Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you improve about Diablo 1?

Eisen

Learned
Here some ideas:
Hunger system
Active and passive skills
Open-world like Divine Divinity maybe? Despite i like the one-way dungeon

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Nothing, it’s an old game. There’s a modern game that has the same atmosphere and much better combat (and dungeons), go play Exanima.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Diablo 2 fixed most of D1's weaknesses.
But I would have liked to see something more advanced than D1, but without D2's MP focus and runewanks, and with D1's more persistent world.
It's too bad PlugY doesn't support pre LoD D2...

Eisen

Learned
I wonder, do you guys likes the tile-based limitation? Or prefer the movement like D2?

Eisen

Learned
Turn based would it make a shallow roguelike with cool grafix, i think someone made a mod from DevilutionX

Shadenuat

Arcane
It already has thing where inside random dungeons it puts handmade content/quests, sometimes different each playthrough, I would expand on that

Also i would expand on getting new skills from dungeons, you get spellbooks, fighters should get skillbooks as loot

Eisen

Learned
It already has thing where inside random dungeons it puts handmade content/quests, sometimes different each playthrough, I would expand on that
I know that the mod Belzebub restores cut quests, they are good :smug:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
-Maybe some more item slots like in D2?
-A stash?
-Some outdoor combat areas?
-Better skill trees?
-Some new classes?
-Griswold can upgrade weapons for you because he is a blacksmith.
-More magic stuff at the witch house?
-Hire a follower at the tavern?
-Unique sprites for each armor when worn by the player?

Peachcurl

Cipher
Turn based (with simultaneous moves) is okay for a Diablo-style game, at least as a variant. It works reasonably well with the grid movement.

But it's not really necessary to have in D1 itself.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Nothing except whenever you use a potion there should be an animation where your character takes out the bottle, uncorks it, smells it to make sure it isn't expired, takes a sip and swishes it around in his mouth to savour the flavour, drinks it in 3 - 8 long gulps, wipes his mouth with the back of his forearm, recorks the bottle and carefully places it in a pack to be refilled at a later time.

This animation will stop if anything touches your character and there will be a brief 25 second stun effect applied.

Eisen

Learned
Nothing except whenever you use a potion there should be an animation where your character takes out the bottle, uncorks it, smells it to make sure it isn't expired, takes a sip and swishes it around in his mouth to savour the flavour, drinks it in 3 - 8 long gulps, wipes his mouth with the back of his forearm, recorks the bottle and carefully places it in a pack to be refilled at a later time.

This animation will stop if anything touches your character and there will be a brief 25 second stun effect applied.
Dark Souls but worse :lol:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Here some ideas:
Hunger system
Active and passive skills
Open-world like Divine Divinity maybe? Despite i like the one-way dungeon
horrible suggestions

Diablo 1 stands on its own, I wouldn't change much. Most of the suggestions here would dramatically change the nature of the game, making it more like D2 or another game entirely.

As another said, I would appreciate seeing more quests added to the quest pool. Gillian's and Farnum's cut quests are particularly appealing, as they would add new tilesets.

The other things I would change is (a) excise all Hellfire maps, items, pre/suffixes and everything else associated with it and (b) fix item drops on the two harder difficulties to favor rare combinations of items and prefixes that actually can't be found on monsters, while only being briefly available from vendors.

One thing about Hellfire is the additional classes, including the hidden ones enabled by the .txt file - they can probably stay in, although they should get unique sprites.

-Better skill trees?
there are no skill trees in D1 my man, that's D2's bloated bullshit. Keep it away from D1.

Old Hans

Arcane
I would add over 90 hours of unskippaple cutscenes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom