Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with the Oblivion hate?

Ruds

Novice
<--- Lurks. I admit it. AOD looks awesome, but I haven't had cause to do anything other than read the site and forums.

But after reading threads on these forums that should be about AOD, I've seen an amazing amount of hate towards Oblivion. Now, perhaps my favorite game of all time is Arcanum, followed by Planescape, BGs, King's Fields, and Fallouts, but my taste does not explicitly prevent me from enjoying the good qualities of lesser games.

I've seen lots of use of the word "fanboy" with regard to proponents of the Elder Scrolls games, but there's another side to that coin. If you can be such a huge fan of something and be unable to see its faults, you can also be such a huge hater of something and be unable to see its qualities.

I've completely exhausted the better titles, and there's nothing good available right now, so I'm on my second character. What's with all of the Oblivion hate?

Ruds

Novice
I would have to agree with that review completely.

Many of Oblivion's hyped, groundbreaking features are in fact a joke. As an RPG is crashes. As an action game it crashes. It is, however, fun, and thanks to the community of modders (of which mostly consists of fanboys), I'd modestly say that 1/3 of all the things you hate about the game can be modded away.

As a bunch of developers sitting around talking about one title, I can see where all of the hate comes from. I get that Bethesda raked in the money on looks alone, and I get how that can be frustrating for budding developers. Vanilla Oblivion doesn't deliver anything great or even anything that was promised, so I suppose it's more fair to say that I'm enjoying a game that is so heavily modded that it is no longer Oblivion at all

After reading that review, I can empathize. The original, unmodded game, as it is intended to be played, does deserve to be the butt of many jokes. I give.

Edit: Oh yeah, all of the references were deeply imbedded into threads that were actually about AOD. In addition to however many of these there were, I also saw a couple of signatures that referred to Oblivion or ES games. So, no, there aren't any threads made about Oblivion that I saw.

Selenti

Liturgist
It's a meme.

Only our undying hatred of Oblivion unites the diverse crowd of pedophiles, rapists, conservatives and worst of all, RPers who inhabit the RPGCodex.

Without it we'd just be 4chan.

One Wolf

Scholar
the problem, perhaps, is that this is a community of people who love rpgs and prize their components highly. oblivion suffers from a dramatic lack/deformation of those elements, and is therefore an eligible target for the general malcontent surrounding the contemporary rpg market. i myself was surprised at the intense dislike i felt for the game despite being fully prepared for all its shortcomings.

gc051360

Scholar
First off it's not a good game.

It is sold as an RPG. People on this site love RPG's. And don't consider it one.

All of this would be fine, if it didn't sell so well, and have so many awards for being a fantastic RPG. And many feel, this will set the tone for the future of RPG's which is dark. Hence all of the hatred for Oblivion.

It's not just hatred for the game itself, the game serves as a symbol of the gaming industry in general, and the trends that are going on within that industry. Everything wrong with the gaming industry can be seen in Oblivion. That is why it is hated.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
Because, as a game, it fails miserably at everything it tries to do, ...

I have to disagree. Oblivion succeeded at everything it was trying to do. but what it was trying to succeed at is what made it suck.

For instance, the scaling system wasn't just a random error. The intent of the design was that the player could experience the plot elements at any time, at his own pace, regardless of any other concerns.

My understanding is that this worked pretty well for most classes. Sure, it means that the world generated is pretty stupid, but since neither the designers nor the players care about that...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Seriously, what is this topic doing in this forum? Isn't it enough that we have Oblivion threads swarming the rest of the fucking fora, we must get them in here as well?

Oh and

IN BEFORE RETARDO!

taxacaria

Scholar
Selenti said:
Only our undying hatred of Oblivion unites the diverse crowd of pedophiles, rapists, conservatives and worst of all, RPers who inhabit the RPGCodex.
No doubt, that's Oblivion's plus. Thanks to Bethesda. :D

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Selenti said:
It's a meme.

Without it we'd just be 4chan.

Dinedinhell.jpg

Ruds

Novice
Uh huh. So you guys have your own quirky community-language or just like to rip on people, or both maybe? In any case, I regret trying to run with the big kids.

Ladonna

Arcane
No, they are referring to the fact that this particular topic has been done to death.

As for running with the Big kids, getting ripped is the norm around here. Its a weeding out process, so if you cannot take a hiding and/or give it back, best that you be off.

Or not.

Just trying to say this nicely before someone else says the same thing only using nasty, naughty words. :wink:

Joe Krow

Erudite
Keep in mind that the majority of their frustration comes from their own failures and you'll be fine. They need to get laid. Bad. A decent rpg might help but mostly they need some tail.

Fez

Erudite
Online psychologists on RPG forums are well-known for being accurate and reliable sources of information.

Section8

Cipher
Ruds said:
Uh huh. So you guys have your own quirky community-language or just like to rip on people, or both maybe? In any case, I regret trying to run with the big kids.

A little from column A, a little from column B. The Codex has its memes, just like anywhere else on the web, and a goodly part of that is hostility. Don't take it personally, because everyone cops it.

Escpecially those who come along asking why we hate <x> game so much. Doubly so if that game is Oblivion. To sum up, Oblivion is a poster child for all that is bad about the games industry and RPGs in general. It does for gaming what Paris Hilton does for... whatever the hell she does. It's supposedly glitzy and glamourous, but in reality its vacant, trashy and insulting to your intelligence. Worse, it's popular.

Most of us here understand why Oblivion is the success that it is, and understand the reasons why people like it, but that doesn't make it any more admirable.

As for third-party mods, I'm of the opinion that they should be adding something to the game, not just correcting poorly thought out design decisions. Even so, you won't hear a great deal of hate toward the modders who work hard to fix Oblivion's many shortcomings. In fact, they probably get more respect than Bethesda devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom