Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all these new boards?

vrok

Liturgist
I see you can't tell the difference between a poll thread that lacks a poll and a discussion thread. And something worthwhile resulting from your stupidity doesn't make you smarter, sorry.

Anyway, it was merely an explanation as to why you're the #1 complaint right now. The truth hurts apparently. Personally, I don't really care how many useless spam threads you create a day since you will sooner or later be reigned in one way or another.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
Vault Dweller said:
then he says that lawful good means this person isn't allowed to do "bad things",

I never really liked the concrete alignment system of D&D personally because sometimes good people do bad things and vice versa. If "lawful good" never does bad things, then how come paladins can fall?
You are right, of course, which is why Warden's comment is idiotic. Besides, LG is loaded with conflicts and opportunities to do horrible things without being evil.

I think stupid shit like that should be put on display as a testament of how NOT to think.
Link to this display.

Well, in the good ol' days Andhaira wouldn't last a day, would he?
Volourn?
Volourn was knowledgeable and he could argue and present his thoughts in an intelligent manner.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=9043
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=114445
http://forums.obsidianent.com/lofiversi ... 37406.html

No comparison.

Andhaira

Arcane
vrok said:
I see you can't tell the difference between a poll thread that lacks a poll and a discussion thread. And something worthwhile resulting from your stupidity doesn't make you smarter, sorry.

Sticking a poll to a random thread doesn't somehow magically increase itsvalidity. Stop grasping at straws to support your pointless and retarded argument.

Anyway, it was merely an explanation as to why you're the #1 complaint right now

At least I'm #1 atsomething. :D

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, there'san ignore button. Learn to use it, fucktard.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just go away. I would flame you, but being flamed by the internet-equivalent of a harmless kitten isn't going to work. In the "good old days" the regulars wouldn't have had with your behaviour.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Andhaira said:
Anyhow, as I mentioned before, there'san ignore button. Learn to use it, fucktard.

What a bad excuse. If I would be number one on the ignore lists, I'd seriously ponder about my posting style and try to actually contribute something instead of just being stupid.
While some of your threads actually lead to some good discussion, many of them are just retarded [as if we wouldn't have had the FO1 vs FO2 argument a thousand times already]. Also, stop creating three threads per day.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Come now Jarl, he has as many ignores as I do; ignores do not make you an unknowledgable poster when it comes to RPGs (me), and they also don't make you unfunny (KC is a good example. I never notice him spam these days, unless the thread deserved it.).

Actually, now that we have the ignore feature, I wish we didn't have it anymore. You still get annoyed when you see "oh, that idiot posted again"; and their posts appearing in quotes does not help.

Calis

Pensionado
Andhaira said:
Actually, I'm disabling that for the time being. It'll stop working some time this evening. Reason will be provided later.

vrok

Liturgist
vrok said:
All you're doing is blurting out stupid fucking questions like "What's your shoesize?" and "Do you like pie?" with a cRPG theme and look at the aftermath. It's pretty fucking far from the "HP-less combat" and "tragedy in rpgs" threads.
Andhaira said:
HP-Less combat and tragedy in rpg's can be viewed, from your skewed perspective as pie-less combat and pies in rpg's as well.
vrok said:
I see you can't tell the difference between a poll thread that lacks a poll and a discussion thread.
Andhaira said:
Sticking a poll to a random thread doesn't somehow magically increase itsvalidity.
Dumb.

sheek

Arbiter
Stop picking on Andhaira you bitches. The reason his posts are so conspicuous is because nobody else has anything to say, he's no worse than many people I've seen and I have more interest in some of his friends than many of the news posts of VD's retarded Oblivion-bashing era. If you don't want to contribute don't read his threads and shut the fuck up

cutterjohn

Cipher
Kingston said:
I don't like change, dammit.
Change is ebil...

Calis said:
Actually, I'm disabling that for the time being. It'll stop working some time this evening. Reason will be provided later.
Good thing that I've got monkeygrease and an ignore script that works even better than the phpBB builtin one...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Calis said:
Andhaira said:

Oooh, lemme guess, the fervent clicking of the ignore button on every post Andyhair makes by every poster that reads them is destabilizing phpBB?!

cutterjohn

Cipher
Oh yeah, and stop with all teh dramaz and ...erm... "major" "changes" while I'm not around... How am I supposed to get my free intarweb dramaz entartainment?!

cutterjohn

Cipher
Calis said:
cutterjohn said:
Good thing that I've got monkeygrease and an ignore script that works even better than the phpBB builtin one...
Really?
That would be it, and AFAIK I was the one that turned it up the other year when I asked around about that, but I can't be bothered to look up the post...

I happen to like it, as it still leaves the placeholder for the post, and it's simple to just click on it and show the post, or IOW it just "hides" the post rather than not showing it altogether, which is how phpBB ignore works IIRC... Probably just does an exclusion when it does the db query to build the thread display... at a guess.

Calis

Pensionado
Likely, since I never used the fucker I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with it. The thing DU implemented was actually pretty slick though, since it was also entirely client-side CSS "hide the div with the post" business.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Calis said:
Likely, since I never used the fucker I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with it. The thing DU implemented was actually pretty slick though, since it was also entirely client-side CSS "hide the div with the post" business.
IIRC that's how the greasemonkey script works a well. I never really used it much myself either, but it was nice although highly susceptible breakage I'd think as server side stuff changes...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Curious to know, you really think Warden's thread is that bad?
Well, let's see... Warden thinks that rpg means role-playing the main character, then he says that you can't role-play someone really, then he says that lawful good means this person isn't allowed to do "bad things", and his conclusion is that the notion of role-playing is idiotic. Yes, DU, I think it's that bad. I think that stupid shit like that should be deleted instantly.
... because we've always wanted a Codex love-in where everyone pats each other on the back for coming up with another awesome definition of what an RPG is? You tear out the retards (read: majority of the world) who come here arguing that Doom is an RPG, and you tear out the heart and soul of this place, the very reason for its existence. The Codex was always about "having it out", standing your ground and fighting to the bitter end and making the retarded majority of "RPG players" in the world look like exactly what they are. Truth is, you just forgot that in your ever increasing vendetta to remove everyone who had an opinion you disagreed with. And because arguing with them wasn't working (see influx of retards during the Oblivion-era), you resorted to abuse of powers. Yup, that's what I really think. I wouldn't have minded if it was the odd one here and there you wanted to nix after a good, decent discussion but you wanted to go nuclear and take out all the bystanders as well. As you said "stupid shit like that should be deleted instantly".

Vault Dweller said:
I agree. Forums that have Let's Play threads are such unintelligent, backwater places.
Sick burn, DU. I'm bleeding inside as we speak. Well, first, the IT forums are forums of an unreleased indie game. Not sure where the expectations are coming from as it's the most backwaterest of all backwater places. We do have a few decent discussions going, but I doubt that any time soon people start referring to our forums as the place to have intelligent discussions about RPGs. You know, like they talked about the Codex in the past.
Actually most forums dissed the Codex. This is why I don't buy the whole "the good ol' days" argument that crops up. There never where any good old days. The good old days were when the Codex was derided by the mainstream because the mainstream don't get what an RPG is. That mainstream still don't get it. That's why the mainstream come here with their "stupid shit" and start threads or arguments about it. It's why we argue back. The only real thing we're going through now is a lull because there isn't a big mainstream RPG to bash. This site was built on bashing Morrowind, Oblivion and the other mainstream games of the day, which attracted an audience of retards (see Oblivion-era) which we then "educated" in our own unique way. If you really think that now, that's all just "stupid shit" and there's no point for discussion, instead that stuff needs to be deleted instantly, well then we may as well shut-down the Codex, stick up some long-winded article about what an RPG is in its place and be done with it.

Vault Dweller said:
Second, our let's play thread is different. It's a let's play thread of a game in development. It shows gameplay elements to people and generate feedback and suggestions, which, quite obviously, isn't the case with the FF7 thread, for example.
The let's play thread here isn't a problem. Nor is yours. I really don't care what the difference is. It's a thread that people are enjoying. Who cares if it's only here "for the lulz"? Half of what we do (insulting mainstream retards) is "for the lulz".

Vault Dweller said:
Here's the thing, I don't. I've been around enough forums to know that it's the retards who start most of the discussion. Funny I know, but true.
Saying that it's true doesn't make it so. Active posters start most threads. If active posters are mostly retards, then you are right. If they aren't, then you are wrong. Simple as that.
Why do you think Oblivion generated so much discussion? Because of its in-depth RPG design and how much we loved the game as a Real RPG? Nope. It's because the forum was flooded with retards arguing how much of a decent RPG it is, while we batted them about with blunt objects. Why do you think Andhaira's threads hit page 5? Because he's an intelligent person capable of having reasonable discussion and everyone is so over-whelmingly in support of his views that he needs to be congratulated? No, it's because everyone's chewing him up and spitting him out for his asinine "rat diplomacy". Without a difference of opinion, there is no debate. Without debate, the Codex will be full of single page threads where someone posts another fantastic piece on why Fallout is the greatest game ever and eveyrone else posts "Oh sir, I do so agree with your opinion. Let us have some tea and scones". Sounds like a boring fucking Codex to me.

Vault Dweller said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
I think stupid shit like that should be put on display as a testament of how NOT to think.
Link to this display.
No different to this display of intelligent RPG discussion. Doesn't mean we aren't allowed to have any similar discussions ever again, just because we've already got a forum over-flowing with it.

Vault Dweller said:
Saint Proverbius said:
Vault Dweller said:
Well, in the good ol' days Andhaira wouldn't last a day, would he?
Volourn?
Volourn was knowledgeable and he could argue and present his thoughts in an intelligent manner.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=9043
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=114445
http://forums.obsidianent.com/lofiversi ... 37406.html

No comparison.
sheek, bryce777, Sarvis, The Walkin' Dude, Warden, Mr. Van_Buren... Take your pick. The only people who did leave "after a day" (usually it was more about two weeks) were the fly-by-nighters who usually only came here defending their own article in the news forum.

Calis said:
Yeah, I had to re-work the forum layout to do that though. Instead of all posts being a row within one big table, each post is its own individual stand-alone table so that I could hide it without messing things up. It didn't seem to like divs in-between table row tags. It's why when someone posts a fat ass image now, it only breaks the width of that single post and not every post in the thread (which I see as a positive upside).

I don't know what direction Saint's going to take the Codex now that he's back but I trust it'll be a good one that won't involve some kind of apocalypse. I've known Saint long enough to trust that he has good judgement, so we'll see. Mind you that was an awesome ignore feature. It'll be sad to see it go. :cry:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
You tear out the retards (read: majority of the world) who come here arguing that Doom is an RPG, and you tear out the heart and soul of this place, the very reason for its existence.
You really think that was the reason?

Truth is, you just forgot that in your ever increasing vendetta to remove everyone who had an opinion you disagreed with.
Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? 'cause I recall having plenty of disagreements, but I don't recall removing anyone.

And because arguing with them wasn't working (see influx of retards during the Oblivion-era), you resorted to abuse of powers.
Like?

Yup, that's what I really think. I wouldn't have minded if it was the odd one here and there you wanted to nix after a good, decent discussion but you wanted to go nuclear and take out all the bystanders as well.
Yes. I wanted to clean up the place. However, I asked for the admins' consensus first, in case your memory is failing you. Btw, why are we talking about that again? Do you have any unresolved issues? I thought that after you sent me that email we were cool, no?

Actually most forums dissed the Codex. This is why I don't buy the whole "the good ol' days" argument that crops up. There never where any good old days.
You know better. Of course, you weren't around at that time, but I'm sure you know better.

This site was built on bashing Morrowind...
This Morrowind? 3 out of 4 admins' "pick of the year" Morrowind?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=27

I don't know what direction Saint's going to take the Codex now that he's back but I trust it'll be a good one that won't involve some kind of apocalypse. I've known Saint long enough to trust that he has good judgement, so we'll see. Mind you that was an awesome ignore feature. It'll be sad to see it go. :cry:
Thank God it's gone. It sums up the new regime perfectly - "Don't like something? Let's ignore it and pretend that everything is great"

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
edith_bowman_465x370.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
DarkUnderlord said:
You tear out the retards (read: majority of the world) who come here arguing that Doom is an RPG, and you tear out the heart and soul of this place, the very reason for its existence.
You really think that was the reason?
Yup. The Codex was setup to discuss what we want in RPGs and to defend it. We've always been against deleting the moron's arguments (it's why Retardo Land was setup) and against using the ban hammer against people who simply stated an opinion we didn't like (EG: Banning SpaceMoose, dumbfucking vrok etc..).

Vault Dweller said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Truth is, you just forgot that in your ever increasing vendetta to remove everyone who had an opinion you disagreed with.
Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? 'cause I recall having plenty of disagreements, but I don't recall removing anyone.
"Ever increasing vendetta to remove" them. Your stated course of action was quite clear, you wanted them gone. No ifs, no buts. Eventually what happened, happened, because you were insistent that it was either your way, or you were gonna take your bat and ball and setup elsewhere.

Vault Dweller said:
Yes. I wanted to clean up the place. However, I asked for the admins' consensus first, in case your memory is failing you. Btw, why are we talking about that again? Do you have any unresolved issues? I thought that after you sent me that email we were cool, no?
I honestly don't know why you raised the issue again, suggesting we should be nuking threads now before they even start and once again lamenting the "demise of the Codex". Apparently knowing full well you still wouldn't have any consensus for that and the other admins would never go for it. Hell, Saint's back now and even he's just said he won't go for it. And it wasn't so much a consensus you wanted, as it was us to capitulate to your demands. Sad fact is, it probably would've been fine... Assuming any of us had actually been able to trust your judgement.

Vault Dweller said:
Of course, you weren't around at that time, but I'm sure you know better.
I've always been around (after all, it's why my join date is earlier than yours). I just wasn't on staff at that time. As I've said previously, I was initially on staff when it was being set up and everyone was talking about what sort of site they wanted (that was back when the Codex was a secret planning forum on Terra-Arcanum). I left staff shortly after it was setup but stuck around the forums and have been here ever since. I came back on staff after Rex left. I've always been "around" though.

Vault Dweller said:
This Morrowind? 3 out of 4 admins' "pick of the year" Morrowind?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=27
Yup. That's the one. I see that article was posted before you even signed up on the forums here. You obviously weren't around at that time to know better. ;)

I mean look, it's clear you and I disagree with the state of the Codex and how things should be handled. It's clear the rest of the admin's disagree. That's fine and I don't mind discussing it. I don't know how Saint's return is going to play out yet but I'm confident he's going to have good reasons for what he does, because I've known him as an admin long enough that I trust his judgement. But as I've said before in this thread, we've got groups within the forum insisting that other groups within the forum be banned because they seemingly just don't like them and I'm sorry, but I don't see the need to begin arbitrarily deleting threads instead of Retardo'ing them. And hey, if the state of the Codex bothers you so much, make a thread about some RPG design elements instead of complaining that we're still not nuking threads like you want us to (and know we never will). You have your own forums now. If you're adamant the Codex has gone to hell and don't believe the new regime is going make the Codex you want, you're perfectly free to do whatever you want on your own forums. After all, I've got better things to do than to pop over there to tell you that "ur doin it rong".

/grabs some popcorn from Gnidrologist.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
You are right, of course, which is why Warden's comment is idiotic. Besides, LG is loaded with conflicts and opportunities to do horrible things without being evil.

D&D alignment has always been a pisser if you stop and think about it both as a player and a DM. Is it a guideline? Is it an immutable law? What if my character changes due to circumstances of events in a campaign? What events can I, as a DM, cause that puts a character in internal conflict or should I even do it?

Depending on the philosophy of the players and gamemaster, it's either. Declaring alignment is like declaring a character's emotional state on the character sheet. "I am Bob the Dwarf, a 10th level fighter and I'm always HAPPY!" Other than a paladin, there's not much need to even declare an alignment. But that's just my take on it. I can also see the point of view of the DMs/Players who insist it's sacred.

Oh, the popcorn picture was classic. :D

PS. VD, you still must complete AoD before Clive completes Grimoire or face eternal embarrassment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom