Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ What is an RPG Attempt #186,091

agris

Arcane
Patron
:flamesaw:

Stargazer_

RPG's definition will vary with a lot of people, because the truth is it is a nebulously define genre that gets more nebulously defined as time goes on due to the integration of many of the genre's mechanics into games of a different genre (albeit poorly). But the definition most of codex like to aspire it to is games based on mechanics from old PnP games.

The term RPG is kind of like MOBA shitty terminology that fails to describe anything of worth, Its not specific enough to describe the general game play or any specific mechanics that are shared between a multitude of title like turn based strategy games, First Person Shooters, or Platforming games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
RPG is...
q6PqOLJ.jpg

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RPG's definition will vary with a lot of people, because the truth is it is a nebulously define genre that gets more nebulously defined as time goes on due to the integration of many of the genre's mechanics into games of a different genre (albeit poorly) most people are idiots. But the definition most of codex like to aspire it to is games based on mechanics from old PnP games.

Much better.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's actually possible to define RPG but in order to do so someone here is going to have to break into the LHC and get it running at 100% capacity for at least three weeks straight.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In 2016 "RPG" stands for "Rapefugees PWNING Germany". :terrorist:

This genre has sub genres like aRPG (African Rapefugees PWNING Germany), jRPG (Jihadist Rapefugees PWNING Germany), among others.

Last edited:

The Fox Bard

Barely Literate
RPG's definition will vary with a lot of people, because the truth is it is a nebulously define genre that gets more nebulously defined as time goes on due to the integration of many of the genre's mechanics into games of a different genre (albeit poorly). But the definition most of codex like to aspire it to is games based on mechanics from old PnP games.

The term RPG is kind of like MOBA shitty terminology that fails to describe anything of worth, Its not specific enough to describe the general game play or any specific mechanics that are shared between a multitude of title like turn based strategy games, First Person Shooters, or Platforming games.

Hey Stargazer, thanks for sharing your opinion.
Yeah, I think the game that has the closest experience to a tabletop RPG that I've played is Realms of Arkania, so I think I can understand why you guys stick to that definition.

It's just that sometimes it gets a little difficult to actually make the distinction.

And I apologize to the moderators for creating a topic about a subject that has already been discussed. Thanks for pointing me to this topic :)

Osvir

Learned
Roleplaying can mean putting on a robe and wizard hat, and pretend that you can cast magic. It can also mean creating an avatar and posting on a forum. Or playing a pre-defined script and act on it. Acting.

Hmm... makes me wonder...

When VR becomes commercial, will we be able to define the difference between putting on a wizard hat and putting on a VR headset and be a Wizard?

Virtual LARPing, my mind is ready.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If even the codex has such difficulty defining rpgs, maybe it's not our efforts but the term itself that is wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom