Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the single best SP TB Strategy?

Texas Red

Whiner
Just wondering. I'm quite new to the genre and not really qualified to give an opinion.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Heroes Of Might And Magic.

For us TBS-noobies, HoMM slides in quite smoothly and perfectly. Most accessible TBS game I know, and yet also genuinely a challenging and fun game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Civ4
Master of Orion 2

if you like 4x

If you look for something more combat-centered, yes, HoMM is a lot of fun, especially HoMM2 and HoMM3.
Or the Age of Wonders series, very good tactical TB combat.
I also enjoyed the Russian "Fantasy Wars" which is based on SSI's old Fantasy General. If you like that kind of TBS, try out all of the General games, they're abandonware and free to get.

circ

Arcane
I'm sorry for the derailment, but I wouldn't call the Civ series strategy at all. More like, build the more advanced unit and hit the other guy, almost ignoring terrain or unit placement completely. Unlike some other 4x games like MoO and MoM. Colonization had more strategy than Civs.

denizsi

Arcane
Funnily enough, ive recently played java adaptation of civ4 for my cellphone and it was more tactical and deep than many tbs games on pc. Then again, I haven't played that many 4x games.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Galactic Civilisation 1-2
Fantasy Wars
Elven Legacy
Disciples 1-2-(3)
Kings Bounty
Disgea 1-2-3

Thats about it from me

Carceri

Arcane
Alpha Centauri of course if we are to take into account 4x games.

JarlFrank said:
Or the Age of Wonders series, very good tactical TB combat.

Yeah, I really dig this. The first one might look silly, but it is very good. I like it more than the sequels.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Battle Isle (2200, especially)

Battle%20Isle%202_1.png

This is some old über-shit.
More than 60 different units, each with a set of different weapons/abilities. Each unit was to be used in a specific way in combination with others in order to win. You had to keep an eye on each units fuel tank, ammunitions, experience level, and carefully plan their deployement. Topography, momentum, resources farming. If you didn't master each aspect of the game, you ended utterly raped.

The game was hard, old-school hard.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Dominions 3, Alpha Centauri, Civ 4, Moo, Mom... We're talking about strategy games right? Which means you plan a long term, high level approach towards victory as opposed to optimizing units and to win every battle, which is what Tactical games are. HOMM is more of a tactical game for me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Age of Wonders SM which is basically a remake of Master of Magic with bettar grafx and unlike with HoMM you can support your allies in combat.
Age of Wonders 1 too if you want something more HoMM like.

Master of Orion 2 definitely.

X-Com is an obvious one as it is basically quite like MoM/HoMM games in its core - as you build and manage towns=bases and send your armies=squads to battle the enemy.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
the answer depends a lot what kinf of stratey you want exactly.

I could recommend some tb wargames but you probably wouldn't want them.

in the tactical world JA2 is arguably the pinnacle when it comes to gameplay. I have played a lot of games but nothing is as close to perfection as it. can't go wrong if you start there imo.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I'd suggest Age Of Wonders - Shadow Magic, too.

Seriously... all gameplay mechanics in there are superior to HoMM in so many ways, its almost scary.

Comparing those two games may be one of the best examples of how certain restrictions can positively influence gameplay.

Ghoulem

Erudite
RTW and HOMM3. JA2 is ok, I guess. Didn't play it that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom