Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best Pokémon game?

Paladino

Literate
I'm currently playing through FR on my Anbernic machine and it really loses steam past Lavender Town, though with age I wouldn't claim that the water section is as incessantly long as, say, in gen3, it's dungeon-length really

As someone who played and liked the originals Red and Blue, I really can't point any faults with these remakes. It's just a more polished, pleasant and consistent experience.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'm currently playing through FR on my Anbernic machine and it really loses steam past Lavender Town, though with age I wouldn't claim that the water section is as incessantly long as, say, in gen3, it's dungeon-length really

As someone who played and liked the originals Red and Blue, I really can't point any faults with these remakes. It's just a more polished, pleasant and consistent experience.
more consistent how

Kuruwin

Novice
With Pokemon I gravitate towards to mystery dungeon titles of which the second is the best. Diamond has place in my heart for being the first Pokemon game I played, but Arceus is the best. Violet/Scarlet did take thing's forward and I have some hope for future main titles, but Pokemon games tend to be pretty yarning. The battling is the worst part and if they don't want to revamp the system then at least let me take all the animations off.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
The main problem with Pokemon is how slooooooow battles are to resolve. The text appears slowly and waits on the healthbar animation. Most people just use their emulator's frame limit toggle, but what if you're playing on the actual hardware (less of a concern for me) or enjoy the music?

Anyway, this is what prevented me from playing more games in the series or replaying the classics. After I finished one of the GBA ones, I just didn't want to waste so much time with another title, even though generally I enjoy the game's systems and combat -- only needs to be snappier.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just throwing it out there since the thread is going to be full of pokemon fans: If you haven't tried Monster Sanctuary yet, you're missing out. Fantastic game.

75% off right now too. Absolute steal.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The fantasy is that you are a beastmaster who bonds with one or two fantastical creatures
That's the anime, which came after the games massive success
The games have always been about "Gotta catch them all!" - and in case you don't know, the creator of the franchise based the game's idea of his childhood hobby, which was bug collecting

Dr1f7

Scholar
the tcg is fun, it's like the games minus all the "running around" and "talking to npcs" garbage
too bad the online platform for it sucks donkey shit

Üstad

Arcane
I didn't play pokemon games for a long time, what does natures do and how does EXP scaling, perfect stats and IVs vary colors work exactly?
  • Natures: Enables natures from Gen 3 onward.
  • Abilities: Enables abilities from Gen 3 onward.
  • Phys/Spcl split: Enables the Physical/Special split from Gen 4 onward.
  • Exp. scaling: Enables the experience formula from Gen 5, 7 and 8, which scales experience by the ratio of the opponent's level to your level.
  • IVs vary colors: Enables color variation inspired by Stadium. DVs will subtly vary Pokémon colors. This applies to normal and shiny Pokémon.
  • Perfect stats: All Pokémon stats, for you and the opponent, are calculated as if they had maximum IVs. The actual IVs are still random, so color variation and Hidden Power type are not affected.

You can check the auther's github out. https://github.com/Rangi42/polishedcrystal
Did you play 3.0.0 beta or official 2.2.0 version? Which one do you suggest?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played exactly 1 pokemon game for more than a few minutes, Pokemon Emerald in GBA emulation (I lost the Save game so that was the only reason I never completed it). It was compelling enough to make me want to go on. I'm slightly interested in what the current state of Pokemon is and how it handled the shift to 3D. Mods and romhacks like Pokemon Luminescent and Pokemon Unbound look like they might be worth investigating, in a trippy, "Hey Man! The colors, the colors! Far out, man!" kind of way with at least ramped up difficulty.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Pokemon peaked mechanically around gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) or 5 (Black, White). However it peaked aesthetically probably in gen 2 (Gold, Silver, Crystal). The games were always too easy and too basic (they should've been designed around doubles or triples from the start to make battles more engaging). I can't bring myself to revisit any of them because starting out with 1 or 2 Pokemon that know 1 or 2 moves each makes the early game way too boring.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Last year I've checked out an unofficial browser game named Pokémon Showdown which is a Pokémon battle simulator. Play Pokémon battles online wih other players! Play with randomly generated teams, or build your own!

It's pretty cool and doesn't require an e-mail to play or register an account.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Pokemon has always been inferior to several Pokemon clones, but the experience of playing the original gens 1 and 2, and trying to take your created team through Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 is a legit challenge and, to me, quite enjoyable.

If you say Stadium 1 and 2 are easy, you're lying

ind33d

Learned
pokemon would have been better if you drafted your team like football instead of catching them

"gengar, piss in this bottle. we need to test you for rare candies"

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Speaking of Dragon Quest Monsters, I wanted to see the current state of Citra since their lawsuit so I downloaded the last nightly build, found the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 english-translated rom (which I heard is a good monster catching series), and fired it up in the emu. Well, real nice cut scenes at least and great starting house interior but once you step outside after the beginning, it runs with more stutter than Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K on a GPU (integrated) from 10 years ago. And so ended my experiment in modern monster catching EmuLand. Every now and then I just have this compulsion to do something game-related that's goofy and futile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom