Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What makes a RPG highly replayable for you?

Ebonsword

Arcane
While perusing some old threads here at the Codex, I came across some discussions about RPGs and their replayability. Some games were criticized, for example, because they had multiple dialogue options which led to the same resolution.

So, what exactly makes a RPG replayable for you?

For me, I find that I replay different games for different reasons.

Some RPGs I replay just because there are so many different character builds to try. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a prime example of this kind of game--I must have played it through in its entirety four or five times plus another half-dozen partial play throughs so I could play as a thief, warlock/assassin, heavy weapons fighter, light weapons fighter, mage, cleric, etc. The storyline and choices I made weren't that different on each playthrough, but the mechanics of the different characters I built were unique enough to keep me interested.

Other RPGs I replay because of the different paths available in the game. Knights of the Old Republic is an example of this type of game for me. I might play the exact same class of character through this type of game, but just make different choices along the way to see what happens.

Another quality of an RPG that gives it replayability for me is what I would call the "fun factor". Some games I just enjoyed playing so much that I immediately started a new game after beating it the first time. A good example of this type of game is, er...Final Fantasy VII actually. (I know, I fail at the Codex.) Maybe it's because it was one of the first JPRGs I ever played, but I was so enthralled by the experience of it that I wanted to play through it again, even though there weren't really that many things to differently (except the companions you used, I suppose).

The type of RPG that I find most replayable, of course, is the type that combines all of the above. For me, Baldur's Gate 2 is an example. It has tons of different character builds to try, lots of different dialogue options, multiple orders in which to perform its quests, and an enjoyable "experience" to relive.

Destroid

Arcane
Fallout 1+2 are the only rpgs I have replayed (and done so multiple times for both, maybe 10-12 plays combined, although often not all the way through just to try out new builds), as they combine all of the above factors you mentioned. Generally I don't even finish most games (multiplayer junkie).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A rich gameworld that is fun to explore and has many hidden places so exploration is still fun even when you've played the game 5 times already. Choices and consequences, so that the story and gameplay experience is different when you play the game a second time. Interesting character builds that play differently from each other, so you can have fun experimenting with a new char build.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
Without great combat, no replays. Also long non-skippable story sequences kill replay value for me. ToEE is a good example of what seems like a flaw on the first playthrough, becomes a blessing in the following rounds.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I don't really think RPGs are very replayable.

A large part of what appeals to me about RPGs is plot and exploration, so I just like to find most of the goodies the first time, and get the most out of the first experience and move on. Once I've seen the plot and all the major areas, and solved all the puzzles and beat all the boss fights, I see no reason to play again unless I somehow forget all that.

An exception would be for games like JA2 which are driven less by plot and more by gameplay. But I count JA2 as a strategy game with RPG elements and not a strategy rpg. Reasonable people can disagree on that. A really deep strategy game has a lot of replayability built in because the gameplay is what I'm there for, not the plot. And it's not about a few boss fights with set strategies, but a lot of challenging battles generated on the fly by the game.

Of course it helps when someone manages to get the source out to mod makers too.

TOEE would be replayable for similar reasons... if I could stand to play through it the first time. But it's just a great combat engine wasted on a bunch of boring, poorly designed encounters.

Heresiarch

Prophet
It depends.

I like replaying plot-heavy RPGs like Planescape as for a bad reader like me, there's always something new to discover every new walkthrough. There's simply so much to read that I've often missed some details. And replaying the game often gave me realizations and insights in some special events that I didn't understand before.

I also like replaying TES. The beginning part of Daggerfall and Morrowind is very good, when you explore a huge and detailed world as a newcomer, and trying to survive and reach for higher guild ranks. Too bad after the middle part the challenge vanishes completely, and I tend to stop there.

I hate replaying Diablo-likes though. Hack & Slash & Looting just seems like a waste of time to me.

Norfleet

The replayability of a game comes from the many varied things to kill, places to kill them in, and ways to kill them. Plot is nice as a tool for giving you reasons to kill things, but you really only experience that once, maybe twice. How branching can those paths really be? Plot basically adds nothing to replay value: Strategy games have lots of replay value but are basically utterly devoid of plot. Why are strategy games so replayable? Because there are so many different things to kill, places to kill things in, and ways to kill them. "See the world, meet new and interesting people from distant and exotic cultures, and then kill them.". It's the entire premise of Civilization, for instance.

mondblut

Arcane
I could care less about different character builds and multiple paths (as in "you'll miss some content whatever you do", not as in "you can use different means to bypass this obstacle"). In fact, I try to enable all paths and features of all builds in a single playthrough whenever possible (using multiclass characters, cheat consoles, hex editing, whatever). I don't want to be forced to replay the same kind of crap to see some exclusive spell or a pair of sidequests, I want it all at my fingertips at once, thankee very much.

Fun factor is the only thing that motivates me to replay a game. Putting it simply - if I enjoyed a game, someday later I may wish to play it again. But rest assured, I'd play it exactly the same way I played it the first time :)

elander_

Arbiter
Short answer is being a crpg. These games are all about replayability.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
I do not have time to replay a game. I am lucky to have time to finish a game the first time. Then, I go on to another game, and never revisit the first.

Zomg

Arbiter
I enjoy navigating the same general game landscape with a different character. Ideally it's like re-reading a favorite book if you could hit a button on the spine to change the protagonist(s) (and events in the book contingent on them).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure, probably the same reason I've been able to tolerate playing WoW for 4 years.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cloaked Figure said:
dude, you should quit, its really the greatest feeling ever.

I can't, I already pre-ordered Wrath of the Lich King.

Radisshu

Prophet
What a replayable game SHOULDN'T have:

A very long, linear, opening chapter
Forced companions
Overall linear gameplay
Linear optional quests, few optional quests
Too many dungeon crawls on the critical path,
especially if they are LINEAR (do you see a pattern?)
^
NWN2

What a replayable game SHOULD have:

A short, or varied (depending on class/race/skills/background/whatever) opening chapter, if any
A few more companions than the max party limit, that banter with eachother and have various unique quests, so you won't just experience all the NPC bullshit in one playthrough
Lots of quests, quests that you can solve in multiple ways (that affect the world around you, as well)
Multiple endings
Quests/plots that will only be available to certain characters, so that you won't experience everything the game as to offer in one playthrough

DraQ

Arcane
mondblut said:
I could care less about different character builds and multiple paths (as in "you'll miss some content whatever you do", not as in "you can use different means to bypass this obstacle"). In fact, I try to enable all paths and features of all builds in a single playthrough whenever possible (using multiclass characters, cheat consoles, hex editing, whatever). I don't want to be forced to replay the same kind of crap to see some exclusive spell or a pair of sidequests, I want it all at my fingertips at once, thankee very much.
BLOOD!
RAR!

o=={=====(X_x)====> __ _ _

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
DraQ said:
o=={=====(X_x)====> __ _ _

Now in a thread next door it says that x is a closed door. Than an X is a big closed door and > are stairs up... But I dont get the others...

Mareus

Magister
Ebonsword said:
While perusing some old threads here at the Codex, I came across some discussions about RPGs and their replayability. Some games were criticized, for example, because they had multiple dialogue options which led to the same resolution.

So, what exactly makes a RPG replayable for you?

For me, I find that I replay different games for different reasons.

Some RPGs I replay just because there are so many different character builds to try. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a prime example of this kind of game--I must have played it through in its entirety four or five times plus another half-dozen partial play throughs so I could play as a thief, warlock/assassin, heavy weapons fighter, light weapons fighter, mage, cleric, etc. The storyline and choices I made weren't that different on each playthrough, but the mechanics of the different characters I built were unique enough to keep me interested.

Other RPGs I replay because of the different paths available in the game. Knights of the Old Republic is an example of this type of game for me. I might play the exact same class of character through this type of game, but just make different choices along the way to see what happens.

Another quality of an RPG that gives it replayability for me is what I would call the "fun factor". Some games I just enjoyed playing so much that I immediately started a new game after beating it the first time. A good example of this type of game is, er...Final Fantasy VII actually. (I know, I fail at the Codex.) Maybe it's because it was one of the first JPRGs I ever played, but I was so enthralled by the experience of it that I wanted to play through it again, even though there weren't really that many things to differently (except the companions you used, I suppose).

The type of RPG that I find most replayable, of course, is the type that combines all of the above. For me, Baldur's Gate 2 is an example. It has tons of different character builds to try, lots of different dialogue options, multiple orders in which to perform its quests, and an enjoyable "experience" to relive.
I couldn't write it better. Same games, same taste, same reasoning :D

Pastel

Scholar
The only think keeping me from replaying MotB are the boring, shitty areas like Ashenwood, the dungeon under the Hag City, and the Academy.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Equals signs are generally walls, an o is a monster of some sort (possibly an Otyugh?), while brackets are often stuff you can pick up.

Anyway, the answer is, lots of quests and lots of ways to complete them. Classic C&C.
Also, random dungeons and well designed mechanics are also a plus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom