Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What non-RPG franchise would make for a good RPG?

zenbitz

Scholar
Operation Nailpuller:
Save Jesus from the Romans

ElectricOtter

Andyman Messiah said:
Doom. It already has stats and the killing of many many enemies. Just add party members and an influence system and then go out and save the world from great evil. I know, I know, why didn't you think about it first? Well, 'cause you're a fucking moron, that's why.

I second Blade Runner. An awesome movie became an awesome adventure game and it definitely have more roleplaying in it than most RPGs out there.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Doom+rpg

bhlaab

Erudite
STALKER would make a pretty cool RTwP rpg.

Pretty much the same gameplay systems except instead of an FPS it's isometric and has a sort of CoH infantry style battle system that's all about cover

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In after necro.

Something set in the X-men universe would be cool. Bonus points if you have no mutant powers and instead customize your human into a badass normal that defeats mutants to progress the story.

jazzotron

Liturgist
I agree with those who have suggested American Wild West style.

I would like to tender the Wheel of Time. At the very least, its "weaves" system (WoT magic) could make for some interesting gameplay.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Ringworld. Ringworld.

The possibilities are literally endless... Pierson's Puppeteers, Kzinti... The motherfucking Pak.

Imagine being able to transform into a Protector near endgame. (Provided you were playing a race capable of the transformation.)

The Puppeteers have technology so advanced as to be indistinguishable from... well, you know the rest. Again, endless, endless possibilities.

The Ringworld itself would be the greatest sandbox conceivable. Three million times the surface area of Earth. 3000000 worlds.

The Slavers... finding a Slaver stasis box.

Meeting Outsiders...

Grog. Trinocs. Kdatlyno. I want to hunt Bandersnatchi.

zenbitz

Scholar
There is an old Ringworld PnP game.

As for wild west - I would base it on "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" - during the American Civil War.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just thought of a better one: Something with giant mechs. Mechwarrior or Armored Core or something. Would be extremely combat heavy of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom