Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your favorite portrait artstyles?

Which one of these do you like?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Realistic - Believable: portraits attempt to be realistic, but also look like they fit into the setting instead of looking like people from a Rennaisance fair.

Age of Decadence is a fantastic example: characters look straight out of a movie, realistic but with good expressions that make them feel part of the world.

ss_0025165ac7a34ba9adc7cdce6cdd7493cb33601e.jpg

Realistic - LARP: portraits attempt to be realistic, but the characters look like people in costumes (LARPing).

Might & Magic VI is a prime example.
CiOxeWB.png

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are examples of Realistic - LARP, with a dose of stylization. Characters have very accentuated expressions so get a good idea of what kind of people they are, typical of LARPers.
good%2Bportraits.jpg

Realistic - Stylized: portraits attempt to be realistic, but they have a lot of stylization going on that separates them from hard reality.

The Icewind Dale series uses a lot of stylized realism. Characters look like they fit into the world, but the portraits aren't exactly "photographic".
1173617150fullres.jpg

Arcanum also does this: the stylization is meant for the portraits to look like actual portraits from the era.
latest

Tides of Numanuma is another good example: the realism is there, but the characters look like paintings.
Portrait_LCO_Male_2.png

Cartoonish: self-explanatory. Characters look like western cartoons.

Here, Dungeons of Dredmore.
1-1024_3117.jpg

Japanese: characters look like they come from manga and anime.

Chrono Trigger's artstyle was designed by Akira Toriyama, creator of the Dragon Ball franchise.
3-CT-2901.png

Final Fantasy Tactics also has anime-inspired art.
30336-final-fantasy-tactics-playstation-screenshot-on-your-first.gif

3D renders: here the defined traits is that characters don't have pictures as portraits, but are 3D rendered.

MMDestroyer1b.jpg

695400-planescape-torment-windows-screenshot-this-inventory-screen.png

Pixel art: usually the older RPGs have pixel art due to technical limitations of the time, but some games still make use of it, usually poorly because the developers have no skill.

7D4F2F5ED1293A7BDC7BA2E4E659E5A97C47565E

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Don't put MM photographs along with BG heavily repainted ones into the same category. CHange it.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't really care for those categories. Arcanum and IWD are fantastic examples of portraits that look good in and of themselves, and fit seamlessly into the setting and the rest of the art style (which is something they also achieve, not coincidentally, with their UIs).

The M&M stuff was always massively uncanny valley for me & looked horribly B-grade, but I know some people like them? The 3D renders are typically the worst, because even the highest quality million polygon piece usually can't compare.

Cross

Arcane
There is quite a shift in portrait art style going from BG1 to BG2 (for the worse), so grouping them together doesn't really work for me.

One thing that I miss is animated portraits. They used to be quite common (Lands of Lore, Might and Magic, Planescape: Torment, etc.), but they've been virtually non-existent in RPG's since the 90's/early 2000's.

main_small.jpg

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Context is more important than anything else. When the portraits fit seamlessly into the rest of the game's art style, it's good. Of course if I hate the game's whole style, that's another thing.

Tangential to art style, I like it when portraits are animated, e.g. Jagged Alliance/Wizardry 8; or have different versions for different states, e.g. Might and Magic's poisoned, insane etc. portraits. When a portrait is just a painting that never moves or does anything, it may look pretty but come on now, disappointing. Might and Magic X was very guilty of this, Wasteland 2 was a letdown, etc. Why take backward steps?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think this is very important for me to mention because the Codex isn't brimming with smart people (as one would expect). I'm not asking "which one do you like most: Blade Runner or Forrest Gump?". I'm asking "which genre do you like most: sci-fi or comedy?".

The games listed here are just representatives of the categories I made up. My intention is that you vote on the categories you like, not the specific examples I posted to illustrate these categories. Hope that clears it up.

My personal preference is:

1. Realistic - Stylized: Icewind Dale, Arcanum, love that kind of portraits. Tides of Numenera simply had shit artists.
2. Japanese: only in Japanese games, else it stands out like an eyesore.
3. Pixel Art: as long as you don't have indie artists, this style can look great.
4. Realistic - Believable: feels tacky to have these in a game that doesn't look particularly AMAZING.

These all look like shit: Cartoonish, Realistic - LARP (thank God for PaintBG, gives stylized portraits to the Baldur's Gate cast so I don't have to watch their LARPer portraits), 3D Renders.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I still can't tell what was going through Numenera team's mind when settling on portrait art style and designs, but at some point side cut was deemed vital.

2s1ty74.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like JRPG portraits that change expressions, because they're cheap but effective at adding life to the dialogue and game screen and abstract graphics; it is also why I like portraits in M&M, Wizardry 8 and Planescape. There's something cheeky about your characters winking at you from game screen like they're other players with you on an adventure.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like JRPG portraits that change expressions, because they're cheap but effective at adding life to the dialogue and game screen and abstract graphics; it is also why I like portraits in M&M, Wizardry 8 and Planescape. There's something cheeky about your characters winking at you from game screen like they're other players with you on an adventure.

It's a wonder what couple of frames can do. I think Front Mission games always stood out for me in that department.

rc1vzq.png

Shame I couldn't find any GIFs.

Elex

Arbiter
Realistic - Believable: portraits attempt to be realistic, but also look like they fit into the setting instead of looking like people from a Rennaisance fair.

Age of Decadence is a fantastic example: characters look straight out of a movie, realistic but with good expressions that make them feel part of the world.

ss_0025165ac7a34ba9adc7cdce6cdd7493cb33601e.jpg

Realistic - LARP: portraits attempt to be realistic, but the characters look like people in costumes (LARPing).

Might & Magic VI is a prime example.
CiOxeWB.png

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are examples of Realistic - LARP, with a dose of stylization. Characters have very accentuated expressions so get a good idea of what kind of people they are, typical of LARPers.
good%2Bportraits.jpg

Realistic - Stylized: portraits attempt to be realistic, but they have a lot of stylization going on that separates them from hard reality.

The Icewind Dale series uses a lot of stylized realism. Characters look like they fit into the world, but the portraits aren't exactly "photographic".
1173617150fullres.jpg

Arcanum also does this: the stylization is meant for the portraits to look like actual portraits from the era.
latest

Tides of Numanuma is another good example: the realism is there, but the characters look like paintings.
Portrait_LCO_Male_2.png

Cartoonish: self-explanatory. Characters look like western cartoons.

Here, Dungeons of Dredmore.
1-1024_3117.jpg

Japanese: characters look like they come from manga and anime.

Chrono Trigger's artstyle was designed by Akira Toriyama, creator of the Dragon Ball franchise.
3-CT-2901.png

3D renders: here the defined traits is that characters don't have pictures as portraits, but are 3D rendered.

MMDestroyer1b.jpg

695400-planescape-torment-windows-screenshot-this-inventory-screen.png

Pixel art: usually the older RPGs have pixel art due to technical limitations of the time, but some games still make use of it, usually poorly because the developers have no skill.

7D4F2F5ED1293A7BDC7BA2E4E659E5A97C47565E
the one with a chubby elf.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Shame you usually have to look in every nook and cranny to find Japanese artists of note who draw anything other than most generic anime style out there. That Tactics Ogre PSP remake didn't even fuck up updating the art style, for example.

28h09d2.jpg

Morkar Left

Completely depends on the styöe of the rest of the game... But I ususally like rpgs which lean to "realistic" gameplay.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still can't tell what was going through Numenera team's mind when settling on portrait art style and designs, but at some point side cut was deemed vital.

2s1ty74.jpg

Second from the left was actually quite cute shame that game went so far into SJW that no prettty womny nor white PCs were allowed. As to portraits goes I like them realistic but stylized so they fit game well; like those from AOD or Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom