Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of a gameworld would you like to see?

Andhaira

Arcane
Is there any specific type of gameworld you would like to see in an rpg that hasn't been done yet? For example, arcanum had a pretty unique world (though they did kind of fuck it up by keeping elves adn dwarves) as did fallout. Even icewindale was unique in that it hhad everything covered with snow.

For myself, I would like a world simmilar to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay's, where black powder weapons exist alongside dark, dangerous magic. Though I would want the world slightly more advanced, with stuff like gas powered lamps, air baloons, and assorted unique weaponry you would come up against.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Gangster/Mafia//Noir/'20s or something like that.
Or maybe cowboys.

And a TMNT (the 80s version, not this new crap) cRPG would probably kick ass. It could work well as a party based system.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hmmm how about a game where you are a Male, trapped within an all male prisoner colony... oh wait. They already made my dream game. :oops:

PlanHex said:
Gangster/Mafia//Noir/'20s or something like that.
Or maybe cowboys.

And a TMNT (the 80s version, not this new crap) cRPG would probably kick ass. It could work well as a party based system.

I recall the TMNT arcade game - spent many many 20c coins on that thing multiplayer at the arcades. Having said that, for some reason I seem to recall that parts of it were taken from another beat-em-up and reskinned. Maybe it was just a common engine. In any event, it had nothing on double-dragon which came out many years earlier:)

As for 80s cartoons, I don't think the original Transformers series has ever seen a computer game version - again emphasing the 80s, not the new movie or the beast-wars crap. In any argument about 80s film vs new film, 5 points always win out:
- Bumblebee, the most annoying fucking character in the original series gets killed off in the first 5 minutes:)
- Optimus Prime vs Megatron battle > all
- in the first big fight, the Dinobots being air-dropped onto the Constructacons as a suicide-bombing tactic that is the end of both the dinos and the constructacons - FUCK YEAH!
- Orson Welles' final acting role - DOUBLE FUCK YEAH!!!
- Soundwave (he just wouldn't work as an ipod:))

Otherwise, what would I like to see? A 'Brave New World' type scenario, where humanity have traded their freedom (including ability to think freely) for luxury and safety. The limitations on the ability to free-think could be used to hide the narrative's boundaries, making a linear 1st half make sense, and then opening up more and more as the PC becomes increasingly self-aware. I wouldn't want it to be a player-frees-the-world scenario, but rather an adventure in that setting, perhaps a serial killer mystery or something. It wouldn't lend itself to a combat heavy, trash-mob-slaying type of game, but that's fine with me. Ever since playing the Longest Journey and Dreamfall, I've longed for an RPG that works like actiony/suspensey movies do - i.e. where the protagonist doesn't spend 50% of his/her time fighting nameless nobodies. Have it work like an adventure game with plenty of non-combat skills (hacking, lockpicks, stealth, seduction, charm, etc) and then only have combat where it is genuinely interesting and important to the plot. Luke Skywalker killing 5 stormtroopers and then fighting Vader is fun - killing 200 stormtroopers in identical fashion isn't. Just make the xp quest-based like Bloodlines. Actually the 1st half of Bloodlines did that kind of gaming quite well - i.e. fighting the asian vampire, the drug-dealers, the goons while planting the bomb etc - none of them felt like trash mobs.

Luzur

Good Sir
As for 80s cartoons, I don't think the original Transformers series has ever seen a computer game version - again emphasing the 80s, not the new movie or the beast-wars crap. In any argument about 80s film vs new film, 5 points always win out:
- Bumblebee, the most annoying fucking character in the original series gets killed off in the first 5 minutes:)
- Optimus Prime vs Megatron battle > all
- in the first big fight, the Dinobots being air-dropped onto the Constructacons as a suicide-bombing tactic that is the end of both the dinos and the constructacons - FUCK YEAH!
- Orson Welles' final acting role - DOUBLE FUCK YEAH!!!

actually, there was a Transformers game for C64...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AktyDQAwtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5TZGFu0XE

Durwyn

Prophet
Good RPG (NOT H&S OR ARPG) in mythological setting. Greek, Nordic, Egiptian or Celtic. Without slaying thousands of poor mythological beasts.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'd gladly welcome something like the PnP system Deadlands. Supernatural steampunk wild west FTW.

Durwyn

Prophet
On second thought: Shadowrun Cyberpunk fantasy mix. Yeah I know there already is a shadowrun RPG for some ancient console.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Noir. A truly dark and gritty setting with cynical characters and heavy atmosphere where you feel like a small man and never save any world. I love that stuff (Blade Runner, Discworld Noir*, Max Payne)

*ok it had "save the world" ending but by that time it stopped being "Noir".

denizsi

Arcane
Medieval Europe during The Plague. You know, lots of Jews, along with other minorities, all around Europe were killed or exiled because the average European believed Jews might have poisoned water sources. How ridiculous is that? And people go crazy all over "evil" Nazis. Anyway, harsh prosecution against minorities (I think Arcanum really blew this one), people dying everywhere, lots of dead bodies, a lot of mistrust. A lot of conflict between religious dogma and survivalist pragmatism. Insufficient resources. Hygiene and disease management. Lots of suspense and game play opportunities there. I'm kind of thinking of The Seventh Seal.

Zombie apocalypse in modern day, but not "post" apocalypse. The game would begin with the zombie outbreak just starting here and there, and you get to live through everything going wrong, the world going to hell, which would have turned "post"-apoc by the time you finished the game, and less or more post-apoc for you, depending on how you played and where you ended up.

What else. Something similar to what Azrael the cat suggested. A cross between Logan's Run and Soylent Green.

And oh, Half-Life 2 without all that heavy sci-fi shit with creatures, space ships and what not, and less sewers for fuck's sake. Best moments of the game for me was when you'd be escaping or avoiding Combine, especially the very beginning of the game when they start raiding apartments, and later when you return there. Almost a perfect depiction and execution of a dystopian setting. Then they blew it all with sewers and similar shit that took 3/5 the game. I don't even understand where they find the guts to suggest HL2 was such a good game anyway. Overall, it sucked. I've yet to play Episode1/2, I hope they're better.

denizsi

Arcane
No doubt about that. 1 had too many monster fights. Maybe it's just me but I'm not crazy about fighting monsters all the time. Actually, I'm not crazy about fighting all the time at all, but still, monsters are usually more boring. Still, I think 1 did a much better job with the enclosed environments than 2 did with the illusionary open environments.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Durwyn said:
Good RPG (NOT H&S OR ARPG) in mythological setting. Greek, Nordic, Egiptian or Celtic. Without slaying thousands of poor mythological beasts.
konung and konung 2 bor nordic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom