Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Whats the coolest and most unique atlus game/series outside of smt

Goblino

Savant
Pretty much what it says on the tin. Atlus love to go outside the box and they tend to produce some of the most experimental jrpgs. Name some that you like and why so that I can go and buy them and enjoy them.

Wouldn't call them experimental, but they distributed the best Japanese Wizardry, Tale of the Forsaken Land, for the PS2. It's a very good game.

Etrian Odyssey is a solid dungeon crawler series if you can get past the weeaboo aesthetic.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well: (only listening developed by Atlus)

Radiant Historia (Play this in any case if you haven't already)
The Trauma Center Series
Hellnight
Maken X/Maken Shao
Catherine
Princess Crown (only jp)
Tokyo Mono Hara Shi (same)
Dungeon Explorer

Yeah, that should be everything relevant if I'm not missing something.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Wouldn't call them experimental, but they distributed the best Japanese Wizardry, Tale of the Forsaken Land, for the PS2. It's a very good game.

Etrian Odyssey is a solid dungeon crawler series if you can get past the weeaboo aesthetic.

I second both of them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're probably better with another company for 'experimental', like Sting Entertainment (although many games of them are published by Atlus).

Goblino

Savant
Tale of the Forsaken Land

That's that shit I keep forgetting to try. Great suggestions. I guess I'm not super well versed in nip games, but I've always seen atlus games as daringly niche or uncommon, particularly ps2 era things like metal saga and handfuls of ds games that the white man imported but never played. Seems to me that their most common mainstream stuff is Persona and Smt mainline. Both of those games were made with unusually western design until of course p3/p4 (the slickening). Mainline Smt is one of the few jrpgs where you have to actually play the game and know some of what's going on under the hood to win, and is almost completely untainted by shitty filler dialogue and cutscenes to take you out of the game every ten paces.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Hellnight is awesome, my favorite horror game alongside Silent Hill 1. It's basically a dungeon crawler with no combat, with one big motherfucker hunting you down in an abandoned underground military complex. Has a really unique story as well. Definitely recommended.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Play Radiant Historia. It's probably one of my favorite handheld games and has a killer soundtrack by the awesome Yoko Shimomura.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom