Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the hivemind's opinion on Vampire - Redemtion?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The main problem is the combat that gets repetitive after a while, I think it also had some major bugs on release. Otherwise, story and atmosphere are very good.

Andhaira

Arcane
Redmeption had tons of potential, which was sadly ruined by crappy gameplay.

It had a fantastic character sheet, all disciplines (though not all really had an eeffect) but crappy real time combat ruined it.

Seriously, why don't these people get that pnp rpg's do not translate well to real time?? It breaks their combat. At the very least make it real-time with pause like Bioware, or phased (wizardry) if not full turnbased. Those at least are bearable.

The idea of going from one era to another was pretty good though, but not implemented well. It would be very very cool to play a vampire game where you start off in someplace like ancient egypt/greece/persia, then move through different era's. (rome, carthage, darkages, etc all the way to themodern day...and maybe even beyond (future?))

Heck, make it even better and have you start out as an antideluvian. Then when you wake up again in the modern day you woul dbe one of the most powerful ebing son the world, with the power to rip apart packs of powerful werewolves with ease.

Imagine destroying a bullet train with a punch, jumping higher than a plane, etc.

Seriously, something like this could be possible with a GTA4 type engine, though heavily modified to support turnbased combat, party based stat driven rpg gameplay.

hiver

Then when you wake up again in the modern day you woul dbe one of the most powerful ebing son the world, with the power to rip apart packs of powerful werewolves with ease.
That is what happens in redemption. When you wake up in modern times you are an Elder vampire for all intents and purposes and you can rip apart that werewolf, freeze and burn enemies with a look.

I found it especially satisfying considering you dont start as a Vampire but your are forced into it.
Starting out as one, especially antideluvian would cheapen the experience and sense of progression.

The main problem is the combat that gets repetitive after a while
Problem might be how real time is handled but i never got a feeling of special repetitiveness in Redemption. There is more then enough disciplines and items to choose from and enemies have a nice sense of variability and progression that demands different approaches to them, combat wise.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wait, you are an elder in Redemption later because in the beginning you were embraced in the dark ages (making you what, 6th generation?) Was there also a diablerie then somewhere in between? (I don't recall, I never finished it) Because just slumbering is not enough, even for someone embraced in the darkages, unless you spend decades building up your power (i.e. spedning xp) if you go to sleep a few weeks after being embraced, even 1000 years later if you wake up you wont be all that much powerful. Though compared to the lower higher generations (12, 13th etc) you will havemore potential.

But if you commited diablerie that could change stuff. I recall one of your allies is a Cappacodian, a clan which dies out thanks to the tremere.

Two more annoying things about redemption were that

1: You could not sleect your clan
2: Your stupidnpc companions kept wasting all their blood points on clerity!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You don't wake up in modern times anymore powerful than you were in the Middle Ages, you are wrong Hiver.

D:

hiver

I didnt say you actually become stronger or more powerful because you spent few centuries in torpor.
But it feels like you are an elder compared to rest of the noobs in the modern times. And that was very sweet.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well that was probably becausse in 'modern' days all vamps who are embraced are 13th gen. In the dark ages (when 'you' are embraced) you are around 8-9th gen. This means you have and can spendmore blood points in a single turn.

Plus you used xp to lvl up during ht dark ages.

ANyhow, if you really hunger for a real vamp game where you play as a real vamp who kills and sucks whenever he pleases, play Dark Omens:Legacy of kain.

Vibalist

Arcane
DriacKin said:
Vibalist said:
Bloodlines was more like the first 75% being good and the last 25 being bad. It didn't really start sucking until Chinatown, and even that area had some mildly interesting things. Horribly underdeveloped, tho.

The sewers sucked pretty badly, and if I remember correctly, that was still in Hollywood.
That being said, I agree that Chinatown was still somewhat interesting.

In my opinion the sewers weren't bad. They were heavy on fighting, but they also had interesting stuff, like the old reports lying around detailing what had happened there in the past. If nothing else, the place had a history that you could learn through some exploring, along with some decent puzzles and some pretty good scares down the road (like that huge thing that decended on you in the room with the dead security guards). And besides, meeting Gary more than made up for hacking your way through four levels of meatball monsters.
It wasn't really until some of the later levels, like LaCroix's tower and the Kuei-Jin temple, that I thought the game had gone overboard with the fighting. These levels had nothing redeeming about them at all, partly due to waves of respawning enemies, but also because they had nowhere near the level of detail the sewers had.

dolio

Scholar
The sewers have two problems that make them easy to hate, from what I can tell from the playthrough I just finished:

1) At the beginning, there's a lot of crawling-through-pipes maze action going on, and it's easy to go around in circles, especially since there's no map. Naturally, this can be frustrating (I'm not much of a fan of it).

2) After you get past that, there are the huge creatures that can easily nearly kill you if you try to melee them, for instance (I had 0 firearms skill this time through, due to the background I chose). Even when you beat them, it's not uncommon to be left with 3/4 of your health gone, which means you have to stand around and wait for it to fill back up unless you want to burn blood (and the odious chalice doesn't fill up fast enough). And they do aggravated damage, which takes extra long to heal.

All the while, you get to think about how killing enemies doesn't actually do you any good in the game (there are about two enemies in the game whose death isn't required for a quest that yield experience for killing them, and one you can't simply hack to death). This time through, I was a Malkavian, so I got to obfuscate my way through, and it was much nicer.

By contrast, the temple and venture tower were pretty easy. I used a lot of obfuscate there, too, but even when I occasionally messed up, I never came close to dying to the point that I had to sit around and heal up for a while (and the venture tower had plenty of human enemies, to boot).

I'm not saying that they weren't fairly poor areas, but I could see the sewers being more hated. Obfuscate is a life saver, though (sneaking might do some good, as well, but I think I read that the unofficial patch changed some tables in the name of "realism" that make sneaking worthless in practice, which is a bummer).

Panthera

Scholar
Bloodlines is a million times better, but I don't think Redemption is a bad game at all. The start's a bit rough and difficult, but once you turn vampire and get a party it's a pretty solid and atmospheric hack and slash with a decent story.

I really liked the transition to modern times, too. I say YES to being a 600 year old vampire with a chainsaw.

Vibalist

Arcane
So, I'm currently playing Redemption and I must say I like it. Maybe it's only due to the fact that I need my WoD fix and have already played Bloodlines to death, but I really don't think it deserves the criticism it gets from some posters here. My opinion could change though, as I'm only nearly done with Prague.

I actually really like the main character Christoff too. Not that he's incredibly well written or one of my favorite heroes of all time, but I think he's reasonably cool and nowhere near as annoying as you might expect a Holy Crusader turned vampire might be. There's a bit of emo crying going on on his part, but not too much at all. And Willem is cool too as a sort of sidekick.

All in all, I'm having fun so far, as I also find the story intruiging. But the combat does sucketh.

mondblut

Arcane
Redemption sucked a lot, but it gets a point for not being an annoying FPS. And another for having a party like any real RPG should.

Zomg

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Is Volourn actually disappointed that more people aren't disagreeing with him?"

No, just weirdly surprised. last time, people were trying to stuff me with 'V:R' is so awesome crap.

The hack&fags should be defending it but they've pussed out in this thread in the face of hivemind.

flushfire

Augur
hiver said:
i always thought there would be a sequel which would improve its shortcomings in area of dialogue, non-linearity and C&C while keeping the good stuff
it has shortcomings in dialogue, C&C and is linear? what good stuff is there to keep?

seriously, ive tried so many times but cant even get past the mines. start game painful voices Szlachta Szlachta Szlachta rat rat Szlachta rat rat Szlachta Szlachta Szlachta Szlachta Boss Szlachta Szlachta Szlachta Uninstall

AndhairaX said:
Redmeption had tons of potential, which was sadly ruined by crappy gameplay.

The idea of going from one era to another was pretty good though, but not implemented well. It would be very very cool to play a vampire game where you start off in someplace like ancient egypt/greece/persia, then move through different era's. (rome, carthage, darkages, etc all the way to themodern day...and maybe even beyond (future?))

Heck, make it even better and have you start out as an antideluvian. Then when you wake up again in the modern day you woul dbe one of the most powerful ebing son the world, with the power to rip apart packs of powerful werewolves with ease.

Imagine destroying a bullet train with a punch, jumping higher than a plane, etc.

Seriously, something like this could be possible with a GTA4 type engine, though heavily modified to support turnbased combat, party based stat driven rpg gameplay.

Actually the 'uber-guy' thing is partially what would put me off the 'live through the ages' kind of game. What WOULD bring that kind of setting to life is continuing NPC relationships and faction struggles over the eras. If side-quests done in earlier generations led to payoffs in later eras. If you had a mixture of main villains, some whose plots first appear in the earliest ages and are long term, and some who (/Irenicus) jack the party late, characters who become friends/enemies and back again over different epocs. Kind of a highlander feel to it. Otherwise the 'different eras' thing may as well just be geographically separated quest hubs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Redemption is a FAR better RPG than what I have experienced in Fallout 3 so far.

r00fles!

keppj0nes

Educated
When there was a beta-test for this game there was some really enthusiastic people running multiplayer campaigns, but after a while practically no one was doing mutiplayer anymore

I always had a soft spot for the graphics in this game, the faces looked amazing compared to some things released at the time like deus ex

Bloodeyes

Arcane
A tedious linear hackfest with a cheesy plot and some memorable characters. Cheesy plot is forgiven because it's a game about vampires. Dumb ending.

Vibalist

Arcane
inwoker said:
Game had actual consequences for choices. I mean the ending had.

And it actually has quite a few choices at certain keypoints in the game. Currently enjoying it very much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom