Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What strikes you as the best "buried knowledge" type of dungeon?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Looking for more dungeons like this.

Maybe some dungeons (crypts) in Skyrim have this feeling.

Dorateen

Arcane
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the Samhain dungeon from Grimoire deserves recognition. Starting with the Cenotaph of the Black Lich, all the way down to the bowels of Samhain. The tragic tale of what happened to the miners there, and the underlying horror intertwined with the village of Crowl. The place is saturated with hidden lore, and exceptional treasure to be unearthed. This is one of the better designed dungeons I've encountered.

9ted6

Educated
It must be:
- underground
- it must be old
- formerly inhabited by an ancient or bygone civilisations
- contains exceptional knowledge (lore bits)
- contains exceptional treasure
View attachment 45852
Admit it, you had to use a walkthrough.
062.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the Samhain dungeon from Grimoire deserves recognition. Starting with the Cenotaph of the Black Lich, all the way down to the bowels of Samhain. The tragic tale of what happened to the miners there, and the underlying horror intertwined with the village of Crowl. The place is saturated with hidden lore, and exceptional treasure to be unearthed. This is one of the better designed dungeons I've encountered.

I always thought that Grimoire is a meme game, not actual crpgs...

Dorateen

Arcane

I always thought that Grimoire is a meme game, not actual crpgs...
No, it's an actual crpg.

Ladonna

Arcane
Dark Heart of Uukrul has a pretty awesome dungeon filled with old lore and mystery, along with the scraps of the lost expedition.

Ryzer

Arcane
Durlag's tower
Black mountain mines
Blackreach
The Glow
Grimoire dungeons in the first act have good lore.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Agreed. Would you single out any dungeons from Hearkenwold KotC 2 module? I remember I liked many of them, maybe the one with the Salamanders fits this criteria.

Dorateen

Arcane

Agreed. Would you single out any dungeons from Hearkenwold KotC 2 module? I remember I liked many of them, maybe the one with the Salamanders fits this criteria.
I was thinking the same dungeon, the one going deeper into the crypts and the salamander temple. Some areas are on the small size, but I built it with those criteria in mind. Forgotten lore, valuable treasure, monsters only rumored to exist in nightmares.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I was thinking the same dungeon, the one going deeper into the crypts and the salamander temple. Some areas are on the small size, but I built it with those criteria in mind. Forgotten lore, valuable treasure, monsters only rumored to exist in nightmares.

It's crazy because it's so deep. If I recall you go 2 or 3 cave levels down, then the "Underdark tavern" which acts as a gateway (that was pretty cool), then another cave level and the Salamander temple, then the temple level. You are a great creator imo.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
The Deep Stone Crypt in Destiny 2 is one of the better done versions of this trope. Buried miles underneath snow and ice, the aesthetic of the interiors is...unnervingly clean. But there are still active Golden Age security systems in place that can kill you in ways you can't even comprehend with your primitive technology, and there's an abandoned AI still running that decides it's best to nuke the entire planet rather than let you obtain the invaluable Golden Age information and tech within the facility.

DestinyExoscience7.jpg

It's a location that was teased as early as Destiny 1, so the narrative payoff of finally seeing where the mysterious Exo (One of the playable races, amnesiac dudes in robot bodies basically) were born is nothing short of immense. Not only do you learn their entire origin story and how it intertwines with the megalomaniacal scientist Clovis Bray, and his two still-living daughters, it also touches on some of the much darker themes in the setting, what with the utterly horrific experiments being run on unwilling humans, and Clovis's contact with the Darkness itself in his attempts to force mankind to transcend it's potential. Beyond Light was easily one of the best Destiny expansions in terms of story, they managed to move almost every active plot thread in the game forward with just one location.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's the highlight of the entire game, and had Cleve released it as a standalone campaign module it would still be better than the vast majority of RPGs.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There must be something like this in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Who is the expert for that game around here?

Shaki

Arbiter
Is luj1 a bot? Nigga spams 5 threads like this every day:

"Which RPG did the horses best?"

"Mobile games you played most while sitting on the toilet?"

"Why representation of Medieval cuisine in isometric RPGs is so unrealistic?"

"Does playing female characters make you gay?"

"Most lifelike sprites of BDSM equipment in a 2000-2010 2D games?"

All this shit looks like its AI generated, it reminds me of these clickbait Youtube videos that get spammed whenever new game comes out, "TOP 5 BEST WEAPONS IN STARFIELD?????" etc.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The bottom of the Dungeon of Death in World of Xeen and the Oracle and Tomb of VARN in MM6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom