Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What jRPG should I play next

Jinn

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei V
Oh interesting! A recommendation for SMT V from someone I actually trust. Might be time to fire up the old yuzu.

I also second every other of z_z's recommendations. Man has fantastic taste.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Shin Megami Tensei V
Oh interesting! A recommendation for SMT V from someone I actually trust. Might be time to fire up the old yuzu.

I also second every other of z_z's recommendations. Man has fantastic taste.
I recommend it with one caveat: I've only played it for 8 hours or so on Hard at a very slow pace. My opinion might change closer to the end, but for now -- I'm having a good time.

Incognito/STK

Educated
Must be: on the PC or Switch, no emulation

I like: difficulty, mechanical focus, complex character customization, optional+hard dungeons/bosses

Bravely Default 2? It's sitting on my shelf but haven't tried it yet. The first one was challenging, there was plenty of customization and optional bosses. Might be a bit heavy on puerile anime dialogue tho.

Jinn

Arcane
Bravely Default 2? It's sitting on my shelf for ages but haven't tried it yet. The first one was challenging and there was plenty of customization.
I've heard Bravely Default 2 is the best in the series. I have it on PC myself, waiting in my backlog. Supposed to be quite challenging too. Going to play it whenever I get that Final Fantasy 3/5 itch again.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before I give you suggestions, do you mind trying Chinese rpgs, and how important is proper translation. Does it have to be great, or can you live with understanding what is going on? Based on your answers, I will give you five to ten recommendations.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Quality posts here gentlemen, thx for the suggestions

Before I give you suggestions, do you mind trying Chinese rpgs, and how important is proper translation. Does it have to be great, or can you live with understanding what is going on? Based on your answers, I will give you five to ten recommendations.

Well I enjoyed Troubleshooter tremendously even though it’s a horrible, terrible story *with* a shitty translation. I do mind constant struggles with UI though - dont mind bad UI, but if it completely bogs down the experience I’ll probably drop the game

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shin Megami Tensei III, get it now. (I just ordered a copy for myself physical PS4 for €16) This cuts a lot story bullshit, and focuses on exploration and combat. You can play around with your demons, and customize a decent amount. You're a nordic, too so I don't know if you can pick up cheap stuff from Sweden. Look up prisjakt.nu, or pricerunner.se

Shin Megami Tensei V might not be as good, but it is still a high quality game, with some performance issues, though.

Most of the SaGa games. I would advise you to try either Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Romacing SaGa 3, or SaGa Frontier as your first entry. While I adore SaGa: Scarlet Grace, and Romacing SaGa 2, I do not feel confident enough to recommend them as first foray into the series. The games use learn-by-doing systems, and when you use a weapon, you will eventually "spark" attacks for that weapon. The games lets you choose a starting main character, and this can determine what party members you get, what scenarios you can see, and more. They usually have banger soundtracks, and the writing is functional. What has kept this series so good, is that the creator is still around, and caring for it. Kawazu is behind great games. The games are very obtuse, but feel so rewarding once you figure things out.
w0b1ox91kab71.png

The Last Remnant, also headed by Kawazu. It is SaGa in all but nmae. While it does have some of the anime stuff you might hate, the game is so unique, that I can't really find anything like it. You don't use characters per se in combat. You do recruit characters, and all that, but you use unions. Mix characters to create good unions. Some good at healing, some at melee, some at range, and so on. I loved this game back in the day, and replayed on PC not very long ago. I still liked it. Just as the SaGa series, it can be very obtuse in its system. This one is even more rewarding once you figure things out. I remember at the start, that I was disappointed, but 94 hours later, with the super secret bosses, and the overpowered version of the final boss defeated, I was very happy.

Dungeon Encounters. It may seems so simple in its execution, and at the start, you might think to yourself, is that all there is to this? But the game gives you more and more options as you go. Lose a party? If you have a reserve party at your base, time to go on a rescue mission, but you can't grab a full party for rescuing people, there needs to be open slots. Want to try to skip some of the 100 flors? If you have the right teleportation spell, be my guest. But, but, but, but! You might end up in hell, or who knows where in the game world. Time to search for your lost party. The game uses an armor system like in Original Sin 2, which I was critical of, but here it isn't as annoying.

Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel is a very solid Chinese rpg, with a terribad translation (but it does produce some gems as shown below). But I liked everything else so much, that I just went with it. It lets you recruit a fair amount of party members, has turn-based combat, and a world map. You travel on it to go to new places, but it is not a jrpg style world map, it's an overview map.
415B9D6437193526AB8A1620ED6C7988D7881F4C

42ACF276A40B5DBAB0AE751EFDA8F3E3491E4A6E

165866F38A9F6CFED930C2F6EB3A826DE24E7838

Ho Tu Lo Shu. This only has a fan translation, or if one can even call it that. It's machine translation, with some edits here and there. Made by the Tale of Wuxia Studio. While the translation is more miss than hit, it is still one of my favorite rpgs in recent memory. Fun combat, exploration, and lots of characters to choose from as party members. You have the possibility to customize a lot when it comes to your characters abilities and more.

Bravely Default 2. It has pretty bad graphics, and not such a good soundtrack compared to other games in the series, but it is still fun because it offers a lot more jobs than Octopath Traveler 2, and some fight in the latter stages are very fun. Octo and BD series are both headed by Asano. I think that there is a Switch demo, if they did not remove it. (I checked, demo is still there.)

Triangle Strategy is a very divisive game, also headed by Asano. Very dialog heavy, and you don't get to customize your characters as much as other trpgs. Only try demo before considering this.

Octopath Traveler II. I you think the first game is decent, the second game is the same thing with some slight improvements here and there. Looks even better than the first game, has some fun secret bosses, and has a great soundtrack. Has a demo.

Front Mission 1 and 2. If you're interested in trying mech tactical rpgs, go for these ones. These are less anime, and more serious in tone. The second game's port seemed to be less than stellar at release, but it was its first official English release. While the mech customization isn't amazingly deep, you can still mess around with different combinations.

There's Brigandine: Legends of Runersia, but your mileage might vary on this one. I'll let someone else describe it further. A bit on the easy side, but Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi is a blobber with an unusal setting. I would like to recommend you Star Ocean: The Second Story R, but I have my doubts about you liking it. I know there is a Switch demo.

Baten Kaitos I and II. These are a bit different and use a card system for its battles. It can take some time getting used to.

Incognito/STK

Educated
Most of the SaGa games. I would advise you to try either Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Romacing SaGa 3, or SaGa Frontier as your first entry.

Hey Abu, never played any entry in the SaGa series. Do you think it's better to play the remasters or do the original releases still hold up?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Most of the SaGa games. I would advise you to try either Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Romacing SaGa 3, or SaGa Frontier as your first entry.

Hey Abu, never played any entry in the SaGa series. Do you think it's better to play the remasters or do the original releases still hold up?
The remasters work fine if you don't mind purchasing them, but there is nothing wrong with emulating the originals. They hold up.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Definitely recommend Minstrel Song and The Last Remnant, fantastic games. The remasters of RSaga 2 and 3 are just as good as the originals while adding QoL, so I recommend those.

I tried Crystal Project but it was so ugly I couldn't stand playing it.

Uh, Sea of Stars have any challenge? It's sitting on my hard drive all sad and neglected.

Incognito/STK

Educated

The remasters work fine if you don't mind purchasing them, but there is nothing wrong with emulating the originals. They hold up.

Tnx, nice to know. I’d play on original hardware with CRT and all, not emulated.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei III, get it now.

Thanks for all your suggestions! This is Nocturne, right? Is the Switch HD Remaster fine? I like buying the games that work well on Switch on it, both because it means I have something to play while traveling and because my office is currently getting rebuilt so my PC is in my bedroom, and my girlfriend likes to sleep in. So during weekend mornings I mostly only play the Switch currently (one of the reasons I've been playing Octopath) :P

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Yes, it is Nocturne. I have not played on Swutch. It seems to have frame drops here and there.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Alright folks, I watched some videos and read up on stuff, and I’m pretty hooked on the idea of getting into SMT. So I wishlisted Nocturne and am hoping to play it next. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Shin Megami Tensei III, get it now.

Thanks for all your suggestions! This is Nocturne, right? Is the Switch HD Remaster fine? I like buying the games that work well on Switch on it, both because it means I have something to play while traveling and because my office is currently getting rebuilt so my PC is in my bedroom, and my girlfriend likes to sleep in. So during weekend mornings I mostly only play the Switch currently (one of the reasons I've been playing Octopath) :P
The Switch version is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom