Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Sid Said

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Article ]</strong>

<p>For the benefit of future generations of developers, Soren Johnson put down on virtual paper <a href="http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=119" target="_blank"><u>Sid's Rules</u></a>, some of Sid "Please stop Writing About Me Like I'm Dead" Meier's basic lessons on game design.</p><blockquote><p>If a unit seems too weak, don&rsquo;t lower its cost by 5%; instead, double its strength. If players feel overwhelmed by too many upgrades, try removing half of them. In the original Civilization, the gameplay kept slowing down to a painful crawl, which Sid solved by shrinking the map in half. The point is not that the new values are likely to be correct - the goal is to stake out more design territory with each successive iteration.
</p></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://flashofsteel.com/">Flash of Steel</a></p>

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
"If a unit seems too weak, don’t lower its cost by 5%; instead, double its strength."

Stopped reading after this.

Shuma

Scholar
Your loss, then.

He's talking about iterative game design, not fine-tuning game balance. But hey, may as well dismiss a topic you know nothing about and then brag about it on the internet!

sheek

Arbiter
Most game developers are familiar with Sid’s dictum that “a good game is a series of interesting choices.” In fact, my co-columnist Damion Schubert started his recent article on player choice (October 2008) by referencing this famous quote. However, over the course of his career, Sid has developed a few other general rules of game design, which I heard him discuss many times during my seven years (2000-2007) at his studio, Firaxis Games. As these insights are quite practical lessons for designers, they are also worthy of discussion.
Does Sid own Firaxis?

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Trash said:
Sid created some of the best games known to man. If he speaks, you little shits better shut the fuck up and pay attention.

When he opens his mouth, I put my cock right there.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
BethesdaLove said:
Trash said:
Sid created some of the best games known to man. If he speaks, you little shits better shut the fuck up and pay attention.

When he opens his mouth, I put my cock right there.

Like your daddy did when you opened yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom