Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best RPG you ever played (REAL POLL)

What's the best RPG you ever played?

• Planescape: Torment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baldur's Gate Trilogy

• Final Fantasy 7

• Morrowind

• Arcanum

• Bloodlines

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Fallout 1,2

• Neverwinter Nights 2, MotB

• Ultima 7, Serpent Isle

• Kotor 1,2

• Betrayal at Krondor

• The Witcher

• Kingcomrade

• Total voters

RainSong

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Fallout 1 all the way.

But but but

Fallout had soooo loooong loading/saving times. Don't you remember? The further into the game the longer they get. At the end of the game it was like 3-4 min to save/load. It was unplayable (and on a fast p166mmx at the time too). And after over 10 years it's still unplayable , I just recently tried to play it and gues what, it crushed in Junktown and the bug spread on the earlier saves and they too started to crush.

Fallout is unplayable piece of crap!!

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Fallout.

First RPG I played at 7 years old, died several times in the rat cave, barely understood the stats or even how to level, but I still enjoyed the game. It had a great story, characters, atmosphere and gameplay - I might have substituted it with simplistic diablo for a few years, but returned when I realised how many things that game lacked and Fallout had.

Would have put Planscape but you can only really 'properly' play through the game once. The second time would be disappointing because you've already figured out the mysteries. Also Arcanum, even though I gave it a lot of shit before and had to force myself through the terrible combat, annoying interface and various other flaws, it still ended up extremely satisfying in terms of story, world and atmosphere.

Mareus

Magister
Wyrmlord said:
Fat Dragon said:
Meh, Planescape was only good up to the point where you leave Sigil for Curst. It kind of loses its flare after that.
Yes.

Hence, MotB is a better game, and Betrayal At Krondor remains the best RPG ever made.

BTW, Mareus, you've finished Krondor, yet?
No, not yet. I got distracted with ME, but I have played it a lot and I believe I have seen enough to say it is one of the best RPGs ever made since I am one of those people who believe you don't grow a third eye out of your ass or something if you finished the game. I stopped playing when I came to the sewers under Krondor. I decided to leave the game for some other time, since I got Mass Effect around that time and was eager to play it. Unfortunately I have this thing that allows me to play only one game at a time and I don't like continuing from where I left on after few weeks of rest from the game. So I will finish Krondor some other time, from the start.

Dark Individual said:
sportforredneck said:
I haven't played through much of PST, or Arcanum.

Decline of the Codex.
Well being that I basically know what happens in both, it kind of removes the urge to play. Though I'll work on it. It's a goal to complete soon.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
sportforredneck said:

Decline of the Codex.
Do you really think so? I love Torment, but there is more to RPGs than that. Sportforredneck is actually quite well-versed in RPGs, because he knows quite alot about the older ones.

I mean, you have to be hardcore to finish Wizardry 6,7, and 8.

Texas Red

Whiner
sportforredneck said:
Dark Individual said:
sportforredneck said:

Decline of the Codex.
Well being that I basically know what happens in both, it kind of removes the urge to play. Though I'll work on it. It's a goal to complete soon.

Arcanum has a lot of C&C. There are even the slides showing how your actions affected the world ala Fallout. You can become a god and that will affect the ending too. I never personally experienced it because the quest is somewhat difficult, but you can become a Quiet God, Evil God and so on.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Cloaked Figure said:
Wilco said:
Also Arcanum, even though I gave it a lot of shit before and had to force myself through the terrible combat, annoying interface and various other flaws, it still ended up extremely satisfying in terms of story, world and atmosphere.

i remember arguing with you about that. how does it feel to know you were wrong?

Well I admit I was wrong on basically graphics... dated but at least aesthetically pleasing and diverse, especially Tulla and Qintarra (resolution patch helped).

I remember arguing that the combat in Arcanum is bad, and after completing it my opinion hasn't changed, in fact it's just been exasperated due to the annoyingly large amount of bash-over-the-head style killing in the game. Killing those fucking screaming gorilla things over and over was really getting on my nerves, I wanted to quit quite close to the ending. I also remember mentioning side quests being very fed-ex like, and many were basically fed-ex, but by mid game the strength of the main story and certain other interesting side quests overshadowed the fed-ex stuff.

Yea, okay, you were right - the game wins in story, atmosphere, C&C - but it's so annoyingly flawed (why the fuck couldn't they expand and flesh out Tulla? One of the more interesting cities in the game) that you really do need to see past a lot of frustration to get to the sweat spots.

xuerebx

Erudite
Fallout 1, closely followed by Fallout 2. Morrowind after them. And one of NWN's expansions, forgot the name, I spent too much time playing said expansion.

Deleted member 7219

Higher Game said:
Matt7895 said:
And that is an RPG, how?

Careful, the dungeon-grinder fans here will eat you alive. :lol: As for the greatest, the only answer can be PS:T. Fallout is great, not the greatest.

Planescape Torment is an RPG. Fallout is an RPG. Wizardry 8 is a fucking dungeon crawler.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Look Matt, we all know RPGs started out as tabletop wargames. It was merely fighting battles with a specialized group of people. They expanded it further to also include some particular situations between battles, such as crossing bridges and removing traps.

That's all that a RPG is. That makes any dungeon crawler automatically qualify to be a RPG. Besides, what RPG elements does Morrowind have that Wizardry does not?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cloaked Figure said:
well, i played the game on release, when i was like 12, and found no flaws, at such a young age the game was perfect. i guess if i played it a bit later i wouldn't have like it so much but even now on my 25th+ replay, i still can't find any flaws. i guess im just sub-conciously stubborn.

i guess i can see why some people wouldn't love it as much as i do.

If you're really an alt of Shota, then how's your Arcanum mod going? If it's anywhere near completion, tell me, I need a reason to replay Arcanum... again. Heck I can't even remember how often I played that game. I guess at least once per year.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cloaked Figure said:
edit: and I've been improving my english speaking skills to improve the quality of my dialogue. Right now it's pretty meh.

Need a good writer? Just ask, I might help out if I don't have anything else to do.

Vibalist

Arcane
I picked the BG trilogy for the sake of nostalgia. I realise now, when replaying the games, that they aren't as great as I thought the first time I played them about 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm still particularly fond of them as they were my first roleplaying games.
And the city Amn also has an athmosphere that's unrivaled by any other city/location found in a game on this list. It simply feels so alive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom