Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Deus Ex mods do you recommend?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the game a few times. What mods do you recommend? They must not be broken.

SoupNazi

The only mod worth installing for Deus Ex is Shifter because it opens up a few new gameplay possibilities. The graphic fixes perhaps but in my opinion the new textures and some of the new objects look terribly out of place.

SoupNazi

If I remember correctly I first noticed it in the brief level just before Hong Kong when the helicopter is grounded. The walls were too HD compared to the floor. I then couldn't help but notice the same level of disproportionality in more locations. The castle where you fight Gunther also comes up when I think about it. Eventually I stopped noticing it but I just didn't feel that the overall impact on the game was positive.

Destroid

Arcane
That's why I decided not to go with the graphics updates - if they don't do EVERY texture, it's going to look really odd.

J1M

Arcane
I liked the Cassandra Project, even though it is just a proof of concept and roughly the size of a game demo. Sadly it was never finished. The premise is something along the lines of secret history where the more clues you uncover in a level, the more layers of untruth you unravel.

Hotel Carone was pretty cool. It reminds me of the liberty island level except you have to infiltrate a hotel that is taken over by terrorists instead of a statue. Solid level with consequences for triggering alarms and multiple approaches to problems.

ZODIAC is the most extensive mod that I finished. You take on the role of JC's brother Paul. It is a Deus Ex prequel. It was quite well done.

I enjoyed the challenge of Rising Sun, but I never finished it because I switched computers and new things came out before I went back to it. This one is worth a look if you've completed the other 3 I mentioned.

Destroid

Arcane
You know, I wondered why they didn't cover Paul in Human Revolution, he is the logical protagonist of a prequel.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SoupNazi said:
If I remember correctly I first noticed it in the brief level just before Hong Kong when the helicopter is grounded. The walls were too HD compared to the floor. I then couldn't help but notice the same level of disproportionality in more locations. The castle where you fight Gunther also comes up when I think about it. Eventually I stopped noticing it but I just didn't feel that the overall impact on the game was positive.

OK fair enough. It doesn't bother me personally (same with the new hi-res textures for System Shock 2 also share that same problem, as not ALL of the textures are finished in that as well).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The Nameless Mod, anyone?

The setting/story is too meta and frustrating for me to really get into it (still baffled at the whole concept even after finishing it, never got used to it, but it's not that bad I'm just anal about it), and the last levels are way too over the top and impossible for stealth (I think I cheated my way through). But in terms of gameplay, it pretty much out-Deus Ex Deus Ex. Yeah

mpxd

Liturgist
Been meaning to try TNM.

Also, the Malkavian mod.

Jaz

Educated
redsun 2020 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/redsun-2020

a surprisingly long, very ambitious story mod. unfinished ending, some minor annoyances here and there, but it feels like good old deus ex (loved the wan chai market themed level).

zodiac - http://www.moddb.com/mods/zodiac

very interesting storyline and great level design. better than redsun if you're a storyfag.

burden of 80 proof - http://www.moddb.com/mods/burden-of-80-proof

not much of deus ex left in that one, plays more like an adventure game but incorporates some great ideas and amusing dialogue.

cassandra project - http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-cassandra-project

another ambitious attempt at capturing the very sooouuul of deus ex but never got finished due to the sheer size of the project. demo is still noteworthy though. a glimpse of what might have been..

http://project2027.com

i'm getting all wet just thinking about this one.

waywardOne

Arcane
Serious_Business said:

The setting/story is too meta and frustrating for me to really get into it (still baffled at the whole concept even after finishing it, never got used to it, but it's not that bad I'm just anal about it), and the last levels are way too over the top and impossible for stealth (I think I cheated my way through). But in terms of gameplay, it pretty much out-Deus Ex Deus Ex. Yeah

i didn't think i had much of the storyfag in me until i played TNM. despite combat, exploration, and c&c better than dx, the story was so fucking horrible i couldn't complete it. it's essentially based on entire forum full of RPG faggots and all their inside jokes and memes and...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The two mods Jeasun wrote a guide for. Shifter adds but doesn't go into feature overload and the graphical mods just make some things look a little better. Not too stellar but face it, Deus Ex is old and you're not going to play it for teh amazing graphics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I used the texture mod and it worked out fine. For game-play alteration Shifter is pretty much the only viable option.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Serious_Business said:

Going to second this. I enjoyed this as well.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Yo Jaesun faggot, I just remembered I had some problems when installing the mods a few weeks ago.

None of the OpenGL renderers worked for me; I'd just get a scrambled mess using them. I then found a good DirectX 10 renderer and everything worked. BUT the lighting is completely fucked up in game and there's this weird purple light that appears in a radius around me.

HALP

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the DX10 section of the .ini, set classicLighting (something like that) to true. You can also do this if you type "preferences" in the console.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks Rohit_N. My guide is a tad outdated Reject_666_6. Sadly there have been a bunch of changes and new renderers. I just have not had the time to update it yet.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've had some good results with ENBseries and the texture mod, but that's mainly because I like to fiddle with such things. I mostly prefer the enbseries because you improve a lot the contrast of colors creating actual darkness in some places, making the nights more realistic and forcing you to use the light augmentation much more. As for the new textures are very faithful to the old ones and they don't look too weird.

Now, for total conversions/story mods, apart from TNM (which is an incredible mod despite certain shortcomings) I've heard good things about Zodiac.

FAKE EDIT : Just saw this and it's something I really wanted : http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced

DX-Revision also seems to have released a new demo version : http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DX-Revision also seems to have released a new demo version
I hated this already in Liberty Island, where the maker added two NSF troops in the same room as the commander, expecting you to fight them first. Except I ran past them, talked the commander into surrendering, and suddenly have them die. Before, it was easy to believe that UNATCO troops were cut loose while you were reaching the commander - here it just breaks the immersion and reminds you that the level is just scripted to kill every NSF troop after that conversation.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried shifter mod, then tried biomod, an "improvement" over shifter. Desu Ex dumb AI who are incapable of jumping, climbing, crawling through vents, search for me makes this game way too unchallenging.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mighty Mouse said:
Tried shifter mod, then tried biomod, an "improvement" over shifter. Desu Ex dumb AI who are incapable of jumping, climbing, crawling through vents, search for me makes this game way too unchallenging.

Yeah, the Shifter dude is planning on doing a better AI mod someday. He did tweak some of the AI and NPC's so far, but nothing substantial yet.

Also of note, I have fianlly Updated my Deus Ex Modding Guide. There now is a new renderer (For Direct X 10). So If you happen to have Windows 7 (and have a card that can run Direct X 10), you can follow my guide and play Deus Ex again to your hearts content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom