Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of a gameworld would you like to see?

I'd love for an RPG based in a US based Tokyo-like city in the present day and age. A large city where large portions of communities being controlled by different gangs/mafias and corrupt politicians with nothing but moral gray areas. Also being split into the "old city" and the much more modern, high tech sections as well would give a very distinct atmosphere for the different NPCs. Being set in a city with a large amount of NPCs, the focus would be heavily placed on dialog and actions outside of combat as taking on large gangs would be suicide. It'd also allow for the PC to try to frame a gang member's murder on other gangs to force gang wars to serve their purpose, whatever that may be. The options are limitless.

Haba said:
Alternative reality, where there is no violence or crime. People are well behaved and always try to do the good thing.

The player character is transported from our "reality" into this alternative reality.

And then you get to fuck it up.

I like this.

Another idea: Game set in the days of lead in Italy (The Red Brigades, 1970s-1980s) wherein you have to infiltrate a left or right wing terrorist organization as they attempt to strike at the government or businesses. Game would involve you being a spy and trying to thwart or support the covert activities of the group you infiltrated. Game would be linear with open world spots (such as a villa hideout or city hideout, sections of the city where populist rhetoric is being thrown out, maybe certain conquered areas of Africa to negotiate weapons trade).

Phelot

Arcane
I'd like to see a old western RPG. Classes would be things like Cowboy, Bandit, Sheriff, Cattle Rustler, Warrior, etc etc...

If you wanted to cause a PC shitstorm then you could have different races like Gringo, Mehican, Negroid, Red Skin...

Skills would be things like revolvers, rifles, throwing weapons (tomahawks, kives, spears), bow n arrow, explosives, various social skills. Gambling would be a big skill and I'd want to be able to play real games like black jack or poker in game as mini games.

Various activities could be robbing trains, caravan gaurding a la Fallout, bounty hunting, raiding, bank robbery/gaurding...

I wouldn't want it ruined with stupid shit like aliens or zombies or anything, just plain ol' humans to kill. Give it a killer Good/Bad/Ugly style score and you're ready to rock!

Pliskin

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Zombie apocalypse in modern day, but not "post" apocalypse. The game would begin with the zombie outbreak just starting here and there, and you get to live through everything going wrong, the world going to hell, which would have turned "post"-apoc by the time you finished the game, and less or more post-apoc for you, depending on how you played and where you ended up.

World War Z

Count on a video-game-of-the-film.

Personally, I don't really have a preference for RPG settings --- just so long as it's not the standard Tolkienesque-fantasy rip-off. I am soooooo tired of that Elf / Dwarf shit.

Redeye

Arcane
Pliskin said:
I am soooooo tired of that Elf / Dwarf shit.

Maybe if it was Insect/Mammal with an aquatic sidebar.

maybe

of course if an alternative to elf/dwarf were ever produced, it would probably be some furry shit

If it was a ghost protagonist wandering around trying to influence people.
maybe

ever

Scholar
Similarly I would like to see Ancient Carthage ala Flaubert's Salammbo

Which has been done, just very poorly.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I may have posted this idea in another thread, I'm not sure. But I'd like to see a Sliders RPG. Not based specifically on the show, but the same premise - the protagonist has a device that has them periodically jumping from one dimension to another, each with small and large differences to the real world, and the ultimate objective of find a way home.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
A JA2 mod based on Die Hard. You control terrorists trying to manage a hostage situation, kill Bruce Willis before he manages to contact the outside world to buy yourself more time, then you have a time limit to get the money in the safe before the cops and FBI overwhelm you. If Bruce Willis contacts anybody, the time limit decreases.

Haba said:
Alternative reality, where there is no violence or crime. People are well behaved and always try to do the good thing.

The player character is transported from our "reality" into this alternative reality.

And then you get to fuck it up.

Actually that's sort of why I prefer Brave New World to 1984 as far as mindcontrolling-dictatorship settings go. In BNW there actually is utopia. 1984 has some great aspects, including the depressing finish, but the setting itself is dull - there really isn't any moral ambiguity at all, Big Brother = bad, freethinking = good.

In BNW however, they have eliminated crime, eliminated bad reliationships, eliminated stress, no disease, no poverty, and absolutely no unhappiness. What's more, it isn't done by making people into unfeeling zombies - instead EVERYONE is GENUINELY happy, they all have great sex with no emotional fuckups coming from it, they are all genuinely satisfied with their jobs, they all feel like they are the luckiest person in the world and they all love their society and those around them. Except the whole think is done by mind-programming, so they have no ability to be unhappy, no ability to question the system that makes some people artificially smart and others artificially stupid so they are satisfied doing the manual jobs. Perfect happiness vs freedom - now THAT is an interesting 'moral ambiguity' setting.

SPOILERS ABOUT THE BOOK.
The ending of the book typifies it. The 'heros' - one guy who was accidentally manufactured marginally too smart, another accidentally manufactured marginally too stupid, and an escapee from the 'zoo' where they keep old-style humans (us) in an feux-natural habitat for historical preservation - get caught and are brought before the head-dictator. Instead of 1984-style-torture, they find a guy who is actually nice and has good intentions, and who genuinely believes that the greater good is to remove free thought in order to grant happiness. He can't let them stay and fuck things up, but he doesn't want to be cruel, so he offers them life on a tropical island, with all their desires attended to for the rest of their lives. The heroes instead demand to be placed somewhere desolate up in the arctic - their final statement of freedom over happiness.

Obviously you wouldn't want a game to rip off that exact ending. But it shows how rich a setting like that would be for C+C. Do you unbrainwash the working class, only for them to realise that the lives they thought were awesome are actually shitty and exploited? What if some people don't WANT freedom? Do you use violence to free people, bringing war into a completely peaceful society? If a party member or NPC has his family die in some horrible way, do you brainwash him into returning to his old life of perfect happiness?

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Mad-Max: Something along those lines. Nothing implausible or too future-tech about it though. I'd prefer that the tech level be pretty much like it was in the movie.

Kung-fu setting: I guess Jade Empires sort of did this. But I want a pure RPG with 100 fighting styles. Perhaps even with user creatable styles.

Cyberpunk: Shadowrun sans magic. Leave all of the corporations, hacking, samurai and such in place. But please no future-elves or shamans. That always seemed out of place.

Warhammer FRP: RPG version. Turn-based purity. Not a strategy game like they keep putting out.

Vigilante RPG: You get to wander about wasting hoods and taking down crime bosses. Lots of weaponry. There'd have to be some sort of research component where you determine your next target(s).

However these are done, it would be perfect if the engine was similar in flavor to Space Rangers II. I like how everything can be played out in a sort of simultaenous turn-based battle with automatic pausing between each round. Not real-time with pause but more of a turn-based with simulaneous action.

Durwyn

Prophet
Psycroptic said:
Cyberpunk: Shadowrun sans magic. Leave all of the corporations, hacking, samurai and such in place. But please no future-elves or shamans. That always seemed out of place.

Warhammer FRP: RPG version. Turn-based purity. Not a strategy game like they keep putting out.

Yes please ! Especialy the second one.

Talby said:
Post-apocalypse (sort of) aboard a space ship, in the style of the short story Universe. Whole generations of people live and and die aboard a massive starship, believing it to be the entire world. That is, until someone finds a window.

That sounds something like Druuna : Morbus Gravis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druuna
Or at least I recall Druuna finding out at some point that their entire world is a spaceship. It could make a pretty twisted RPG for sure.

Relayer71

Liturgist
I want a CRPG based on the Spanish conquest of the New World.

Or a Wild West themed RPG.
How about THe Good, The Bad And The Ugly: The RPG.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Talby said:
Post-apocalypse (sort of) aboard a space ship, in the style of the short story Universe. Whole generations of people live and and die aboard a massive starship, believing it to be the entire world. That is, until someone finds a window.

That sounds something like Druuna : Morbus Gravis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druuna
Or at least I recall Druuna finding out at some point that their entire world is a spaceship. It could make a pretty twisted RPG for sure.
To read a similar plot with less "erotica" try Orphans of the Sky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yep, Orphans of the Sky is the one I'm talking about. "Universe" is the first part of two. It's a pretty good read, I'd recommend digging up a copy if you're into classic sci-fi.

It wouldn't need to be based off that setting specifically, just something along those lines.

Radisshu

Prophet
cyberpunk post-apocalyptic setting with manufactured people, cyborgs, androids and various kinds of mutants. warring factions. aesthetically inspired by BLAME! and other tsutomu nihei works, but in a wasteland rather than a megastructure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom