Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you spend the most time on?

DicLupa

Literate
It's a bit of a cheat because of the mod factor, but easily Half-Life. Probably spent every other weekend downloading and trying mods blindly. Even with multi-player conversions with low player counts, I would still just spawn into empty maps and run around, checking out everything I could.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A certain MUD, probably 4000h ~
GW1 2500+ h

Probably should have a separate category for single player games, I don't think I've spent more than 150h on any.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Probably Thief 2, if we're counting FMs.

If only the "official" game counts, Heroes 3.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Hard to say for definite as mine are spread over several systems, some of which don't measure game-play time, but at a guess I'd say my top 5 most played are:
  • X-Com '94
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Afterburner 2
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Star Control
EDIT: Total War: Rome would be in with a shout too
Including Afterburner 2 here is surprising. From my understanding, the game is super short (there are playthroughs which take 15 minutes in total on YouTube). So, if you played through the full game 1000 times at 15 minutes playthrough, you only end up with 250 hours total play time which equals about two playthroughs of BG2. This is nice illustration that "most played" doesn't always mean "most time invested".

Falksi

Arcane
Hard to say for definite as mine are spread over several systems, some of which don't measure game-play time, but at a guess I'd say my top 5 most played are:
  • X-Com '94
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Afterburner 2
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Star Control
EDIT: Total War: Rome would be in with a shout too
Including Afterburner 2 here is surprising. From my understanding, the game is super short (there are playthroughs which take 15 minutes in total on YouTube). So, if you played through the full game 1000 times at 15 minutes playthrough, you only end up with 250 hours total play time which equals about two playthroughs of BG2. This is nice illustration that "most played" doesn't always mean "most time invested".
Yep. Although, whilst it can be finished in 15-20 minutes, no-one in the world did that without a lot of practice too.

When I play it now on it's Hardest setting, on a bad day I'm wiped out by stage 14, an average day stage 19, and on a good day I beat it. That's also using all 3 credits too, I've never 1CC'd it on Hard either, nowhere near. The way that the gameplay is so excellently crafted means that 1 small slip can throw out your rhythm and positioning, and thus it can be very unpredictable and require you to think on the fly, making it immeasurably replayable.

I still play it several times a week now, it's my go-to quick unwind blast and so, even though it's short-lived in size, in terms of enjoyment depth it's ocean-deep.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - huge ammount of time playing online back in the day
GTA: San Andreas - just loading save game to just drive around for kicks and to clear my mind/to think - I should go back to it, it was better than mindless doom scrolling
TES: Morrowind - it feels like my home

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dungeon Crawl original. It's a freeware, and it simulates different species as different species.
HoI4. I spend so many hours to punch trough Siberia as Japan, or ComChi... (I wonder why it typically ends by slog of fighting in Siberia, or in Mexico.)

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only two games I probably played over 1000 hours are Morrowind and Battlefield 1942, mostly Desert Combat.
Shootout to TF2, CS1.6 and AoE2 too.

Fink

Novice
In my early 20s, I worked like 12 hours a week. The rest of the time I played Lord of the Rings Online nearly every waking hour - sometimes up to 20 hour sessions - chainsmoking and drinking black coffee. Good times. I'm not and never have been fat, by the way.

Gostak

Educated
Probably Unreal Tournament (especially if you count the various mods I played, some Weapons Factory UT, TacticalOps, quite some Infiltration and lots of ThieveryUT; offline also others like Night's Edge).
On Steam it's currently still Barotrauma also for some time to come although I have not played it in a while (it's not appealing in singleplayer at least to me and in MP without a set crew you are bound to get griefed by deranged asshats) and I like the runner-ups more.

toroid

Arcane
Noita probably, but there are a few others that are close.
Noita: 850 hours. The only one I can get an accurate measurement on via steam.
Dark Souls 1: Several hundred hours across multiple platforms.
War Thunder: Also several hundred hours.
Doom 1 & 2: Who knows how much time I spent playing Doom. Been playing off and on for 30 years. Could be my most played game.
Carmageddon 2: Probably not the most played of all, but it's the game I played most in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Reality

Learned
My only steam game over a thousand hours is Tabletop Simulator

Of games I have no evidence for I think the highest group would include:

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
Worms: Armageddon
Age of Mythology
Dr. Lunatic
Starfox 64
World of Tanks
Mario Tennis
Bomberman Generation

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I don't think i can spend thousand of hours on any game before eventually getting bored, let's see...

I have 400+ hours in Tales of Maj'eyal according to steam.
In the past i was playing Space Station 13 quite a lot.
Playing a lot of Doom mods, TCs and custom WADs as of late. Doom has enough mods to last a lifetime.

Iucounu

Educated
I don't think i can spend thousand of hours on any game before eventually getting bored
For me it's the other way around, if I like the game's atmosphere I try to get as much playtime as possible from it, even if it requires me to create my own little challenges.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Ultima Online if we're counting MMOs.

Single player, uh... its hard to tell because I played baldurs gate before steam was a thing, but I currently have nearly 400 hours in pathfinder: wrath of the righteous.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Unreal Tournament with mods and bots. In hundreds hours... from 2000 to 2012 iirc played it every day except Sundays (for some reason I could not play FPS genre that day due to mood or something).
Saga counts? Then STALKER saga - with mods even more. Easily 1k... can't say precise hours because X-Fire is gone and Steam only counts them from 2021 - way past their primes for me.
One game - Path of Exile, 4,5k hours. It managed to scratch something that Diablo2 failed. Stil reinstalling it when new league starts (every 3-4 months) only to play Standard aka "junkyars of old characters and items from previous leagues... because I can't arse myself to play campaign again. Play rebalanced endgame content with my old characters, for a few days/hours, and bail to uninstall.

Kruyurk

Learned
6000 hours of Dota2 :negative:

I am now very careful with free to play games. It is one thing to spend many hours on a good game, but it is another thing to let yourself become addicted to games that are designed to that end (even though they can be good).

When you are in your twenties, how you spend 6000 hours spread throughout a few years will have a significative impact on your life. Young lurker, don't make the same mistake!

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Measured on Steam:

1. Crusader Kings 2: 902.8 hours, probably far more in reality. I had it pirated for a while.
2. Euro Truck Simulator 2: 480.4 hours.
3. Mount & Blade Warband: 396.2 hours, but again, many more hours before I bought it legitimately.
4. American Truck Simulator: 237.6 hours.

Unmeasured:

1. Football Manager 2007. Played that for like a decade after it came out. My guess is the number of hours must be over a thousand.
2. Morrowind. Could be my overall number 1 or 2 actually. Hard to say for sure now. Assuming quadruple digits too.
3. Civ IV. Actually, the time I spent playing Earth 18 Civs could be a category of its own.
4. Europa Engine Paradox games back in the late 2000s/early 2010s: HoI2 Armageddon, EU2 (later For the Glory with AGCEEP), CK1. Nowadays I don't play them much anymore, but collectively they must run into thousands of hours.
5. Pokémon Red on emulator and Yellow and Gold on GBC back when I was like 12. Must have been a massive time sink as well, but hard to estimate now.

Other games that I used to play the shit out of back in the day, and/or repeatedly kept coming back to: Jagged Alliance 2, SimCity 3000, GTA San Andreas (and 3 and Vice City to a lesser extent), Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Anno 1602, FreeSpace 1 and 2, Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations, Star Wars KOTOR 1 and 2, Sid Meier's Pirates, Tropico 1 and 3, Heroes of Might and Magic II, III and IV, Final Fantasy I-VII. Here it gets a bit murky, and very hard to put a number on it. But these are all games I've replayed multiple times (or kept playing repeatedly, as some of them are more open-ended/sandbox), so each of them must be in the lower range of triple digits of hours.

Just thinking about the numbers, and the love for repetition shown by them in combination with the type of games, I'm glad I never got into MMOs. I seem to have the personality to get addicted to them, but it never happened.

Renfri

Cipher
1. Lord of the Rings Online is easily the top one, combination of being younger with lots of time, living with parents and being stupid helped alot.

Other titles I can think of but far behind would be World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and Albion Online. These days I can't see myself starting MMO seriously again, just too much time investment.

Non-MMOs: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (so many hotseat games with brothers and friends back in the day), Path of Exile, Total War series (reason I got Steam account in the first place), CS:GO and Fallout New Vegas.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't think I could say for sure, but I think it'd be a fair bet for me it was Starcraft:Broodwar. The custom maps in that game ate up my afternoons on a daily basis for multiple years I'm pretty sure. Must have been thousands of hours. I still think about it now and then, how many awesome maps (basically games in their own right with all the editing/scripting/trigger magic people figured out over the years) are just lost to time. I became insanely good at MTG: Arena Magus in particular, to the point it felt like I had a sixth sense of what other people were going to do before they did it. Lots of cool rpg style maps, including the precursors for dota, Aeon of Strife and the WW2 variation of it I can't recall the name of. There was a cool map called heaven vs hell something or other where you had a fairly normal building/tech tree in a massive base with nigh limitless resources, with the gimmick that you could sacrifice units in batches and combinations to summon super powerful units instead. There was a cool open world rpg too where you could start your own settlement, find people to change your class (unit type) and learn spells. Some stuff was just fun and weird, like the one where you go on a rampage in a grocery store, changing into different units by finding improvised weapons in the aisles like broken bottles or barbecue lighters. Golem Wars was cool too. The merchant rpg map where 4 players were heroes and 3 players were 'merchants' offering henchmen to help the heroes and bartering with them for minerals only the heroes could get by killing things. Some stuff got decent successors in WC3 but a lot of it didn't, and SC2 has been a pretty major decline in custom map quality overall, aside from some chinese stuff that isn't translated properly.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Football Manager: Counting all iterations, ~3000 hours total. Time adds up when I was playing basically every day in highschool and in uni.

Counterstrike: Have ~2600 hours in CS:GO/CS2 alone, which is nothing compared to the guys i play with and the fact I've been playing it since 2014. No way to know my hours in Counterstrike franchise as a whole but it's probably well over 5000 hours combining 1.6/Source/GO

911 Jumper

Educated
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X
Probably about 100 hours each. Haven't gone above that for any game since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom