Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best RTS faction, artistically?

Read the title nigga

• Wc2 Alliance (for LG paladin players)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wc3 orcs (upstart chads)

• RA2 allies (high IQ techno geeks)

• Ra3 allies (no-nonsense professionals)

• Ra3 soviets (football hooligans in tanks)

• Ra3 japanese (pikachu ninja hey!)

• C&C 3 Scrin (War of the Worlds ayys)

• SupCom UEF (Starship Troopers)

• Rise of Legends Cuotl (Jaguar Supremacy)

• Total voters

Vlajdermen

Arcane
By "artistically" I mean in terms of visual design, ideas, unit responses, voice acting, music, and overall theming.

Vatnik Wumao
I'd go for some of the DoW factions. Chaos in particular gets bonus points due to the great VA for the Khornate Berserker that pulls off that psychotic vibe well,

That said, personally I prefer the Imperial Guard. Simple, yet iconic aesthetic and just as good VA work for the lines (particularly the Bri'ish chav accents for the rank & file units).
8GEwy8N.jpg

ss_18799b8f7277c398cad92586c968e2ad95e805d9.1920x1080.jpg

Trithne

Erudite
Voted for Yuri's Army, because it just beautifully rounded out RA2 thematically - You had the Allies, all smooth lines and shiny metal with high tech units, the Soviets with their angular brick fortresses and simple no-nonsense units, and Yuri being a Bond Villian with all the "weird" tech - Genetics, Psychics. It was the injection of Mad Science that game needed to complete the campy pulpness of it all.

Luka-boy

Arcane
GLA is the most memorable for me out of those because even if they're a walking meme, the devs made impeccable use of said goofiness for their aesthetic and gameplay mechanics.

It's a perfect blend.

I like the Aeon Illuminate best. They've got that "early 00s sci-fi CGI" look, which I enjoy, and they have cute tomboys, which I also enjoy.

I gotta thank this thread for reminding me of Rise of Legends. I thought that game was fantastic at the time, what a pity it didn't make it big.

Aemar

Arcane
This question cannot be answered correctly while Rise of Legends the original Age of Mythology is out of the poll.
Fixed. Best Age of Empires game ever. Everything pertaining to this game is so iconic - faction design, sounds, music, voice acting (prostagma?). Most aesthetically pleasing faction out of the three original ones must be the Greek faction, home to the classical heroes and mythical monster units.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are many cool factions in RTSs series, some of my favorites:

Warwind series has really cool factions that both look and play differently, most interesting is one plant based race.

Fallen from Armies of Exigo, they feel like a Cthulian faction.

Aliens from Dark Colony, Greys with machineguns are fun.

KKND have both cool mutant and robot faction.

But my favorite is GLA from C&C Generals, I just find it so amusing to command terrorists with improvised vehicles, biological weapons and suicide bombers.

Aemar

Arcane
By "artistically" I mean in terms of visual design, ideas, unit responses, voice acting, music, and overall theming.
Terrans (Mad Max... in SPACE!)
Protoss (CMB's Neanderthals)
Zerg (sci-fi turks)
Wc2 Horde (teh eval)
Wc2 Alliance (for LG paladin players)
Wc3 orcs (upstart chads)
Wc3 humans (Garithos did nothing wrong)
Wc3 Night Elves (for homosexual hippies)
Wc3 Undead (2002 edgy edge)
It's common knowledge Warcraft and Starcraft are Warhammer rip-offs, and Blizzard has somehow managed to get away with it.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
both the Taiidan and the Kushan from Homeworld 1 have some of my most favorite ship designs, which are clearly inspired by Chris Foss' great art style

Zibniyat

Arcane
What a trollish thread. Talking about aesthetics but offering Warcraft games as examples in the same breadth.​

Vlajdermen

Arcane
But my favorite is GLA from C&C Generals, I just find it so amusing to command terrorists with improvised vehicles, biological weapons and suicide bombers.
GLA is high up for me too. They have some of the best voice lines and music in the genre.

Listen to this. Klepacki completely outdid himself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just want to applaud your creativity for the description texts for each and every one of the voting options. :D

Suicidal

Arcane
Why are there 2 entries for NOD but not a single one for GDI?

Also want to add that everyone who picked Generals GLA has impeccable taste. Inshallah, brothers.

Starcraft 1 factions are well done: music, gameplay, art.. the only bad thing is the lore/story, i share similar view with the autist RaggleFraggle in this thread:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/starcraft.139970/page-4

Protoss are boring 'good wise guys' space elves.
Zerg are just bugs slaves of Kerrigan.
Terran is a bit better, but we only follow a group of characters, not much about their civilization or factions in there.

I may be asking too much for a RTS game, but this sucks. Keep in mind i've only played Starcraft 1, the second game ruined the atmosphere, and fuck that Reynor/Kerrigan romance plot ruined the already mediocre story. And i don't read wiki for lore, i'm not this autist.

Lore/story aside, everything is great, it's the only RTS i've played so far in each faction feels unique, to some extent(more on this later). The music in all three of them is amazing and distinct:

Warcraft 3 tried the same but just ripped off some ideas from starcraft, the Necromancer terrain thing is ripped off from Zerg, the nightelves movable buildings is ripped off from Terran, the story itself is ripped off from Starcraft, Arthas is basically Kerrigan, the music is major decline from Warcraft 2:

Youtube seems to agree with me, Warcraft 2 ost having double the views despite its age, the only memorable track in Warcraft 3 is this one:

Of course i haven't played all RTS to judge the factions, but from the ones i've played:

Age of Empires 2: 3/10 for the factions, there's only one unique unit to each of them, gameplay is mostly similar, native americans can not use horses and trebuchet, and have unique warriors, i think that's the biggest difference, no unique music. Haven't played the campaign.

Age of Mythology: 7/10 for the factions. factions have different units, gods, ways to gain favor, abilities, but they lack unique music and atmosphere, only the intro music is unique. Still great. Campaign is not separated for each faction, you need to play the entire campaign in order first, so that is a negative point.

Dune 2000: music are the same, few unique units, gameplay is the same, but the factions fmvs are great so i give you that, 5/10 for the factions. House of Ordos fmvs specially good:

https://youtu.be/BZrStHhSL1w

Starcraft: unique music and atmosphere, unique units, unique gameplay mechanics and campaigns, this is the best i've played yet, 9/10 for the factions.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms: i do remember the factions being well made, the cutscenes as well for the campaign, however it has been a long time since i played it it's hard to judge. The factions have unique units, music, hero and mechanics, i think one of the factions was pretty good on water but shitty on land. The expansion supposed to add another faction but i haven't played, anyway i give it a 7/10. Campaign is not separated. This is judging the factions only, the game itself is flawed as hell, some missions are terribly designed, but the factions are well done.

Warcraft 2: great music, art and atmosphere between the two factions, gameplay is mostly the same however, and the campaign as well. 6/10.

Warcraft 3: unique music, atmosphere, great art, some variety in the gameplay but not as much as Starcraft. 8/10.

I've played other RTS games, but not enough to judge. Going back to Starcraft, while it does have variety, the resource collecting of each faction still mostly the same, and the base building as well, save for some small differences. I think that's the biggest problem with RTS, resource collecting and base building are too static and defensive, they always give you a base and enough resource to collect for 30min right in the beginning of each map, this could be different, it should give a few military units so you explore and search for resources and where to build you first base, sorta like Civilization, and the resources should not last too long or there are unique resources that gives major advantage, so you should be fighting for resources right from the get go, turtling should be discouraged unless you already conquered good spot for resources, and maybe each faction having their own type of resources as well. This is some ideas which may not work well for multiplayer, but fun for single.

For the poll, it was a draw between Terran and Zerg, but in the end i choose the Zerg, it's the most fun to play, i like 'evil' vibes from it as well, the last mission of Brood War, surrounded by tough enemies and having to rush them(you can not turtle in this one)while listening to this:

took 10 hours, losing over and over again until i succeed, best experience i had in a RTS.

But i haven't played the other games, except for Warcraft 2/3, so i'm only choosing between these three games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom