Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do You Pay for New Games?

For the game you want the most in one year. Including expansions DLC, not Soundtrack + other crap.

• £20

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • £40

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • £60

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • £80

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • £100+

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm a Jewish pirate

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Softgels

Scholar
Depends, Stellar Blade makes woke weirdos on Twitter lose their minds is enough for me to spend $70 on it, unfortunately it's PS5 exclusive

Softgels

Scholar
Stellar Blade makes woke weirdos on Twitter lose their minds
How?

GKA4sFKWoAAMDYO

You can go here to see more :-D

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/gamergate-the-sjw-in-gaming-dumping-ground.90469/page-3387

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not counting DLC, the most I've paid for a "new" game is about $28. It's rare for something actually good to cost more, since AAA experiences these days tend to be "fine" at best, and A & AA games I'm interested in don't reach that high a price point off-sale. I suppose I would pay more in some cases, but I already have so many games to play that it's not something I'll yet do.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Never more than 20 bucks.
Ajusted from inflation
20 bucks in 1990, today is the equivalent of 48.42$ (38,51£ for brits)
Which then converted to the superior currency - the Euro - is the equivalent of 44,96€
Yeah that's about right

I am unwilling to pay more than 50€ for a single game no matter how good it is
Though for DLC I am willing to make an exception if it's an expansion - something big enough that it could be it's own game - in those cases I am willing to go up to 20€, maybe 25€ if I'm really interested and no more
Still I rarely buy games above 25€

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll never understand Brits and continental Europeans who use their local currency when asking international online communities questions about money. I have no idea how much 20 pounds is. At least Americans are justified with their currency being the biggest in the world.

I put the conversion rate in there in dollars - about $115 -$125 for each game. I think X4 was the cheaper one.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've just never felt comfortable paying for Steam keys off sites like this. It may be a completely irrational fear, but any game like Dragon's Dogma 2 that can potentially take hundreds of hours of time to sink into even potentially having a risk of its license fucking up on me or the integrity of its save games going wonky because of an illegitimate key scares the bejeezus out of me.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I've just never felt comfortable paying for Steam keys off sites like this. It may be a completely irrational fear, but any game like Dragon's Dogma 2 that can potentially take hundreds of hours of time to sink into even potentially having a risk of its license fucking up on me or the integrity of its save games going wonky because of an illegitimate key scares the bejeezus out of me.
What the hell would a key do to cause your save games to be wonky? a key is a key and steam doesn't care where you get it from. We've even seen legit keys be taken off customers through steam. "This official key seller was selling keys we didn't give them permission for so we're taking the games off customers" has actually happened several times. You're no more or less safe no matter where you buy.

DemonKing

Arcane
I picked 40 quid (rough equivalent of about $80 Australian). If I'm really anticipating the game, I trust the developer based on their recent track record and/or they release a decent demo I might go that high. Saying that, very often I can get games cheaper than that either by using a key seller or buying disc editions of console games manipulating store trade in systems.

Humanophage

Arcane
I usually don't pay more than 12 GBP / 15 USD for a game. I guess I could theoretically spend up to 25 USD, but I try not to buy freshly released games as they usually need some time to remove the bugs. I used to buy games a lot more prior to the invasion of Ukraine as you could buy them for cheap using Rubles on Steam. Now I mostly play my backlog.

I usually just wait and get games on sales. Especially for the last, like, seven or so years when Best Buy runs sales on their games around Christmas time. They might start on Black Friday and just go through December. Although last year it seemed like they were doing sales like before; so stuff was marked down, but in previous years you could get new stuff like half off. I get them on sale, it they last me until the next big sale. Wal-Mart does some good sales too sometimes, the only problem with them is that for the last ten years they’ve basically stopped carrying all but the biggest titles anymore because some fucking moron over there got the bright idea that people don’t want to buy that kind of stuff in stores anymore...which just creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where people won’t buy games in stores anymore because you have less and less options.

Best Buy had some really great sales too. Years ago, I think the year it came out, I got SteamWorld Dig 2 for like five bucks. It’s 2024 now and the digital version still cost more than the physical copy I got of that game; more than three times more. It was so cheap I just bought it without really even knowing all that much about it. If little games like that just cost five dollars I’d be buying them all day long when I came across them at the store.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Paying full price cannot be justified in this economy + most modern games being absolute shite.
Agreed. Not to mention that most indie projects are leaps and bounds better than what the AAA studios are cranking out and cheaper even without being on sale. Some examples would be that Starfield is $60 while Spacebourne 2 is $20 full price. Diablo IV is $70 while Grim Dawn with all the expansion packs is $55, Last Epoch is $40 full price. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III is $70, Trepang2 is $25 full price.

Indie games also tend to go on sale more often and are part of bundles more often as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom