Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

TedNugent

Arcane
What happened to "mature" art direction?

d6ac592be3e935d118f02419578eb16a.jpg
I find this to be a bit flat, uninteresting and reductionist for my taste to be completely honest....

It's kind of surprising actually that Ilya Repin was painting in the late 19th century.

486px-Procesi%C3%B3n_de_Pascua_en_la_regi%C3%B3n_de_Kursk%2C_por_Ili%C3%A1_Repin.jpg
382px-Iv%C3%A1n_el_Terrible_y_su_hijo%2C_por_Ili%C3%A1_Repin.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I find this to be a bit flat, uninteresting and reductionist for my taste to be completely honest....
No shit. Russians didn't know how to paint in the XV century. Renaissance came to Russia 3 centuries late.

It was a joke post with a bit of sarcasm hidden in it, you're the only one who caught it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You know, despite how inexplicably visually annoying this image is, the horse is actually rendered realistically, and I appreciate the fact that he is holding the reins and the handle inside of his center gripped boss held shield. He also seems to be wearing practical clothing.
Looks great dude

ind33d

Educated
Everyone wants to be a, poor man's, Genndy Tartakovsky. Characters in 95% of animation for the past 15 years look like mutants. I'm all for cartoon art, but the present day shit ain't Tex Avery or Fleischer. Notice how angular and pointy a lot of stuff is now. Straight lines and corners are easier to draw and animate than organic shapes and roundness.
shit you couldn't even make Evangelion's intro credits today without Microsoft shutting you down for showing too much skin and not having enough minorities

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I'd play a game based on Beksiński's art.

And there's even an RPG in the works!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1968940/Nazralath_The_Fallen_World/

On the other hand it looks like a Soulslike :negative:

If it's any consolation, some of the stuff I'm working on has very Beksiński-inspired backgrounds and environments.

However, my actual character artstyle is tranime garbage though, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

Right now I'm trying to take as much inspiration from Frazetta as possible, a tall feat considering considering the canyon of skill, virtuosity and just raw talent between us. But we all had to start somewhere, right? I regret not discovering his work sooner. The stuff he did for Conan The Barbarian and John Carter Of Mars is exactly the kind of swashbuckling, bodice ripper, high fantasy vibe I've been going for.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's only really games that depend on fast online gameplay that tend to have a cartooney style.

Basically, there are two major "pulls" in art design, the one pulling towards greater and more detailed realism, the other pulling to cartoonish stylization and simplification. I reckon the latter became a thing after WoW implemented a stylized cartoonish style that could be played on the humblest of potatoes, and developers realized that going for detailed realism in online games leaves money on the table. There's also the factor that cartoonish stylization and simplification is usually more easily "readable" in fast gameplay. On the other hand detailed realism is loved by many, is usually more immersive, and garners kudos and publicity and a wow factor, so it's a tricky question that I think has to be decided on right at the beginning of the development process.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the other hand detailed realism is loved by many
I'm honestly not sure anymore. I'm seeing more and more that people actually whine and make faces whenever something has realistic, grounded art style. Very often it's tied to criticism of bugs or performance issues, when people say "fuck this stupid realism, they should've gone for something simple and cheery and avoid all these problems" but you can feel it's just a pretext.

Or vice versa - let's take System Shock Remake, a tense immersive sim with horror elements set on a hostile space station, THE perfect genre for ultra-realistic art style. But they went with cartoony and stylized and people actually cheered! And when I tried to explain a game like this can be massively enhanced by a realistic, immersive art style - imagine cartoonish Dead Space, wouldn't be the same, would it? - I got a lot of abuse with "go fuck yourself, realistic-fag, can't stand realism, love cartoon".

This sentiment is increasingly prevalent, even here on Codex. Degeneracy and decline everywhere.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So these were the games we played as KIDS, No oversized heads, no big eyes, no white donkey teeth. And these are the games played by ADULTS now,

What happened?
I believe art direction comes in waves for what is and isn't popular. Currently bright colors and cartoonish characters have been determined by marketing departments to be popular and will sell. That will likely change after some time.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Not everything has to be "realistic"...
The abhorrent modern artstyle is soulless and unimaginative.
Bring back Conans, Kulls, sexy warrior queens in bikini chainmails, dragons, monsters, huge swords and axes, knights in proper plate armor, grittiness...
80s testosterone soaked fantasy, yeah?

Cologno

Educated
So these were the games we played as KIDS, No oversized heads, no big eyes, no white donkey teeth. And these are the games played by ADULTS now,

What happened?
I believe art direction comes in waves for what is and isn't popular. Currently bright colors and cartoonish characters have been determined by marketing departments to be popular and will sell. That will likely change after some time.
Part of it, perhaps, but markets don't dtermine evrything. People in general are getting dumber, too, so also less capable of creativity.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I think it's only really games that depend on fast online gameplay that tend to have a cartooney style.

Basically, there are two major "pulls" in art design, the one pulling towards greater and more detailed realism, the other pulling to cartoonish stylization and simplification. I reckon the latter became a thing after WoW implemented a stylized cartoonish style that could be played on the humblest of potatoes, and developers realized that going for detailed realism in online games leaves money on the table. There's also the factor that cartoonish stylization and simplification is usually more easily "readable" in fast gameplay. On the other hand detailed realism is loved by many, is usually more immersive, and garners kudos and publicity and a wow factor, so it's a tricky question that I think has to be decided on right at the beginning of the development process.

I think that, while it may have been true in the past, this has long since ceased to be the case. Many ordinary ‘western’ people have become so alienated from the mechanisms and kinetic reality of the world around them, they can no longer recognize material realism when they see it except to the extent that they find it, strangely enough, threatening.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
they find it, strangely enough, threatening.
This.

It's tied to the infantilization phenomenon in the West - adult people regressing back to childhood state, increasingly craving cartoonish, cutesy, fluffy entertainment, cat-eared characters with squeaky voices. And talking about it makes them very mad and very defensive. It's indeed a threat.

I guess deep down they can see what's happening to them but they won't face the reality coz then they'd look in the mirror and see the pathetic parodies of men they are. So it's essential to keep living in their virtual reality where adult men playing with little ponies is completely normal and you're just an obsolete boomer weirdo if you suggest otherwise.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's tied to the infantilization phenomenon in the West - adult people regressing back to childhood state, increasingly craving cartoonish, cutesy, fluffy entertainment, cat-eared characters with squeaky voices. And talking about it makes them very mad and very defensive. It's indeed a threat.
This is an excellent summary. I agree.

janior

Arcane
Patron
WoW/WC3 used to look great dunno why people have such hate boner for those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom