Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the appeal of games about things you can do IRL?

Cassidy

Arcane
This is a question that as irked me for a long time. It's a partially subjective question, of course, because some things like racing would require some cash investment and dedication to it and involve actual risks, but still, to get straight to the point, I'm referring to games about -insert favorite sports in your country that you can find a courtyard/field to play nearly anywhere here- or even worse: Wii Fit. I mean, if there is something you could do for real and get a potentially greater fun factor than playing a shallow simulacrum of it would ensue, why are people buying shit like "fitness" videogames when they can easily go around for a hike, or meet people you like and that are funny?

It's a sort of contradiction how some of these supposedly mainstream games actually seem to be made for a sort of caricaturesque, declined nerd with neither social abilities necessary to do the same activities such games simulate nor intellectual abilities necessary to play hardcore games instead of normal people.

I don't really understand what people see about such banal games. Are people going so down with phobia of failing in their attempts to persuade friends, dating, etc that they want some cheap self-aggrandizement while fapping to meaningless achievements no matter how unfun it sounds?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Cassidy said:
why are people buying shit like "fitness" videogames when they can easily go around for a hike

I'd say that for many people artificial can easily surpass real. I mean, some are even partially MADE of plastic.

Cassidy said:
they want some cheap self-aggrandizement while fapping to meaningless achievements

That pretty much describes the worst aspect of today's society as a whole, not only games.

Destroid

Arcane
Getting fit seriously is sweaty, hard work, Wii fit is (presumably, I have not played it) not.

This is probably a large part of why people play any sports game as opposed to the actual sport.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
DuckHunt.jpg

This was the shit back in the day.

roll-a-die

Magister
Lonely Vazdru said:
Cassidy said:
why are people buying shit like "fitness" videogames when they can easily go around for a hike

I'd say that for many people artificial can easily surpass real. I mean, some are even partially MADE of plastic.

HEY I help put that there... Month in month out... I hate my job but I like money so I will continue working in my industry.

Al to answer the question more completely, most people live in suburbia where fields were licensed out 3 years ago to contractors to build house with 20 feet of clearance between them. Jogging would take them alternatively through Urban decay then suburbia then more urban decay then more suburbia. And their choices are pay twenty bucks a month for a gym membership, pay 20 bucks one time for a wii game to play or jog through that.

I keep a treadmill in my office and a stationary resistance bike in my garage. I use those in my spare time. I also don't have a current/"next" gen console.

roll-a-die

Magister
Not going to the gym to jog, just going to the gym.

Or if you meant it in a genuine sense. Quite allot actually, some corps down here have in house gyms.

Mystary!

Arcane
People just love the comfort of their home. They can drink, eat, shit, rest and quit playing whenever they want. Outside things get more complicated.

Joghurt

Augur
Destroid said:
Who pays $20 a month to go to the gym to jog?

I do. Well I'm also lifting weights and shit but I jog at the gym too. I do it because it's winter now and it's impossible to go jogging when it's -20C ...

Elzair

Cipher
Destroid said:
Getting fit seriously is sweaty, hard work, Wii fit is (presumably, I have not played it) not.

This is probably a large part of why people play any sports game as opposed to the actual sport.

I don't know man. 15 minutes of Rhythmic Boxing can leave me panting.

Elzair

Cipher
roll-a-die said:
Lonely Vazdru said:
Cassidy said:

HEY I help put that there... Month in month out... I hate my job but I like money so I will continue working in my industry.

Al to answer the question more completely, most people live in suburbia where fields were licensed out 3 years ago to contractors to build house with 20 feet of clearance between them. Jogging would take them alternatively through Urban decay then suburbia then more urban decay then more suburbia. And their choices are pay twenty bucks a month for a gym membership, pay 20 bucks one time for a wii game to play or jog through that.

I keep a treadmill in my office and a stationary resistance bike in my garage. I use those in my spare time. I also don't have a current/"next" gen console.

20 buck a month?! It was more like $40 when I looked around last year. The only place that was nearly $20 was the goddamn YMCA!

Kraszu

Prophet
Cassidy said:
why are people buying shit like "fitness" videogames when they can easily go around for a hike, or meet people you like and that are funny?

I don't play such games, but still hiking requires more effort then playing wii fit, you have to move your ass out of the house for example, and not everywhere there is a place too hike. Meeting people is even more fuss.

As for sport games like Fifa playing them is completely diferent then playing football. I had liked the game more then the real thing. I had never liked either much.

Cassidy said:
I don't really understand what people see about such banal games. Are people going so down with phobia of failing in their attempts to persuade friends, dating, etc that they want some cheap self-aggrandizement while fapping

Social mmos or cyber sex would be more relevant to that point then wii fit. Maybe, some of them probably are, some may just be weirdos that prefer it, some find the extra fuss not worth it.

Cassidy said:
to meaningless achievements no matter how unfun it sounds?

Everything is meaningless. What is fun is subjective.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Personally, I wouldn't mind exercising at home with a computer aid than going out.
There is a lot of dog shit outside, because some pollacks hate their country and don't clean after their dogs.
Fuck, I hate dog shit, it makes the outside look fucking disgusting.

Fritz Haber

Educated
I think part of it is good marketing, especially concerning old folks.

They don't really play games or understand them, they just heard it would be good for them and great for company.

Case in point, last Christmas I had the misfortune to be at my fathers house where
a wii was lying around (why I don't know) with those craptastic sports games.

So I had to spent about three hours before I could eat and leave, shoving that controller to the right
or left, all the while hearing remarks from these people about how awesome and 'technologically astounding' it all was.

(they even bought a DS now for the sole purpose of playing that brain-jogging bullshit)

edit
u happy nao?

CrimHead

Scholar
Your post reads like fucking stream-of-consciousness, Haber.

Learn 2 paragraph.

Secretninja

Cipher
In life, people can say no. This can lead to uncomfortable situations, where after saying no you do it anyway. Then, you have to clean up the mess, hide the body, and come up with an alibi. Videogames do not have this problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom