Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial What Sawyer Likes

Monty

Arcane
When I saw Infinitron baiting the hook with a 'What Sawyer Likes' headline I gave it 3 pages before the thread became about Roguey.

I was wrong.

Alex

Arcane
I DMed B1: In Search of the Unknown this weekend. Somehow I doubt I would find anything Sawyer is going to make better than that.

Dorateen

Arcane
Starting out with the premise that RPGs are clichéd and D&D full of tropes is pretty tired. The hobby has been around for 40 years. Everything is a "trope" now according to these people. Elves and Dwarves are tropes, by such definition. They've already lost on that front and many others.

As for hating the genre, again, people who have been playing PnP from the late seventies/early eighties show a healthy respect the RPG hobby and don't throw around buzzwords like tropes, cliché, generic!

Three words:
Neverwinter Nights 2

A lot of folks seem to regard Mask of the Betrayer highly, and I happen to think Storm of Zehir was a huge step in the right direction back to what cRPGs used to be, compared to what was available in 2008. Those campaigns are part of NWN2.

Of course, you're talking about the NWN2 OC, which is far from the greatest representation of a Dungeons & Dragons cRPG. Most of all, the OC is always going to be a showcase for the toolset, which is the flaw of comparing the Neverwinter Nights series with the rest of (A)D&D's illustrious gaming history. Those elements that were overly trite are reflections of poorly developed forced companions and romances, something demanded by the biodrone fanbase that Obsidian unfortunately inherited. The value of NWN2 is realized in the user-made modules, especially those that are faithful to the spirit of Dungeons & Dragons. Take for example something like Wyrin's White Plume Mountain or Indira Lightfoot's Trial and Terror, and the original point I made still stands.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This video was cool. It is nice to hear what designers like about RPGs.

It would be neato to hear other developers answer the same question.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anyone stopped to think if Roguey is Sawyer? Some of the stuff in this video can be quoted verbatim from Roguey's post history.
[/quote][/quote]

The real Roguey was killed years ago off the coast of Bora Bora by Russian organized crime syndicates who were frustrated with her work to delay the advancement of European RPG development. Since then prominent members of the Codex have taken turns running her account. "Roguey" these days is less a person and more of an institution that preserves the old American guard against the rise of companies like CDProjeckt and Larian, balancing the equation created by the excess of European members.

You may be wondering why I confided one of the five great secrets that keep the Codex running. Well, its kinda like the gnome thing in Arcanum. I have to drip feed you the truth in small parcels and frequencies so that we can control the flow of information and keep people from challenging the reality the moderators present them with. Once you leave, my post will be gone, and if you go the shout box to proclaim the truth all of your texts will disappear and you'll be left spiraling into madness.

Hormalakh

Magister
The real Roguey was killed years ago off the coast of Bora Bora by Russian organized crime syndicates who were frustrated with her work to delay the advancement of European RPG development. Since then prominent members of the Codex have taken turns running her account. "Roguey" these days is less a person and more of an institution that preserves the old American guard against the rise of companies like CDProjeckt and Larian, balancing the equation created by the excess of European members.

You may be wondering why I confided one of the five great secrets that keep the Codex running. Well, its kinda like the gnome thing in Arcanum. I have to drip feed you the truth in small parcels and frequencies so that we can control the flow of information and keep people from challenging the reality the moderators present them with. Once you leave, my post will be gone, and if you go the shout box to proclaim the truth all of your texts will disappear and you'll be left spiraling into madness.

Roguey hates Arcanum. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom