Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking for a mid-late 90s arcade racing game.

• Quake 1 level graphics, textured low res 3D with no hardware rendering. Semi realistic style.
  • Probably 96/97/98.
  • You can pick from various characters that each have their own vehicles. At the selection screen it shows a big realistic-cartoonish drawing of the character. I think one guy is named Nail and drives a Humvee. Another guy drives a bus.
  • Some levels have lava fields that you drive past.
  • Not Ignition, the cars are big sized and take up much more of your screen.
Been looking for this for years, can't find it on any lists nor any screenshots anywhere. It's like it never existed. Appreciate any help.

Powerslide?

Master

Arbiter
Whats this game: a dude jumps off a bridge to a ship bellow in rain, starts sneaking about and hides a guards body in a locker. He has a strip tied around his forehead like Rambo.
Edit
Its in third person.
It was 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

• Quake 1 level graphics, textured low res 3D with no hardware rendering. Semi realistic style.
  • Probably 96/97/98.
  • You can pick from various characters that each have their own vehicles. At the selection screen it shows a big realistic-cartoonish drawing of the character. I think one guy is named Nail and drives a Humvee. Another guy drives a bus.
Been looking for this for years, can't find it on any lists nor any screenshots anywhere. It's like it never existed. Appreciate any help.

Powerslide?

That sounds like a precursor to Twisted Metal?

Parsifarka

Arcane
It fits the vague description I've given, but I was quite convinced the game wasn't released on PC (since I'm positive I played it on an emulator) and didn't have the episodic structure of Duke Nukem clones, as well as more advanced visuals. I'll give it a try and check if it could be the one.
BTW, while searching for this game I found Titus the fox, which along Sonic 2 is the first game I ever played. Well met!
Should anyone be curious, turns out five years later I found out at last what game it was that I was looking for: MAGICIAN LORD.
This year I have gone through a huge rediscovery of NeoGeo, meeting again many childhood memories with Last Blade, Samurai Shodown, Sengoku, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Super Dodge Ball, Street Hoop... and Crossed Swords! that's another game I wasn't sure whether it was real or just a memory of a child's dream, what a gorgeous thing to play, and I learnt it has a sequel even better with multiple characters.
What a wonderful system, what a great time it was for videogames.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
An online conversation I had recently.

Old Gamer: Hey, do you remember that game that was kinda like Heroes of Might and Magic, except you were all by yourself?
Me: That's a little vague, could you be a little more specific?
Old Gamer: Yeah, it was top-down view, and you were on a horse, in a fantasy setting, and you could wander around the countryside and do quests and stuff. You went faster by using the roads, but you really had to go off the beaten path to find things.
Me (thinks): And when was this?
OG: *gives info that places it close to 1992*
Me: Is a lot like HoMM, but isn't HoMM? Sounds like it's either Warlords or Moonstone.
OG: No, it's not Moonstone.
Me: Could it be King's Bounty, the OG HoMM-game?
OG: Maybe. How can I see screenshots from the game?
Me: *gives info to a site that allows him to do that*

EgUDEtI.png

Me: So it's a pseudo-RPG with strategy elements that's part of a series, and when the game starts this face appears which talks to you.
OG: *still browsing box covers* Yup. I remember the face, but not what it said.
Me: We've been at this for two hours now, my battery's almost dead and I need to cook dinn-
OG: Wait. I think I found it.
Me: What? What game is it?
OG: It's Warlords 2.
Me: ... that's literally the first game I guessed.
OG: Nuh-uh. You only said "Warlords".
Me: But you didn't think to look?
OG: ...
Me: *sighs*

At least he found it.

Stella Brando

Arcane

• Probably 96/97/98.

Powerslide?

That sounds like a precursor to Twisted Metal?
Vigilante 8?

JDR13

Arcane
There was a game once where, when you pressed a button, something awesome happened. I think it had dragons. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
An online conversation I had recently.

Old Gamer: Hey, do you remember that game that was kinda like Heroes of Might and Magic, except you were all by yourself?
Me: That's a little vague, could you be a little more specific?
Old Gamer: Yeah, it was top-down view, and you were on a horse, in a fantasy setting, and you could wander around the countryside and do quests and stuff. You went faster by using the roads, but you really had to go off the beaten path to find things.
Me (thinks): And when was this?
OG: *gives info that places it close to 1992*
Me: Is a lot like HoMM, but isn't HoMM? Sounds like it's either Warlords or Moonstone.
OG: No, it's not Moonstone.
Me: Could it be King's Bounty, the OG HoMM-game?
OG: Maybe. How can I see screenshots from the game?
Me: *gives info to a site that allows him to do that*

[Two Hours Later]

Me: So it's a pseudo-RPG with strategy elements that's part of a series, and when the game starts this face appears which talks to you.
OG: *still browsing box covers* Yup. I remember the face, but not what it said.
Me: We've been at this for two hours now, my battery's almost dead and I need to cook dinn-
OG: Wait. I think I found it.
Me: What? What game is it?
OG: It's Warlords 2.
Me: ... that's literally the first game I guessed.
OG: Nuh-uh. You only said "Warlords".
Me: But you didn't think to look?
OG: ...
Me: *sighs*

At least he found it.
Greetings, Warlord!

2147-warlords-ii-dos-screenshot-menu.gif

somerandomdude

Learned
I remember this old space game from the mid 90s, there was exploration and trading, and combat, and you could harvest resources from planets using bots, then come back and collect, etc. They even had an archeology bot that would harvest ancient artifacts.

Something I distinctly remember was trading with this alien guy, and he traded me really powerful missiles for a few chocolate bars, and would then trade me the chocolate bars back for considerably less, and I could repeat this until I kiked this alien out of his entire load of goods. And this was right near the start of the game too.

There were also these robot-spider alien things that were apparently the main force of evil. I tried to initiate dialogue with one, and they attacked me, but I was lucky I kiked those missiles from that alien dude, or I wouldn't have won.

Someone told me it was Star Control, but I'm fairly sure that's not it, because I looked into that game, and nothing looked familiar.

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
I remember this old space game from the mid 90s, there was exploration and trading, and combat, and you could harvest resources from planets using bots, then come back and collect, etc. They even had an archeology bot that would harvest ancient artifacts.

Something I distinctly remember was trading with this alien guy, and he traded me really powerful missiles for a few chocolate bars, and would then trade me the chocolate bars back for considerably less, and I could repeat this until I kiked this alien out of his entire load of goods. And this was right near the start of the game too.

There were also these robot-spider alien things that were apparently the main force of evil. I tried to initiate dialogue with one, and they attacked me, but I was lucky I kiked those missiles from that alien dude, or I wouldn't have won.

Someone told me it was Star Control, but I'm fairly sure that's not it, because I looked into that game, and nothing looked familiar.
Sounds partially like starflight, but would be genesis version if it was the 90's

JDR13

Arcane

Sounds partially like starflight, but would be genesis version if it was the 90's
I vaguely remember the Genesis version of Starflight, but I don't recall using bots to harvest resources.

DakaSha

Arcane

I vaguely remember the Genesis version of Starflight, but I don't recall using bots to harvest resources.
You land on planets and iirc can harvest things (its been ages). But regardless i dont think the description fully matches so either its not starflight, or hes mixing games up (which does happen when its been that long)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Reunion?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Sounds like Space Rangers, but that's a bit younger.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

The first and third paragraph sounds vaguely like Ironseed, but the second paragraph is complicates things. Have you tried going through a list of space strategy games? There were a few games around that time which took the general idea of Star Control 3 and tried different things with it. Something to note, its actually helpful if you tell us what you remember the GUI was like, or what kind of alien graphics it had. Full-screen portraits? Half-screen portraits? Were they pixel, 3D models or puppets?

Pound Meat

Prophet
A game with a cartoony cemetery just behind a mansion. It was out at the same time as Wolfenstein 3D and looked like Alone in the Dark. Was it Alone in the Dark?

That's all I've got.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Alone in the Dark 1 didn't feature any outdoor areas, except during the intro/outro.

Alone in the Dark 2 had a hedge maze surrounding the cliffside mansion, I can't recall a cemetery there.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
It was one of those shitty FMV games.
You would fly around some landscapes and locations in first person and will click on highlighted objects.
In the first level you are flying around african savannah.

It was a shit game but i still want to find it for nostalgia reasons.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
There was a game once where, when you pressed a button, something awesome happened. I think it had dragons. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I only know a game with dragons where no matter how many buttons you press nothing awesome happens.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A game with a cartoony cemetery just behind a mansion. It was out at the same time as Wolfenstein 3D and looked like Alone in the Dark. Was it Alone in the Dark?

That's all I've got.
It can't look like Alone in the Dark exactly. I say this because I'm aware of what came out around Wolf 3D in terms of titles like AitD. Obviously, Unkillable Cat went over the original titles...except AitD 3, which did have a graveyard behind a mansion, but since you fight some grave diggers there it probably isn't it. The Highlander AitD-clone on Jaguar...was on Jaguar, while Doctor Hauzer...was on 3DO and in Japanese. Ecstatica is the closest I can think of, but since there's no cemetery or mansion and the most obvious aspect of that is the werewolf, I doubt its that either. I assume you mean like the way the backgrounds looked rather than the 3d characters, so...The Dark Half...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom