care less and less.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about in this thread but I have an issue. Ever since I upgraded to edge my typing is like 20 actions behind. I type and what is shown is like from a while ago. This is only an issue in the two internet things I type in - this and email. My outlook is okay since I run that as an application. Actually, I don't what anything is anymore. Damn clouds! My depends aren't keeping the sand out of my vagina very well.

Anyone know how to fix this? And is this due to edge or this fancy smancy facebookization of rpgcodex? Actually I don't give a shit, I just want to know how to fix it so I can see what I am typing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am much too computer savvy to fall for the old ctrl+Alt4 trick you rapscallions.
Edge is fine. What kind of device are we talking about, a mobile or a desktop? Edge works just fine for both here. What you describe happens sometimes in pages that have a lot of transparencies (hence one of my complaints being about how on the mobile view, the full row of voting icons is always visible). If you are talking about a desktop, give me your specs and I can help with drivers and stuff.

What kind of faggot uses Edge? Upgrade to Chrome (or something else).

Zep--
Edge is now what Chrome was until verson 20 or so. A fast, light browser. Try it a bit, you'll be surprised. It even has adblock nowdays. Just don't expect the plethora of extensions that Chrome/Firefox have. The performance is great, and it's currently the only browser that can play 1080p and over for Netflix.

Where is the help? Were you toying with me? I especially need help with the fan kicking in on maximum overdrive. it is annoying and makes me think shit is breaking.

hpstg

Savant
Where is the help? Were you toying with me? I especially need help with the fan kicking in on maximum overdrive. it is annoying and makes me think shit is breaking.

Just share your specs and we'll see what we can do. There can be no help unless you can at least be a bit detailed with what's your hardware/software setup. Although if you have a vanilla Windows 10 installation with no extra crap, or cut services and the rest, Windows Update should auto install almost everything correctly. Still, we need specs first.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Just share your specs and we'll see what we can do. There can be no help unless you can at least be a bit detailed with what's your hardware/software setup. Although if you have a vanilla Windows 10 installation with no extra crap, or cut services and the rest, Windows Update should auto install almost everything correctly. Still, we need specs first.

Just scroll up a little. I don't like extra crap so I don't have extra crap. I have adblocker and I got it just because the mods here keep fucking with me so I am not going to help generate revenue until I can post in piece like I used to be able to until there was some sort of pedophile LWE take over of this site by big mean despotic jerks.

Also, please reply quickly before they move your reply to another thread to hide it from me.

hpstg

Savant
Just scroll up a little. I don't like extra crap so I don't have extra crap. I have adblocker and I got it just because the mods here keep fucking with me so I am not going to help generate revenue until I can post in piece like I used to be able to until there was some sort of pedophile LWE take over of this site by big mean despotic jerks.

Also, please reply quickly before they move your reply to another thread to hide it from me.

Ah, I didn't notice. Your system is more or less a monster (with the exception of the GPU, which is crappy but I guess ok for what you play/do). Your 80-90C temperatures are high. You should consider getting a 3rd party CPU cooler and replacing the Intel one. One of the myriad versions Coolermaster 212 EVO should be fine, and quite cheap no matter where you live. If you're not sure if your case can fit a 160mm cooler, try the Coolermaster Hyper T4, it's 152mm. When your CPU gets hot, it will throttle down to avoid damage. That might translate to stutter and bad performance, and it will also NOT maintain its turbo clocks. Change the cooler, even if it doesn't fix this issue.

Never use registry cleaners and crap like that. Forget other antivirus software, use Windows Defender and keep an installation of the freeware version of Malwarebytes Antimalware for manually scanning individual files.

Download the latest version of the NVIDIA drivers. Uninstall the old ones from the Control Panel, then use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in Safe Mode (it will prompt you accordingly when you run it). Install the new NVIDIA drivers.

Everything described above are best practices, things you have to do anyway. I noticed that I have a bit of lag with the forum editor too. It's not annoying, but it's there. My guess it's a forum/Edge combo. I don't know how fast you type, I'm close to 60wpm and the delay is there, but it's not killing me. Do the above first to make sure it's not a hardware (CPU overheat), or software (driver) issue. No matter what, change the CPU cooler, not just for this, but for the CPU itself.

EDIT: There is an almost one year old thread about this issue in the Xenforo boards. I found a lot of solutions, one is to disable the Rich Text editor from the user preferences. But it means you lose all the good stuff. Performance seems to be a tiny bit better if you use the "more options" button.

EDIT#2: It seems like the forum is running a retarded query from hell, every time you type a character.

7xVtrb3.jpg

naiHUdK.jpg

It spikes a 4.5GHz i7 to 100% CPU usage every time a fucking letter is pressed. It seems to look for matching patterns for emoticons and the rest. It's also an unsolvable, chronic problem with Xenoforo, because apparently they can't hire a couple of Indian programmers to write a proper query for them.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
ohhhh shit. That's no retarded query, it's Edge's retarded CSS layout engine running 100%cpu for 112ms every time you hit a key.

Ideally xenforo would implement a workaround, but nobody tests on IE/Edge, Safari, or Firefox anymore. Try another browser hpstg.

Aenra

What other browser, lol? You effectively ruled everything except Chrome out :S
Am interested in this as am still on W7 by choice

SniperHF

Arcane

Edge is shit. I'd say use Chrome/Firefox instead but they are also shit these days. Though perhaps a lesser degree.

hpstg

Savant
ohhhh shit. That's no retarded query, it's Edge's retarded CSS layout engine running 100%cpu for 112ms every time you hit a key.

Ideally xenforo would implement a workaround, but nobody tests on IE/Edge, Safari, or Firefox anymore. Try another browser hpstg.

No, I will not, and this is a crappy excuse. Edge runs faster than Chrome for a lot of websites, and especially for mobile in similar hardware (Moto G2 and Lumia 640), Edge is night and day faster. The whole shit with Chrome is that everybody is ignoring web standards again, like in the IE6.0 days. Also XenForo has had this problem for ages, regardless of browser. Working properly with just one browser is retarded, not the opposite. A bug report at XenForo would help.

hpstg

Savant

Dude you can say that you won't do it because the user base install is small and it's not worth the time/cost to investigate. That's perfectly fine. Quoting idiotic articles from a year ago that only say that the browser doesn't have cross platform support (guess what, neither does Safari), and that it lacks extensions (which is factually untrue at this point), is the definition of

:edgy:

EDIT#1: Fuck it, I did a bug report for Edge and XenForo, let's hope they hack something for this.

Changing the browser string to Edge mobile, renders the page at the correct speed, which would indicate that whatever problem exists in the "normal" page, doesn't exist in the mobile version.

EDIT#2: Yeap, it's 100% an issue with the forum's browser detection. The detection code is bad. With the custom user agent string of
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 10.0; Android 4.2.1; Microsoft; Lumia 950) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14263

EDIT#3:I have done more tests, it's the AppleWebkit/Safari part that does it.

Performance is great. Scrolling is also much better than Chrome.

EDIT#4: Roqua if you want to try it, login to the forum, press F12, go to the Emulation tab, select Browser Profile: Desktop, User Agent String: Custom, and insert this as a string:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 10.0; Android 4.2.1; Microsoft; Lumia 950) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14263
Unfortunately you have to keep the debug window open in the background, else it will reload and the forum will send the retardocode again.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Dude you can say that you won't do it because the user base install is small and it's not worth the time/cost to investigate. That's perfectly fine. Quoting idiotic articles from a year ago that only say that the browser doesn't have cross platform support (guess what, neither does Safari)
Speaking of which, nobody uses Safari either.

hpstg

Savant
Whatever, I've lost too much breath already. Hopefully Microsoft will spoof the ID string for XenForo.

Roqua

Prospernaut

snip.

Thanks for the info. A couple questions - my issue is specifically running older games with I'm assuming no multiple core support. I can recreate the issue by tabbing out of these games, like IWD2, NWN, NWN 2, PST, etc, and that is when the fan kicks in to maximum overdrive. When I check the temps and processes all cores are running and running hotterthan they should be, but I am tabbed out at the time so that makes sense even if the games only use one core when in game. Also, I didn't state I have hard drives and a HDD 24 or so gig booster thingy. When this pc was new the first booster I had crapped out and I replaced it. After that it seems like the motherboard was off but all tests I could think of showed it as fine, including the cpu.

I almost always turn all the graphics down on console port games like Witcher 3 and Bethesda games as console graphics do nothing for me. All I want is no lag at all from anything. When I hit a button I want what it is supposed to do to happen immediately. I have zero patients and hate any lag. So I build my pcs to last 4 years and have enough oomph to be able to run new console games I may want to play at the lowest settings with no lag. The HDD booster seemed like a good workaround for drive lag since I rarely play console games and when I do I don't play for long and I assume they don't need to cache more than my system cache memory, hhd booster, system mem, and graphics card can't hold without needing to access the HD outside of loading areas and cause any drive lag on the rare occasions I play these shitty console games.

Now, just as a test I reinstalled the console game Witcher 3, which is the newest fancy smancy graphics console game I have. I barely played this console piece of shit when it first came out but I had zero issues running it. Now, it stutters and barely plays. I think I even turned every single option down, whereas I usually just stick to non character texture options. I am intimately familiar with how grass, trees, and shadows look and have no need to see them looking all super hip in a game so always turn them all the way down or off if possible. Same with anything that came out after I stopped caring about computer shit like bloom and other new fangled things I have no idea what they do so can't miss.

I'm assuming there is no actual fix for this other than changing the cpu or motherboard (something I cannot easily test). All tests say my memory and hdd booster thing are fine. My graphics card is not doing as well as it should in benchmarking, but I don't know if that is not tied to something else. Is there a simple way I can isolate the issue with some sort of downloadable test suite? My wife has cracked down on what she calls my gay budget ever since I went really crazy spending on DDO, so I don't want to have to get a new system outside of my 4 year plan, of which I still have more than two years left.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hpstg

Savant
Thanks for the info. A couple questions - my issue is specifically running older games with I'm assuming no multiple core support. I can recreate the issue by tabbing out of these games, like IWD2, NWN, NWN 2, PST, etc, and that is when the fan kicks in to maximum overdrive. When I check the temps and processes all cores are running and running hotterthan they should be, but I am tabbed out at the time so that makes sense even if the games only use one core when in game. Also, I didn't state I have hard drives and a HDD 24 or so gig booster thingy. When this pc was new the first booster I had crapped out and I replaced it. After that it seems like the motherboard was off but all tests I could think of showed it as fine, including the cpu.

I almost always turn all the graphics down on console port games like Witcher 3 and Bethesda games as console graphics do nothing for me. All I want is no lag at all from anything. When I hit a button I want what it is supposed to do to happen immediately. I have zero patients and hate any lag. So I build my pcs to last 4 years and have enough oomph to be able to run new console games I may want to play at the lowest settings with no lag. The HDD booster seemed like a good workaround for drive lag since I rarely play console games and when I do I don't play for long and I assume they don't need to cache more than my system cache memory, hhd booster, system mem, and graphics card can't hold without needing to access the HD outside of loading areas and cause any drive lag on the rare occasions I play these shitty console games.

Now, just as a test I reinstalled the console game Witcher 3, which is the newest fancy smancy graphics console game I have. I barely played this console piece of shit when it first came out but I had zero issues running it. Now, it stutters and barely plays. I think I even turned every single option down, whereas I usually just stick to non character texture options. I am intimately familiar with how grass, trees, and shadows look and have no need to see them looking all super hip in a game so always turn them all the way down or off if possible. Same with anything that came out after I stopped caring about computer shit like bloom and other new fangled things I have no idea what they do so can't miss.

I'm assuming there is no actual fix for this other than changing the cpu or motherboard (something I cannot easily test). All tests say my memory and hdd booster thing are fine. My graphics card is not doing as well as it should in benchmarking, but I don't know if that is not tied to something else. Is there a simple way I can isolate the issue with some sort of downloadable test suite? My wife has cracked down on what she calls my gay budget ever since I went really crazy spending on DDO, so I don't want to have to get a new system outside of my 4 year plan, of which I still have more than two years left.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's basically what I told you in my other post.

Things degrade. The Intel cooler that barely does the job when it is new, is most likely causing your CPU to throttle, due to dust and dry thermal paste. Change it with one of the ones I recommended.

Use DDU to perform a clean installation of the latest NVidia driver. It is not complicated. You uninstall the current driver from Programs and Features, you run DDU which will reboot you to Safe Mode where it does its thing, you restart in normal mode and you install the latest driver. Unless you care, do not install the 3D vision and GeForce experience parts.

Uninstall any antivirus you have. Windows Defender is light and more than competent for real time monitoring. Install the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware (do not select it to be a demo of the full product at the end). Use it to manually scan anything weird and anything pirated/fishy. Do a complete system scan with it (all drives) at least once. Keep in mind that neither will find things like bitcoin miners. The best method for that would be a tool like Autoruns from Sysinternals, but you really need to know what you're doing.

I have no idea what the HDD booster you refer to, is. It's either some kind of SSD or (more unlikely) a RAM drive. I need more specific details on that.

Install HWInfo64. At its normal more it's very useful because you can screenshot it and send me/post, and I can see exactly what you have. At its "sensors only" mode you can minimize it and play and we can see how your hardware behaves while you do.

None of the above steps are optional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom