Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you want to happen in 2009, but know it won't?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
It's good for a computer game, but put it in a book or TV or film and its fanfiction-quality, every bit as much as Dresden Files.

Really depends on what the adaptation is. The synopsis isn't half bad, with, what, a newly formed vampire being forced to work as a pi for a self-appointed ruler of several local clans of vampires, uncovering a sinister plot + interesting lore along the way. I've certainly seen worse set-ups made into genious works.

Annie Carlson said:
in which case I'm going to grab a horde of knives, find whoever will be responsible for it, and stab in them places that haven't even been INVENTED yet.

You'd invent new parts of the body just for the occasion? That certainly shows commitment.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Annie Carlson said:
Also I admit my own butt-hurt-ness because the quoted statement inherently assumes game writing is by nature inferior to TV or film writing. You're saying Epic Movie or Two-and-a-Half Men are - by virtue of their medium - better writing than Fallout 2? That's a stabbin' offense.

Yes, that's the impression I got, too. I wonder if Azrael would like to defend Legend of the Seeker or the movie adaptation of Eragon as having better writing than... well, than anything.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I never heard of Dresden Files until tonight, but reading the comments I'm afraid to look it up. I still shudder when I think that my ex tried to make me read Twilight and watch the movie with her.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
I looked up Dresden Files on TVTropes because of this thread.

Gard, an honest-to-god Valkyrie with a capital V, flying a Huey helicopter into battle while blasting Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from externally-mounted speakers.

Harry necromantically animates Sue the T-Rex, the one from the actual museum in Chicago, to serve as his steed as he rides into battle against an army of necromancers and zombies

If that's the usual kind of scenario in it, it's either the best or the worst book series ever written.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:

Gard, an honest-to-god Valkyrie with a capital V, flying a Huey helicopter into battle while blasting Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries from externally-mounted speakers.

Harry necromantically animates Sue the T-Rex, the one from the actual museum in Chicago, to serve as his steed as he rides into battle against an army of necromancers and zombies

If that's the usual kind of scenario in it, it's either the best or the worst book series ever written.
It ain't got shit on SnowFlame.

Iago42

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:

I'll admit I read it (and/or the entire series), and I must say it's a little bit of both.

It is better writing than Twilight and Harry Potter, but so is my cat randomly typing on the keys while suffering a seizure.

The setting WOULD make a fucking epic game, but it's definitely not good literature.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Crispy said:
Annie, you're cool and we love you and all, but how come you keep saying everything's "rad"?

That's so... 80's.

:?:

Sorry. I blame Josh Sawyer's influence. Before I met the man, the last time I said that word, I think I was in elementary school. Be glad I've called nothing "bodacious" yet, because Christ that would make me seem such the tool. Sawyer can get away with a lot of shit that I simply cannot, and that's a credit to the man.

...I have to admit I'm a little interested in the Dresden Files, but it really seems like pulp sorta stuff. Good for a snack, but not a full meal. Which I suppose might actually make a really good setting, now that I think about it - the books I've liked the most usually have the least meat on them for a big open-world sort of setting (one of the exceptions being Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series, which is the shit). Although I have to admit I would MUCH rather see a new and compelling setting unlike the usual fantasy or sci-fi tropes than an adaptation - but that's always a long shot. Alas.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that something has to be either REAL HIGHBROW LITERASHURE or fanfiction-quality dreck.

Try to wrap your head around the fact that I don't care how you classify Dresden Files. I love the series, it holds pride of place on my bookshelf and I buy each novel as they are released. Oh the sweet, sweet agony between each release. :(

Help me understand, here. See, Twatlight/Dresden Files etc are fanfiction-quality dreck that I think isn't even entertaining to read

Ah, a plea for help, my charitable heart can't resist. Ok, here, let me help you, you go wrong here :

"I think isn't even entertaining to read : they're just bad, dull, and embarrassing"

A) I don't care what you think.
B) I find them highly entertaining to read.
C) I value my opinion vastly more than yours. It's like 100% vs 0%

Do you see now?

"X is a pile of tripe/of fanfiction quality" isn't literary criticism unless you went to a genuinely terrible school.

No, but you can always tell the pretentious types by how they are unable to enjoy popular entertainment, or allow any comment by another person saying they enjoy such to pass without a scornful comment. I'm betting I could register a new account, post a similar comment in a random thread and Lezzie would be there in less than 5 minutes if he wasn't sleeping. :lol:

When you're talking about transferring a SETTING, I think you need to look beyond "oy vey, Author X can't write dialogue to save his fucking life" to "ok, is there anything compelling in this setting that someone who'd never heard of it before would give a flying shit about?"

Err, no, to be clear I want it all to come across, as best as possible. I wasn't just implying the setting. I like Butcher's writing. If anyone has a beef with that, see my comment to Lezzie about 100% vs 0%.

I never heard of Dresden Files until tonight, but reading the comments I'm afraid to look it up.

Do yourself a favor and don't let the pretentious lit kids decide your opinions for you, read one and see for yourself. Me, I think it's 7 degrees of magnitude better than Twilight, I writhed in pain during Twilight the movie and I love the DF books.

Those scenarios do happen, but try to understand how a single line summary of the dramatic climax of a book may not quite reflect how it comes across in a full length novel. There are many great plot points in a variety of novels which would sound ridiculous summarized into 2 lines and posted without context.

...I have to admit I'm a little interested in the Dresden Files, but it really seems like pulp sorta stuff.

It is pulp. Fun, entertaining pulp. Some of the most entertaining I've read. I've always found the idea that a novel "should" be deeper in order to be considered great to be highly pretentious (not saying you have that attitude Annie, just in general). If it's great fun and greatly entertaining, I consider it great.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Understood, and no insult meant. I mean - like, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials shoots for "deep" stuff in addition to being a really kickass story, but sheeeeeeit, most of my reading ISN'T that kind of stuff. I rather like stuff that's just out there to be enjoyed instead of enjoyment taking a back seat to depth. I love Jonathan Lethem and the depth in his stories, but the one time I read his books back-to-back I found myself just sort of glazing over here and there. I need variety - a palate cleanser, or whatever. Like bouts of Katamari or something inbetween long RPGs or some such, so it is with books. Nothing wrong with the lighter fare.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
Do you see now?

I see why you're so defensive, yeah. No wonder the slightest hint of negative opinion drives you into such a froth. More smileys, please. That'll show me.

No, but you can always tell the pretentious types by how they are unable to enjoy popular entertainment, or allow any comment by another person saying they enjoy such to pass without a scornful comment. I'm betting I could register a new account, post a similar comment in a random thread and Lezzie would be there in less than 5 minutes if he wasn't sleeping. :lol:

You're trying too hard. So, since you can't enjoy Twatlight--it makes you writhe in pain, even--you must be a pretentious lit type, right? Welcome to the club, brother. Your beret and latte are in that corner.

(Not that I'm even familiar with the stereotype, which makes that whole "what kind of latte do you drink?" attempt at offense pretty funny. Is the stereotype from the US, that home of mass cultural retardery?)

Annie Carlson said:
Understood, and no insult meant. I mean - like, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials shoots for "deep" stuff in addition to being a really kickass story, but sheeeeeeit, most of my reading ISN'T that kind of stuff. I rather like stuff that's just out there to be enjoyed instead of enjoyment taking a back seat to depth. I love Jonathan Lethem and the depth in his stories, but the one time I read his books back-to-back I found myself just sort of glazing over here and there. I need variety - a palate cleanser, or whatever. Like bouts of Katamari or something inbetween long RPGs or some such, so it is with books. Nothing wrong with the lighter fare.

What strikes me as odd, though, is that like precious darling Ninja here, a lot of people seem to have this dichotomy in their heads. It's either-or. If you want "deep" stuff, then you must be a lit snob and you mustn't be able to enjoy anything "not literary" ever. If you like light stuff, why then, any time someone says what you don't like sucks, it's an attack fueled by lit-crit bile. Oh no, it's not because Twatlight is terribly written or ludicrous: the critic is just a snob who can't enjoy anything. I've seen it in Harry Potter, Twatlight, Eragon and chicklit/paranormal romance fans. As someone who enjoys Pratchett and Scott Lynch--both excellent, but light reading--and some of the sort-of heavier authors, this puzzles me.

Btw, Annie, do you... have any inkling about Sabetha? I have this abiding dread that she'll be a feisty redhead that will turn Locke's and everyone else's brains into pink mush. Republic of Thieves could be very good, or it could confirm my fear that the series really, really does not need romance.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I see why you're so defensive, yeah. No wonder the slightest hint of negative opinion drives you into such a froth. More smileys, please. That'll show me.

This is such a tiresome, transparent game your type likes to play.

Step 1 : Wait for someone to make a positive comment about some popular media. Writing especially.
Step 2 : Leap forward quickly to heap scorn on said comment/popular media.
Step 3 : In response to the inevitable counter, spend the next X comments going "geez guy, don't get defensive over a little criticism" and playing the scornful superiority thing to the hilt.

This is about the 7th time I've seen you pull this maneuver and it hasn't gotten any less transparent. At the very least I would have thought you'd have had time to come up with some snappy comments, put a little bit of zing and wit and personality into it, but that appears to be the best you can do.

You're trying too hard.

One should always give 100% to any endeavor one chooses to undertake.

So, since you can't enjoy Twatlight--it makes you writhe in pain, even--you must be a pretentious lit type

Lol, nice try. I was writhing in pain while I took my girlfriend to watch it but I have no problem with the fact that she liked it. Hell, she wants to read the novel.

The pretentiousness isn't about whether you liked the writing or not Lezzie. It's about this need you have to always be rubbing how shit you think these books are in people's faces, probably for the ego-stroking sense of superiority it gives you.

Like I said, it's amusing to watch how quickly and reliably you come running to any appropriate thread. Like clockwork. Keep soldiering on champ.

(Not that I'm even familiar with the stereotype, which makes that whole "what kind of latte do you drink?" attempt at offense pretty funny. Is the stereotype from the US, that home of mass cultural retardery?)

I wasn't aware that mockery was less funny when it flew over the target's head. Thanks for informing me, I will keep that in mind and instead just use terms like "fucktard" and "butthurt" in the future.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
This is about the 7th time I've seen you pull this maneuver and it hasn't gotten any less transparent. At the very least I would have thought you'd have had time to come up with some snappy comments, put a little bit of zing and wit and personality into it, but that appears to be the best you can do.

Wow, you keep track; are you that aggravated or that indignant? Sorry there's no zing or wit or personality--this is all the effort I can be bothered to put into something like this. Invading threads and turning them into bookfag discussions, I mean, but if it makes you feel more smug or whatever to attribute some sort of ego-stroking to it, feel free. Most of this exchange has been you congratulating yourself on how very witty you are, after all.

I wasn't aware that mockery was less funny when it flew over the target's head. Thanks for informing me, I will keep that in mind and instead just use terms like "fucktard" and "butthurt" in the future.

No, it's more that it was lame and about as scathing as "your mom dresses you funny." You might as well have been calling me a creationist or something--it's that kind of random and misaimed.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I just noticed that my post count isn't far behind NN's despite my join date being much later. Weird, I could've sworn I don't post that often.

Also, if it's not an issue to which you take exception, I doubt you'd notice it, Naked Ninja. Most people probably don't care one way or another.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Now I'm interested. What is snowflame? Can't find a thing about it in google.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Also, if it's not an issue to which you take exception, I doubt you'd notice it.

Fairly amusing the way you're still trying to prove your opinion has offended me. That is what you are after, right? You want me to feel hurt by your scorn so you can feel smug that you've put another pleb in their place.

Sorry Lezzie, no feelings hurt. And yes, I am perceptive enough to notice how your posts follow the exact same pattern every time, regardless of feelings. Amazing, I know. It's like I have super powers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Trash said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Now I'm interested. What is snowflame? Can't find a thing about it in google.
He was a supervillain who appeared in a single issue in the 90's. He was powered by cocaine and had the most absurdly brilliant dialogue evar. The only one on his level is The Admonisher.

"I am Snowflame! Every cell of my being burns with white-hot ecstasy! Cocaine is my GOD! And I am the human instrument of its will!"

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
Sorry Lezzie, no feelings hurt. And yes, I am perceptive enough to notice how your posts follow the exact same pattern every time, regardless of feelings. Amazing, I know. It's like I have super powers.

What, like your screaming temper tantrums in piracy threads?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:
And yes, I am perceptive enough to notice how your posts follow the exact same pattern every time, regardless of feelings. Amazing, I know. It's like I have super powers.
CLEVELAND MARK NINJA!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom