Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
I really should contribute to some of the discussions on this website for ROLEPLAYING games instead of just calling everything shit all the time. I played PS:T months ago and really loved it. Not really interested in blobbers unless they are 'must plays'. I was thinking NWN next. I tried playing KotOR 1 but AMD released driver updates around a year ago that broke the game and the only solution so far is "roll back" which I'm not going to do as that would sabotage every other game I play. Bonus points if you don't need to grind to beat the game. (I would rather use cheat codes than grind.) No cringe shit like trannyfinder cringemaker or w/e the fuck shitical role troids enjoy these days.

Merge this post if it's shit, mods. Chop chop, clean it up!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I really should contribute to some of the discussions on this website for ROLEPLAYING games instead of just calling everything shit all the time. I played PS:T months ago and really loved it. Not really interested in blobbers unless they are 'must plays'. I was thinking NWN next. I tried playing KotOR 1 but AMD released driver updates around a year ago that broke the game and the only solution so far is "roll back" which I'm not going to do as that would sabotage every other game I play. Bonus points if you don't need to grind to beat the game. (I would rather use cheat codes than grind.) No cringe shit like trannyfinder cringemaker or w/e the fuck shitical role troids enjoy these days.

NWN1 original campaign is absolute shit - don't bother. (Even the developers that made it - openly admit this)
Either skip to SOU / HOTU or skip to NWN2.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
What's with the tags on this thread? Weirdo.

In any case, I'd say play Temple of Elemental Evil with Temple+ installed.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

What RPG should I play next?​

Which era?

Gold box - Wizardry 6, Dark Sun, Wasteland 1
Rennaisance era - pretty much anything
Dark era - nothing
Kickstarter era - Grimoire, Underrail, Escape from the Pit

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

NWN1 original campaign is absolute shit - don't bother. (Even the developers that made it - openly admit this)

There are countless world-class modules for NWN. Such as Swordflight, Aileund Saga, Prophet. They are better than most new games.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

i need to remind u your legally not allowed to post here until u beat kotor 7 times

ind33d

Learned
If you enjoyed PS:T, you should unironically play Numenera. The last third of the game is garbage, but Dark Souls had the same problem, and nobody gave a fuck about that

Maybe you should trust codex sophisticated tastes and try some of the top 2022 rpgs as for example 5th official bestThe Impregnation of Elves: Conquest of the arrogant fairies. I don't think you need to grind too much to win there and the game includes interesting setting and mechanics to ROLEPLAY until it hurts.

Radiane

Cipher
Or, if you liked PST you could try the spiritual (?) successor, Tides of Numenera. That game also has the advantage of having turn-based combat instead of RTwP

Edit: ah, just noticed another member with good taste already suggested it, good

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
get a pen and some graph paper or your favorite mapping software and breakout the classic Dungeon Master

if blobbers aren't your jam, then play divinity original sin 3. people seem to like it. it's alright.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
From personal experience, I'd say Underrail, but I've heard people speak wonders about Ultima IV. It will be my RPG to play after Kingmaker.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I really should contribute to some of the discussions on this website for ROLEPLAYING games instead of just calling everything shit all the time.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, followed by its sequel Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager.

ggeKe6t.png
rPfVcfD.png

NWN OC - A couple memorable sidequests (interesting C&C driven moral dilemmas), high stakes campaign that feels it, but mountains of boring filler content.
SoU - No memorable sidequests (zero interesting C&C driven moral dilemmas), low stakes campaign that feels it, but the quest design (variety of objectives and phases) is better than the OC.
HotU - One big interesting quest, high stakes campaign that only feels it in the latter two thirds, forgettable mega-dungeon first third, but the quest design is on par with SoU.

HotU > NWN OC > SoU.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If you liked Planescape Torment then I would suggest Age of Decadence or Disco Elysium.
Disco - maybe, i don't know, haven't played it.
AoD because someone played P:T is a bit weird to me. I liked the former. I think AoD has decent gameplay but story-wise it is... well, there is a story, that's all i can say. I don't even remember it much despite playing it 15 years later than P:T. Planescape is almost the exact opposite, story and interesting setting are what this game is about.

Suggestion for a (old) storyfag game with decent CRPG gameplay at the same time. The game systems are simple but exploration is very good.
Betrayal at Krondor.

Last edited:
If you enjoyed PS:T, you should unironically play Numenera. The last third of the game is garbage, but Dark Souls had the same problem, and nobody gave a fuck about that
You should try Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer before that.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

NWN1 original campaign is sorta boring, but not shit. There is a difference. It's ok. I played it twice and lived. I'd encourage playing NWN1 original campaign as well as expansions such as Shadows of Undrenrtide and Hordes of Underdark - its actually a fun engine.

But if I was going to encourage you, I'd say play Wizardry 7. It's a life changer, and then play Wizardry 8. Also, if you haven't played Ultima 7, do it.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
If you liked Planescape Torment then I would suggest Age of Decadence or Disco Elysium.
Disco - maybe, i don't know, haven't played it.
AoD because someone played P:T is a bit weird to me. I liked the former. I think AoD has decent gameplay but story-wise it is... well, there is a story, that's all i can say. I don't even remember it much despite playing it 15 years later than P:T. Planescape is almost the exact opposite, story and interesting setting are what this game is about.

Suggestion for a (old) storyfag game with decent CRPG gameplay at the same time. The game systems are simple but exploration is very good.
Betrayal at Krondor.
Mmm...well Planescape is a wall of text as are AoD and Disco Elysium. I surmise if you have raw stamina and reading skills to go through one then you want some more pain with those other two. And yes, I too like the pain.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

NWN1 original campaign is sorta boring, but not shit.

Come on..

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I still don't know if Aribeth's voice actress is trolling or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom