Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the fuck is so special about Monster Hunter?

Rainer

Novice
Enlighten me.

Rainer

Novice
I tried playing it, it's a bloody grindfest. how can people actually enjoy this?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it has hard bossfights, pretty compelx item system, and actually isn't all that grindy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nothing. It sucks. Everything in MH is a tedious chore. Boss fights are interesting at first, but after you beat them a few times and nail down their attack patterns then farming them becomes a grind too. It's one of those games that people love because of multi player, but honestly, anything can be fun with friends so that doesn't mean the game is actually good.

Castanova

Prophet
MH3 had the worst control scheme of all time, was grindy, and required you to sit through a 5 second animation (of gutting the dead enemy for craft components) after every kill.

The bossfights are decently challenging and there isn't much in the way of handholding... button mashing won't get you far and each weapon type plays very differently. The problem is the grindiness of it.

Honestly, make an actual game instead of a combat simulator with that control scheme, and it would be awesome. Actually, I'll just agree with whoever said "poor man's Gothic".

Mortmal

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
it has hard bossfights, pretty compelx item system, and actually isn't all that grindy.
yes and the constant need to upgrade your gear drive people. Its the the donkey and the carrot. Its pretty much the same in diablo 2.I only played the wii game and really enjoyed it, but i wont repeat it multiple time and grind to level 100 online.

MapMan

Arcane
The only MH I played was the one on psp. It was... weird, because I just didn't know how to play the game. I started the game, entered some area and roamed empty map until I found a monster that one hitted me. Yeah, great game indeed.

Apollion

Scholar
I don't get it, Monster Hunter is a great series, especially the PSP incarnations. Try out Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or MHP3, both are pretty fun. The games have the steepest learning curves I've ever seen, so that may be what's turning so many of you away (ahahaha butthurt elitists) but keep at it and it's pretty rewarding.

Here's some pros and cons

Pros
-Its hard
-There is an excellent sense of progression, especially considering it will probably take a good fifty hours of play to even reach the toughest creatures depending on which game you're talking about
-Atmosphere is pretty cool, has a sort of prehistoric stone age feel despite being a typical jrpg fantasy type setting
-The things you fight are actually well programed, they all have patterns and tells but it takes a while to learn them, and when you have things get much more entertaining
-Each weapon has a significantly different style, that adds probably up to nearly 90% of the games replayability, when you get bored, start working on a new weapon type
-There is no story to wade through to get to the fighting, unless you count the little dialogues with NPCs and quest description

Cons
-The fanbase is made up of autistic manboons so don't even try playing online
-Its super grindy (could be a pro depending on preference)
-Some people are unable to overcome the learning curve, I know people who still can't get past the prey type mini bosses, or hit a wall with the Yian Kut-Ku, which will be the bane of every newbie

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's extremely challenging and not all that grindy if you're taking things on when you can, instead of when it's easy. (Especially in multiplayer, in singleplayer you can get pretty screwed because you just can't attack while they're in rage mode, and they'll spend so long in rage mode there just isn't enough time to kill them.)

Of course, in multiplayer you'll also get fucked over by retards dying for no reason at all and ruining what should be an easy mission, or fucking up allies with friendly fire.

And a 5 second animation to gather parts after a 30 minute long fight? THE HORROR. If you want to bitch about wasted time at least pick a valid flaw, like having to chase some of the fuckers down all over the map.

If you're bitching about a grind fest, you're a pussy for not attempting one of the missions you haven't done yet. You'll easily gather enough mats doing new missions constantly to avoid having to do much grinding, unless you're being autistic about trying to get exactly the weapon you want before fighting anything.

Rainer

Novice
gentlemen, I've played F4AF for years, so learning curves like Monster Hunter's don't mean shite. my point is that you basically do the same thing over and over again without any change. what's the fun in that? why do the japs jizz themselves over this? I simply got bored after five minutes.

Apollion

Scholar
Rainer said:
gentlemen, I've played F4AF for years, so learning curves like Monster Hunter's don't mean shite. my point is that you basically do the same thing over and over again without any change. what's the fun in that? why do the japs jizz themselves over this? I simply got bored after five minutes.

I'm have no idea why I want to convince anyone, if you don't want to play it it's no skin off my back, but five minutes? Seriously?

I'm not usually one to defend a game if I can understand where the criticism is coming from, which in most games is obvious enough. With MH the flaws are obvious enough to keep away those who wouldn't be interested in it to begin with. The games entire platform is fighting and killing giant dragons and shit, from which you harvest materials to build better weapons and armor to fight tougher creatures. If you don't enjoy the combat enough to counteract the boredom of a game whose very premise is to grind you're way to the top, then yeah. For what it sets out to accomplish though, it does so perfectly.

If you want my personal opinion. I love the game because when I first played it i'd never player anything even remotely like it before, I found the premise unique and the gameplay entertaining. Games like it still don't exist beyond the subpar ripoffs that have been made over the years. The game is difficult, its addictive, and as I got better at it and faster at killing stuff the game became less of a grind and more of a slow progression.

Also, I don't know why the japs love it, I don't know why they do anything.

It's praised so much because it's better than Pokemon so the weaboo elitists praise it to high heaven and back to show up the other gaijin who like the lesser and simpler grindfest.

Damned Registrations

For those of you too pathetic to have ever fought past the fucking kut-ku, here's a short list of things different between EVERY FUCKING MONSTER IN THE GAME.

Cues that signal various attacks.
Timing of when to dodge the attack if you saw it coming and can't block (Your dodge invincibility is only a few frames, so there's no much room in some cases)
Cues that signal the monster is in rage mode
Weakpoints on the monster (These differ for each weapon, what is a weakpoint for a spear might make a sword bounce off)
Status/elemental vulnerabilities of the monster
Status/elemental attacks of the monster

Compare to say, Diablo 2. Monsters have elemental defenses that are blatantly obvious and mostly irrelevant, and the abilities of all but a few amount to "Cause player to drink a potion. Maybe." The strategy for most characters is the same in every fight in the game, from the fucking skeleton archer in the den of evil all the fucking way to bhaal. Spam your most damaging attack at everything in range, move out of range and heal if you become wounded. If you're going to blast the gameplay for being too simple and boring, give a comparison to something. I'd love to know what magical fucking (multiplayer) game you've been playing with combat worth a shit has come out in the last decade, because I've never heard of it.

Paperclip

Liturgist
It's actually not that grindy. Are you saying that you want to kill a boss just one time to get its full armor set?

MH probably has one of the best combat mechanics. But what lured me to this game is the setting/atmosphere.

Rainer

Novice
just to clarify, I was talking about five minutes of grinding, not five minutes of gameplay.

Damned Registrations

Grinding what? The only parts of MH that ever feel like grinding to me are the slay 20 foozle ones. Which are only that retarded because they're the online quests, and meant for 4 players to be hunting at once.

If you spent 5 minutes running around mining ore or something instead of doing the next mission and just mining whatever you happened to run past (at most), you're being a fucking pussy.

Damned Registrations

:facepalm:

Guys, Diablo 2 is horrible. I've killed Andariel Blood Raven 300 times now and I'm still not level 20 and don't have a full set yet, it's so boring. Such a fucking grindfest OMG. Why would anyone play this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom