Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Games do YOU want to see remade?

Loki

Educated
Remake DARK SUN: SHATTERED LANDS.

How did this game get so neglected, so poorly nourished? No game from my childhood fills me with as much nostalgia and respect as DS:SL, yet, there is not other game that I know of that has sullied my joy quite like this game, because THE DAMN THING WASN'T PROPERLY PATCHED.

REMAKE THIS FUCKING GAME Do not game developers/publishers realize how successful this game would be if given another chance?

You start off in the slave pens. You build up your strength fighting in the arenas, and through careful investigation and strategy, you can escape undetected into the sewers. How classic is that? What rpg do I know of that has such a compelling start? You flee into the sewers, where your path forks in many possible directions, opening up into a harsh, arid land. Unlike the inferior Baldur's Gate, the game is full of inventory based puzzle solving. The dry, arid land is littered with beautiful oasis' and fantastic colors.

The phenomena of remaking games hasn't been around for too long. I'm not nearly as well versed in the industry as many of you, so pardon me if I fail to mentioned something significant, but the first instance of a remake that I can recall was Super Mario All-stars on the SNES. 4 games on one cartridge, redone with a beautiful new paint job was an excellent idea. The game play mechanics were preserved perfectly, with the only difference being the graphics, which were a fantastic improvement.

Final Fantasy 3 (DS), Metroid Zero Mission, Resident Evil for Game Cube, Prince of Persia Classic(360), Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, Star Fox 64 - all of these games were remakes of graphically outdated classics, and I'm sure they were all profitable.

So why not remake our favorite games more often? If you pick the right game, remakes are arguably more profitable. You don't have to invest in nearly as large of designer staff, all you need are your graphic artists and a staff to reprogram. Designing the game isn't as hard, it's pretty much already done for you.

RPG's are a huge market. I thought that with Baldur's Gate 1 we would finally see a proper reincarnation of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I thought BG1 would be an improvement in every way. But the only thing better about it were the graphics and combat. It was missing a soul. No investory based puzzle solving, and horrible interaction with environment. BG2 was only a slight improvement, not enough to redeem itself completely.

There was just something so addicting and delightful about DS:SL, and I just can't recall cRPG's ever getting the magic back that we had with that game.

Fallout comes very close, in fact, it's right up there, but when it comes to a fantasy setting with magic, swords, wyverns and mages, nothing has reach the level of DS:SL.

It needs to be remade, perhaps with an engine similar to DA:O, or perhaps preserve the perspective of the original. I don't know how I want the graphics to look, but I just know we had something really special with that game, and it got neglected and never properly finished. A damn shame.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Cory said:
Remake DARK SUN: SHATTERED LANDS.
Fuck you and your remakes. All this game needs is a simple patch to fix the final battle not appearing. That's it.

tl;dr

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Bungie could go fuck themselves with retarded Halo, and make the proper continuation or remake of Myth.
Even moreso, they could make a cRPG in Myth universe...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
DS:SL was awesome. We had a completed LP (Jim's?) last year here. It's fully playable in DosBox. It would be great if more games were made in the same vein, and / or in the same setting... but if someone decided to pick up the franchise, the worst thing they could do imho would be to remake the first part of the series. An original, new game in the same style would be pure heavan.

Fezzik

Cipher
Shattered Lands is pretty much perfect as is. At least I've never encountered any particularly bad bugs (just some weird inventory stuff). Wake of the Ravager, on the other hand, could use some fixing.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fallout 1 and 2 could benefit greatly from an interface that doesn't strip much of the enjoyment from the game (second+ long load upon entering an exiting combat=ugh) though a source port would be better.

bhlaab

Erudite
System Shock 1, but with minimal gameplay changes.

Daggerfall, but more in the vein of a source port.

FarCry in the Crysis engine

Commander Keen series with updated graphics

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i would like to see a remake of space rogue, the privateer prequel where you could run around bases, sundog, planet's edge, or schleichfahrt/archimedean dynasty.

AzraelCC

Scholar
mikaelis said:
Bungie could go fuck themselves with retarded Halo, and make the proper continuation or remake of Myth.
Even moreso, they could make a cRPG in Myth universe...

Yeah, I miss the VO saying with such nonchalance: CASUALTIES.

What I'd really like is that old Windows game called Evolution, where you try to evolve intelligent life. It's a flawed gem. With proper gameplay mechanics and an update of the species based on the latest discoveries in the fields of Biology and Paleontology, this could make for an interesting game.

Lingwe

Liturgist
I really want to see a remake of age of legends. I just have a soft spot for turn based strategy with real time battles.

Tycn

Savant
Grim Fandango. Can't stand the camera or controls but everything else about it was flawless.

spectre

Arcane
My top4 to be remade:

1. Darklands - with improved interface and teh graffix to make whores cry.
2. Ufo/Xcom - with proper atmosphere this time, K?
3. MOO - no real time with pause bollocks this time, plz.
4. Syndicate (Wars)

Morkar Left

Starflight 1+2

Darklands

Ultima 4

Frontier

Megatraveller

relootz

Scholar
Dungeon Keeper one with the improvements of 2 in 3D, with huge maps. Imagine having an opposite keeper with in between a gigantic hero fortress and no ability to train, so you need to fight to level up.

Sounds pretty awesome huh :cool:

Syndicate

Starcraft, although we already kind of have that in Starcraft 2

HOMM2

SS2 with better gfx would be great

Carmageddon 1

Blood

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fallout. With GURPS instead of SPECIAL, much more interactivity and survival elements and with high resolution. Also, with 1:1 maps (Ginormous Vault with 1000 people for example.).

Most of this thread is full of blasphemy and those spouting it should be burned at the stake.

Why someone wants to remake brilliant games is beyond me.

How about this idea? Lets remake horrid games with decent premises? Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor for instance? And Lionheart? I am certain there are others that sound great on paper though turned out to be attrocious. The rest should be left as is; brilliant games. If someone wants to make a brilliant game, there is nothing stopping them from creating something original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom