Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best RPG you ever played (REAL POLL)

What's the best RPG you ever played?

• Planescape: Torment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baldur's Gate Trilogy

• Final Fantasy 7

• Morrowind

• Arcanum

• Bloodlines

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Fallout 1,2

• Neverwinter Nights 2, MotB

• Ultima 7, Serpent Isle

• Kotor 1,2

• Betrayal at Krondor

• The Witcher

• Kingcomrade

• Total voters

Hory

Erudite
Torment has the best writing, but as games, Fallout(s) are better.

Topher

Cipher
Fallout of course, I played it when I was 12 or so and I holds a lot of nostalgia for me. It is a big part of why I love games so much and holds countless memories for me.

I have to give a nod to PST though as it is the most well-written RPG I have played and it really draws you in to it's world and characters. I even enjoy the RTwP combat that the infinity engine games offer. Every infinity game is a great, IWD for it focus on combat (a nice alternative for Diablo), BG for it's open world and epic story-line, and of course PST for it's world, characters (both party and NPC), and the 100 other great things about it.

I would also like to give a nod to Arcanum, I followed this game heavily before release and all other games need to look at that pre-release as an example of how to do it right; game had a great website. The game also had a fantastic character creation system that allowed for a lot of fun and unique builds and the game really felt and reacted differently with each new character.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Planescape is the best, it isn't even a contest. But it would be a very close contest between FO and BaK if it wasn't for PST.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The best in this poll is PS:T.
The best missing from this poll is Wizardry 7.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Meh, Planescape was only good up to the point where you leave Sigil for Curst. It kind of loses its flare after that.

Higher Game

Arcane
Mojo said:
Where's the Darklands option?

Too much of a simulation to be considered a tr00 RPG. :twisted:

Fat Dragon said:
Meh, Planescape was only good up to the point where you leave Sigil for Curst. It kind of loses its flare after that.

The endgame more than makes up for it.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ultima 7/SI did shit that many 'modern' rpgs only wished they could do.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Difficult decision between Ultima 7 and Fallout 1.
Picked Fallout because it was my first. But aside from that, Ultima 7 tops everything on that list by a large margin.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ebonsword said:
I voted for BG2. I haven't played Bloodlines, either Fallout, Ultima VII, Betrayal at Krondor, or the Witcher, though.

Then what the hell are you doing here, infidel?

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout 1 compared to Fallout 2 how? I played F2 first, when I tried F1 (purely for curiousity factor) it's just cant make the grade.

And Fallout 2 just cant make the grade compare to PST. Especially in the characters factor. I mean, you got a gloomy suicidal (or nearly) monk, a prissy hooker (aint that a laugh), a chick crazy for you but must abstain or her blood will boil (due to hotness), and that chatty floating skull. Man, those were great. Still great.

oh I know the post-apo stuff is cool. I like it, even. But the characters make the cut, here.

Arcanum is great but after a time playing it's loosing the luster somehow... perhaps because it didnt create various different contrasting atmostphere like PST. I mean, the city-on-trees is different from that industrial city, true. But it's not like the diffence between City of Thousand Portals and the Curst, or the Maze, or the catacombs.

Planescape: Torment! Truly a gem of the past. It's rare that some recent game can attempt to topple its greatness.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Yes.

Hence, MotB is a better game, and Betrayal At Krondor remains the best RPG ever made.

BTW, Mareus, you've finished Krondor, yet?

mondblut

Arcane
Whoa, whole two pre-97 games comparing to previous iteration.

Still a long way to go, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom