Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What crpg has the best exploration aspect?

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Morrowind is beyond all or most competition.
You seriously underestimate the combined power of autism and excessive free time.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I find that i enjoy exploration more in first person rpg's, like Skyrim, New Vegas and Morrowind, than on isometric ones. The environments in first person look more immersive and you just want to go to interesting places you see on the horizon, while in isometric rpg's the field of view is very small and you will never see much more than a few meters around your party.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Gothic 1 and 2 were great and all, but too much walking back and forth through the same routes.

DraQ

Arcane
I find that i enjoy exploration more in first person rpg's, like Skyrim, New Vegas and Morrowind, than on isometric ones. The environments in first person look more immersive and you just want to go to interesting places you see on the horizon, while in isometric rpg's the field of view is very small and you will never see much more than a few meters around your party.
Well, like you said, you can see stuff from quite far away in first person, so exploration is more involved - you see something and try to decide if it's interesting and reachable and if so how.

You can also hide objects in first person without making them outright invisible - try to have something hidden under the bed or stuck to the ceiling, or hidden among similar but worthless objects in iso game, without it quickly becoming "wave your cursor to find hotspots" minigame.

Finally, in first person you can fuck around with player's sense of direction simply by removing compass and minimap - the simplest variant would be spin tiles and teleporters in old crawlers - (if magic or weird physics is involved you can even be a real asshole about it and fuck around with actual space), sometimes even without that if you use z-axis a lot. Meanwhile, in iso player's view *is* the map, so you can't play this sort of games.

Last edited:

Turok

Erudite

I found exactly the contrary, with those games i feel playing a shooter with fake rpg elements, i don't like it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New vegas. And all The elder scrolls main games.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i will say that Skyrim is my favourite in that aspect. Probably it is the smaller of all these games i mentioned, but it is which likes me more in some aspects.

Don't kill me pls.

But the OP is asking about cRPG, so i will say Fallout 1 and 2 :troll:.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i will say that Skyrim is my favourite in that aspect. Probably it is the smaller of all these games i mentioned, but it is which likes me more in some aspects.

Don't kill me pls.

I'm willing to not kill you if you explain what makes Skyrim better than Morrowind on pure exploration terms.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Don't kill me pls.

I'm willing to not kill you if you explain what makes Skyrim better than Morrowind on pure exploration terms.

I never said that :M

Just i prefer the world of Skyrim which looks more hand-crafted than other Bethesda worlds for me. Empty alien world with giant mushrooms and Pterodactylus it's not my devotion.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

In a thread about exploration you said "Skyrim is my favorite in that aspect." Not sure how else you expected people to take that.

Just i prefer the world of Skyrim which looks more hand-crafted than other Bethesda worlds for me. Empty alien world with giant mushrooms and Pterodactylus it's not my devotion.

Skyrim is more hand-crafted than Morrowind? Morrowind is empty? WTF?

dryan

Arcane

In a thread about exploration you said "Skyrim is my favorite in that aspect." Not sure how else you expected people to take that.

WTF indeed.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Summoner (world map demands careful exploration if you want to get/finish some quests (and main storyline too))
Gothic is pretty good (didn't play the second game, but as far as I've heard it's way better)
Wizardry (the first one)
Akalabeth (yeah, I know)

And... these might not really be the proper candidates, but still good to mention.

Mordor: Depths of Dejenol
Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan
Daggerfall

Oh, almost forgot...
Megami Ibunroku Persona
:troll:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

When in a forum i said "Skyrim is my favourite in that aspect " i expect people taking it as "He said that Skyrim is his favourite in that aspect" not "Skyrim is better than Morrowind in terms of exploration". Not so difficult.

TripJack

Hedonist
4 pages and no Arcanum? who are you imposters and what have you done with my codexian brothers?

Visperas

Augur
Now, another interesting question would be: How do you make interesting exploration in isometric or top down view?

Visperas

Augur
Now, another interesting question would be: How do you make interesting exploration in isometric or top down view?
If you make maps with explicit borders like in IE or any amount of terrain that is small enough to be combed exhaustively you lose.

If you don't you probably lose too, but at least you may try.

I guess that if you closed maps, you need to make some of the treasures, locations, NPC and so on not completely explicit and force the player to use his own intelligence and the PC skills in a smart way to uncover them. The problem in that case is still how to initiate that discovery. Pixel hunting sucks so we're left with the highlighted interactive spots. Maybe a way to deal with that would to take a note from old adventure games were you need to figure out wich particular action and object works but with some kind of limit to avoid the try-every-single-combination-possible gameplay. What you think?

Rpgsaurus Rex

DraQ Exploring is about going places on the spur of the moment, not knowing what comes next and finding cool hidden things while you're at it. I don't see how it's down to perspective at all other than it being just, like, your opinion, man.

Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan

"What if M&M6 were structured like a Wizardry dungeon?" - the Game. Good times. Red-eyed, sleep-deprived times. If only it didn't turn to adventure-game-on-acid kind of suck with the post-game! (alternatively: pretend post-game doesn't exist, make up a 'final true ending' in your head, everyone's happy, good night).

SwiftCrack

Arcane
One more thing regarding BG1 exploration:
This is a perfect example of when keeping it real goes too far.

Do (did) you have any sense of exploration and imagination at all?

There is a reason I listed it as first play-through.
You asked me about sense of exploration and imagination (and I have answered, but would like to underline something) - the bottom line is that imagination can't fully supplant content and/or mechanics.
That's LARPing. It's the point where you start playing a game in your head that's completely dissociated from whatever happens on the screen - you might as well be playing notepad.exe .
It's the point where, if you insist you're still playing the game in question, you should probably be put out of your misery because that's the most humane solution.

The problem with BG is that it's mechanics doesn't facilitate exploration in more meaningful sense than you could explore in Glorg.
If I insist that exploration in Glorg (as well as the whole Glorg - at least taken at face value, not that you'd want to play it even facetiously) just plain sucks is it because I lack imagination or is it because it actually does suck?

I don't really understand. The very first time I played BG1 (I was young, though), it gave me an amazing sense of exploration and freedom because I could go anywhere I wanted to (within the limits of the game, so I couldn't go to the city of Baldur's Gate yet and I got my ass handed by a basilisk for a very long time at one of the southern maps) and everywhere I crawled there was something waiting for me. Was it another adventuring party that started to badmouth me, an ogre wanting to be left alone lest he'd make his dinner or a stone statue at a carnival begging to be turned back to flesh. That was exploration for me, just walking around these maps and finding things to interact with.

Now I can see where you are coming from with the engine. Granted, that engine can indeed makes it feel robotic. I mean I definitely tried to augment the gameworld by roleplaying a little bit as far as my imagination allowed me, but I felt genuinely like I was playing a roleplaying/adventuring game with a good sense of exploration the very first time around simply because the world was well constructed, the maps were thought out, and there was something to do on every map.

Every playthrough after the first one (aka I know what will happen, let's skip this shit)? It was boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom