Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What will evil be in Tranny anyway?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Oh god, dat evil chinese government.
They don't even speak english, can you believe it ?

sser

Arcane
Developer
There's no way they'll depict rape, brutal violence against children, tr00 racism (e.g. "fucking nigger!!", not "dwarfs are short!! i dont like them!!").
So what can they possibly put in a game to make a 21st century man feel like a bad-ass..?
How can this game deliver on the promise of evil won?

Faceless genocide and abstract soul destruction are my guesses.

Trashos

Arcane
Evilness being mishandled is my least worry. Obsidian isn't Bioware.

Yes, but they did fuck up Ceasar's Legion a little bit.

Also, Paradox is swedish. That's the most worrying part for me.

Neanderthal

Arcane
It's not mustache twirling evil at all - though there probably are some of those options in the game.

Have you read these real life stories about how the government in China decides it's going to build some sort of giant public works project, and so they just systematically MOVE a whole village or city? Villages or cities that have been there for decades, maybe even hundreds of years? That can easily be viewed as evil by the people being moved - but it's not "Tie the damsel to the railroad tracks" evil. It's the faceless bureaucratic evil, it's the death-panels deciding your illness costs too much to treat, it's the eminent domain taking away your home and livelihood. These are just examples - at least how I view it.

I guess it's just easier for marketing to say "Evil won", which I can understand - even if I think it's too simplified.

Reminds me on an old PC I ran in a Greyhawk campaign, warrior elite, last son of an ancient family who'd mostly all died when Iuz siezed most o Shield Lands his home nation. This were a realm famous for its Paladins and Knights, which he was one of, but in pursuing a peace wi Iuz his lands were given away, his familys sacrifices forgotten as he saw it, his ancestral homeland traded to the enemy, and his unstinting service not rewarded but betrayed. For the greater good sounded hollow to him, and so he became a bandit and wolfshead, that part of the war ended, saving lives and giving the Shield Lands a space to breathe and fortify but my lad couldn't forgive or forget.

Made for a pretty good conflicted character, an interestin situation an no real, clear answers. Eventually became a Blackguard, infamous and fighting a two sided war.

Neanderthal

Arcane
For all that I knock it I thought AD&D 2nd ed did an absolute evil pretty fucking well in shape o Blood War, I mean yeah in a way it had good sides in that it stopped Fiends from taking their war to rest o planes, but overall it just infected almost everything and tainted what were left. Course it took MCA an team to realise that in video game form, an now they've fucked it up entirely as Wizards o Coast always do, but nice while it were there.

An you could fit almost any view on evil into Blood War cos it were so fucking big, you could have Baatezu as infernal corporate stooges, you could have Tanari as jihadis or owt else. An that'd only be one side to a conflict that'd scoop up a few million mortal soldiers as routine recruitment, and had a recruiting pool of infinite prime worlds. It had unmatched an limitless potential, what a fuckin waste.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What will evil be in Tranny anyway?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ranny-writing-team-at-game-revolution.110373/

Matt Maclean; Lead Narrative Designer said:
A world wherein there’s one big evil dude on top really only works when it’s sold with great big lies that get the average person invested in the evil (or just dependent upon it), instead of willing to resist it. And for evil to win long term, it also needs to be immune to self-implosion (since we’ve all read enough fantasy literature to know that evil defectors are involved in 9 out of 10 evil regicides). So with that in mind, I’ve found most of my inspiration comes from non-fiction: fascism, American exceptionalism, drug cartels, capitalist corporations, and militaries through the ages have all provided a great deal of inspiration as to how evil wins.

It sounds as though their vision of a world where "good" triumphs would be more evil than their vision of a world where "evil" triumphs.

I'm also left wondering why the "average person" matters in an ostensibly Bronze Age setting, but that's a lesser issue.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
21st century man

that's code for 'tranny', right?

Anyway, what do we know about Kyros
and by we I mean myself, not having followed any updates closely
?

- not a fan of big government

- allows for unruly hordes in his armies

- condones spontaneous violence

- if you go by his Edicts, he seems prone to heavy mood swings

all in all, Kyros is easily relatable to emo chicks as well as moms.

Sorry, how did you conclude that men are part of the target audience?

From what I've seen there's no true evil here, just a garden variety pre-modern empire. That's pretty meh.

uaciaut

Augur
There's no way they'll depict rape, brutal violence against children, tr00 racism (e.g. "fucking nigger!!", not "dwarfs are short!! i dont like them!!").
So what can they possibly put in a game to make a 21st century man feel like a bad-ass..?

Your notion of evil is pretty childish and primitive if it resumes to that lol.

edit: Not saying Tyranny will pull it off.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Your notion of evil is pretty childish and primitive if it resumes to that lol.

edit: Not saying Tyranny will pull it off.
Children are the most evil creatures that exist.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Evilness being mishandled is my least worry. Obsidian isn't Bioware.

Yes, but they did fuck up Ceasar's Legion a little bit.

Also, Paradox is swedish. That's the most worrying part for me.

As if Paradox games do not feature voluntarily and deliberate blinding, castration, assassination, war, incest, rape, conquest, despotism, bureaucratic oppression, colonisation, exploitation of labour and sources.

This is your brain on memes, don't overdo them.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
stronk independent womyn will beat teh evul

The Evil Overlord in the game is a woman.
BtUyArw.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
Is this going to be like KOTOR 2 where Kriya spent thousands of words explaining to the PC to just pick neutral options during cutscenes?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Evil is, on one hand, a judgement and on the other - intention. Political ideologies (like fascism) and other ideologies (like exceptionalism) are not evil even in the most simplistic manner. The history of ideologies and worldviews is the history of truth, and judgements and intentions don't figure into that (well, they do, but not in the same way), so they can't be called good or evil. After the French Revolution, when nationalism became trendy, Germans declared themselves to be Welthistorischenation ("a nation that affects the world's history" is the closest translation) because they had the great artists and philosophers who changed the face of society. They were right, but it's also exceptionalism. Is it evil? No. Calling any relevant ideology (because most ideologies aren't even worth considering, like "let's murder all black people") "evil" is a fundamental misunderstanding of human thought.

For me, evil would be intentional withholding of knowledge and truth. Burning books, art, schools and academies/universities. Silencing teachers, scientists, philosophers and artists. Also needless cruelty and pointless loss of life. Even then I know that these things are malleable. What they (and Obsidian) can do is show us ourselves. Sometimes you would be surprised what stares back at you in the mirror.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Evil is, on one hand, a judgement and on the other - intention. Political ideologies (like fascism) and other ideologies (like exceptionalism) are not evil even in the most simplistic manner. The history of ideologies and worldviews is the history of truth, and judgements and intentions don't figure into that (well, they do, but not in the same way), so they can't be called good or evil. After the French Revolution, when nationalism became trendy, Germans declared themselves to be Welthistorischenation ("a nation that affects the world's history" is the closest translation) because they had the great artists and philosophers who changed the face of society. They were right, but it's also exceptionalism. Is it evil? No. Calling any relevant ideology (because most ideologies aren't even worth considering, like "let's murder all black people") "evil" is a fundamental misunderstanding of human thought.

For me, evil would be intentional withholding of knowledge and truth. Burning books, art, schools and academies/universities. Silencing teachers, scientists, philosophers and artists. Also needless cruelty and pointless loss of life. Even then I know that these things are malleable. What they (and Obsidian) can do is show us ourselves. Sometimes you would be surprised what stares back at you in the mirror.
IMO, evil is the de-individualiasation of the individual, reducing a person to a worker ant. Discouraging personal responsibility for one's actions and the collectivisation of responsibility, as in - someone fails a goal, punish the whole community or the whole team. Evil is also the war against meaning of words, executed through propaganda. When you deprive words of their meaning and when any statement can mean anything and anything goes in language, soon the principle anything goes will be applied to actions as well.

Both of these ultimately lead to inhibiting the expression of free will.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That seems like a pretty short view. How much concern for the individual has there been in the whole of human history prior to industrialization?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ninjerk is correct. Placing the individual on a pedestal is an idea of the Enlightenment. AwesomeButton, the unobstructed expression of free will IS the Enlightenment and has nothing to do with good or evil. No one act is evil in of itself (that's why I said that even the acts I define as evil are malleable, they speak more of myself and my biases than the concept of evil), because no act CAN be evil. We judge things as evil or we intend to do wrong even when we know it's wrong, and ONLY that can conceivably be evil. The de-humanization of people is a propaganda tool (propaganda also isn't evil), something that makes it easier for a group to see another group as lesser/inferior and it makes it easier for the first group to distrust, shun or even kill the second one. That is not evil, even the Western world is applying this now to ISIS for example, or even the immigrant crisis. This doesn't place any moral stance on either party.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
It would be classified as sadism. But just how pedophiles aren't "bad" without molesting children, it's the same with sadists. If the sadist purposefully places others in danger, without their consent, for no other reason than to satisfy those urges, then yes, I'd call it evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom