Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Risewild

Arbiter
Hillsfar on the C64. It was a spin-off of the Gold Box Series and basically a collection of mini-games rather than a proper RPG. First proper RPG I played was Curse Of The Azure Bonds, the sequel to Pool Of Radiance.

The Gold Box series was pure greatness.
Wasn't Hillsfar the one with the riding the horse between towns minigame and the lockpick minigame? I remember playing that. I still prefer that lockpick minigame (the suffereing when you broke a lockpick and couldn't unlock locks that used that lockpick anymore :argh:) to the ones from Skyrim or Fallout 3 :D.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Wasn't Hillsfar the one with the riding the horse between towns minigame and the lockpick minigame? I remember playing that. I still prefer that lockpick minigame (the suffereing when you broke a lockpick and couldn't unlock locks that used that lockpick anymore :argh:) to the ones from Skyrim or Fallout 3 :D.

Exactly this. The riding minigame was absolutely annoying as it became harder during the game. Which idiot put all these obstacles on the road, Jesus. :argh:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
It was HeroQuest on Santaka 002 (ZX Spectrum Plus clone).
iur

1manstudio

1-Man Studio
Developer
For me it was Final Fantasy 1 on NES. But the most memorable for me in regards to not just RPG, bu MMORPG, has to be Ultima Online.

Hhmm, the very first RPG-ish game I played was Zelda: Link's Awakening I think. It wasn't an RPG, but it had a lot of similar elements, combat, exploration, basic dialogue, lite character development (hearts and item abilities), loot. The level of complexity and depth compared to previous simpler games I've played before awed me (like simple side-scrollers and action/sports games).

Once I got my first PC, Diablo was the very first RPG I played. I was addicted to it for about a month. Then, Final Fantasy VII was the first proper RPG (non-hack'n'slash) that I played. Compared to Diablo, it seemed a lot more involved, so I loved it quite a bit at the time. Then, I saw everyone talking about this new RPG that blew people away. So I went out and bought it. Baldur's Gate. Started playing it and was completely befuddled. I don't come from a PnP background, have never heard of D&D before playing BG. Compared to games like Diablo and FF, it seemed like Encyclopedia Brittanica. Armor class? THAC0? Saving throws? Longsword +1? What are all these interface buttons? Anyways, I played for about 40 minutes, got to Friendly Arm inn, and quit.

A few months later, I was going through a dry spell with games, so I decided to fire it up again. This time I was determined to learn the alien language of nerd-dom, and actually read the manual. After a couple of hours of playing, I was completely enthralled. Another few days, and I was in love. Spent the next month lost on the Sword Coast. This was my introduction to a proper Western RPG, and the rest was history.

Hyperion

Arcane
7th Saga for SNES. I was 3. Learned how to read watching my old man play. Earliest memory I have is him nerdraging because Olvan was his 2nd and stole all the runes from him after Valsu died to Doros in that mind-controlled city. Fucking chasing down that greedy, cocksucker of a Dwarf around the world in every city getting his ass kicked every time because they were programmed to be stronger than you no matter your level and stats.

All part of his quest to beat it with every character combination, both 1st and 2nd.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This:
hqdefault.jpg

Mystic Quest for the Gameboy.
Was called Final Fantasy Adventure outside of Europe.
Ah, fond memories...

On PC, it was possibly this odd thing from a shareware disc: Faustus.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I don't remember to be honest. My teens were spent in a cannabinoid induced fog. We had everything from the XT and Pong onwards, so something between 1980 and 1988.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Baldur's Gate 1 when I played it back in the days. It was real revelation to me, like reading a good fantasy novel.

Back in the days I didn't have internet so I finished it alone, whitout reading walkthrough or cheating.

Nowadays I can't play games whitout walkthroughs, I want to know what awaits me in adventure.

Goromorg

Savant
Fallout 1. A friend told me that there are laser miniguns, power armour and a perk that makes all enemies die in an extremely brutal manner. Of course I was sold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom