Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial When a Magic Missile Just Isn't Enough

elander_

Arbiter
The important thing here is finding the right cocktail of magic spells, removing the ones that are too overpowered or just emulate what other AoD "classes" do, and keeping those that favor the AoD setting and role-playing a mage in a unique way (in relation to the other AoD "classes"). The Malkavien in Bloodlines is a good example of this, where we get unique material to play that class that isn't just another way to kill things or sneak by things.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Dunno... rather than making a 'Harry Potteresque'-World where magic is employed to replace technology (transportation, warfare etc.) I´d say restrict magic; Kinda like in The Lord of the Rings, where only a few can summon fire and lightning and whatnought, and they are powerful beings and should only be NPCs. Or maybe some kind of ritualized magic like in Call of Cthulhu (well at least the spells from the 'lesser grimoire' or what it was called).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Balor said:
By the way, creatives use of magic is why I like Wheel of Time, in spite of its ‘dresses, dresses, dresses, ornate patterns, sniffs and Men! Women! debates’.
It has everything VD described and more.
That's why the WoT game was such a colossal disappointment for me, I couldn't stand to play it. It was just... THAT? They had the WoT magic system as a basis and they came up with an ammo-based system that lets me shoot various magic projectiles, with a ridiculously low carrying capacity for many spells, too?

Fuck that.

Glorm McGlorm

Novice
Magic is supposed to be:
1) Sacred.
2) Secret.
3) Philosophical.

By focusing on the immediate effect of a spell or potion or ritual you turn it into infantile superhero powers, or at best - science fiction.

Mages should be detached, distant, hidden, feared and misunderstood. Living in remote towers, or hidden chantries, attracting attention simply because they are mages.

And magic should act as a shortcut in the laws of reality, allowing the mage or his allies to exercise their 'mundane' skills with shocking efficency. Not a 'do-it-all' with fancy video effects (although fancy video effects are welcome).

Thief has more REAL magic then D&D ever had.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that is your idea of how magic can work.
And its a nice one.
Just, please, don't try to present your idea as the one truth that every setting with magic should include. :)

Lightknight

Liturgist
It actually is the one truth. Everything else is something people just call magic, while in reality its a toolbox or a bazooka or a machinegun with different particle effects.

Balor

Arcane
Lightknight said:
It actually is the one truth. Everything else is something people just call magic, while in reality its a toolbox or a bazooka or a machinegun with different particle effects.

Or, perhaps, wise versa?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". (c).

I, in fact, hate Tolkienesque magic.
Because it's not magic there - it's much more like priestly powers. Remember – Gandalf, for instance, was not a wizard per se - he was a demigod. (I might be wrong, though - dont't remeber all intricacies Tolkien wrought in detail)

MY idea of magic that it's like quantum physics - governed by strict and utterly predicable rules... but those rules are so deep, bizzare and require so much time and intelligence to comprehend that most that try and use it never really understand HOW it works - only performing rituals that suppose to work, and afraid to chance a movement or an utterance - because they are afraid (and for a reason) of terrible consequences... and those spells are were discovered by trial and error. (And every error usually leaving researcher dead or crippled... or worse)
However, a truly powerful mage, who knows exactly how and why it works, would cast spells with 100% predictable result, much faster and efficient then mundane 'shamanistic' mages.
But once a critical mass of those 'true mages' accumulate, it's no longer 'magic' and much more like exotic science.

Of course, idea of magic being appeal to 'higher powers', with understandably unpredictable results, also have it's merits - but, like I said, it's not magic - it's divine (or unholy) invocations.
And I don't consider it 'magic', just like I would not call art of calling Bill Gates and convincing him to buy you a new car 'Conjuration trick'.

Glorm McGlorm

Novice
Historically magic is intimately tied to higher beings and religion.

There was no such thing as secular magic until recently, as far as i know.

Even hermetism was a religion and philisophy in its own right.

And since Tolkien was at the beginning of fantasy genre, his view of magic was undistorted by mainstream appeal.

Lightknight

Liturgist
MY idea of magic that it's like quantum physics - governed by strict and utterly predicable rules
Thats not magic, thats science. When you observe same result as a result of same set of actions - thats a scientific experiment right there. Whats magical about it if it always works as you intended ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom