Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some good turn-based strategy games?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I recently finished replaying Jagged Alliance 2, and it's given me an urge to play some more tbs games. The ones I already own though have been played to death. So, any of you know of some good ones? If it's an RPG with turn-based strategy list it too.

Turn-based games I own:
X-Com 1-2
Jagged Alliance 1-2
Disciples 1-2
Laser Squad
The Battle for Wesnoth
Silent Storm
Steel Panthers 1-3
Age of Wonders
Battle Isle
Master of Orion
Panzer Strike
Overrun!

NiM82

Prophet
Armageddon Empires is worth a shot, it's a hybrid wargame/cardgame.

M.A.X. (Mechanised Assault eXploration) is a great classic, it's kinda like a turn based Total Annihilation but with more depth.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
NiM82 said:
M.A.X. (Mechanised Assault eXploration) is a great classic, it's kinda like a turn based Total Annihilation but with more depth.
Sounds interesting, I really enjoyed TA. Is it a DOS game? Shouldn't be too hard to find a download for it if it is.

NiM82

Prophet
Fat Dragon said:
NiM82 said:
Sounds interesting, I really enjoyed TA. Is it a DOS game? Shouldn't be too hard to find a download for it if it is.

Dos/Win95, more info here. Can probably find a torrent somewhere or Abandonia has a neutured version.

Destroid

Arcane
Its not turn based but hearts of iron 2 is good fun. Civ4 is also good, as is Master of Orion 2.

Mareus

Magister
Do not miss INCUBATION. I really had some fun with that one. Since I see you have played Age of Wonders, I wonder if you tried Heroes of Might and Magic 1,2,3,4. Although I presume you probably just forgot to mention them. But if you haven't played them, give it a go and I promise you that you won't be dissapointed.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Mareus said:
Do not miss INCUBATION. I really had some fun with that one.
Never heard of it; please tell me it's supported by DOS. I absolutely hate trying to get old games to work on XP. Regardless, I'll look up some details about it in a little bit.

Master of Magic
I'll check this one out as well. I really enjoyed Master of Orion.

Mareus

Magister
Fat Dragon said:
Mareus said:
Do not miss INCUBATION. I really had some fun with that one.
Never heard of it; please tell me it's supported by DOS. I absolutely hate trying to get old games to work on XP. Regardless, I'll look up some details about it in a little bit.

Master of Magic
I'll check this one out as well. I really enjoyed Master of Orion.

I played it a long time ago and I don't remember if it was in DOS or in Windows. But I do remember it was a 3D game, so I suppose you can run it in XP.

Disconnected

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
If you like SpaceHulk'esque squad based tactics, Incubation is probably the best there is. Certainly the best I've ever heard of. It's a Win9x game & a bit of a bitch to get to run & look right under WinXP, but it can be done. It's one of the very few games I re-play every couple of years, so I've managed a few times.

Speaking of TBS games though, Incubation is part 3 of a series of very different TBS games set in the same universe. I've never seen the 2 previous instalments, but I have the 4th as well, and though it's nowhere near as good as Incubation, it's worth a look if you'd like to try what a straight up RTS is like if it's turn based. As an added bonus, that one does run under XP. I'd tell you the name too, but I can't remember right now & I'm too damn lazy to go look for the CDs. Oh and, be sure you don't miss the expansion to Incubation. It's better than the original missions.

Korgan

Arbiter
Battle for Wesnoth. Free and oldskool. I don't like some of the gameplay mechanics though, but that's just me. Also, Fantasy Wars is fun, basically a great-looking remake of Fantasy General.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
You'll not likely be disappointed in anything by HPS Simulations. A bit more in-depth wargaming... not everyone's cup of tea, but lots of fun.

Also, Defender of the Crown and Sword of Aragon come very highly recommended. I've only dabbled with each, but you can check some reviews on MobyGames for more detail.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Don't forget Warhammer 40k: Rites of War. Same design, same developer, ten times as fun imo.
Hay thar! That looks interesting. Something for those lazy summer days.

ecliptic

Liturgist
When I try playing HoMM, I just end up quitting and playing MoM instead..

Mareus

Magister
ecliptic said:
When I try playing HoMM, I just end up quitting and playing MoM instead..

Ah, Masters of Magic. A true masterpiece. I forgot about that gem and I would double recommend it. It is a combination of Heores of Might and Magic and Civilization. Really a masterpiece with incredible replayability. Do give it a try and don't forget to use DosBox.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Master of Magic, again.
Also, Fantasy General, is like a better Panzer General. With fantasy shit. But great.

Your list has some good picks, I'd add Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic though.

And skip Laser Squad, unless for historical purposes.

Kraken

Scholar
I can give a thumb up for Incubation also, but I haven't been able to make it run on XP. It's part 3 in the Battle Isle series, which I see you have listed. It's a squad based game though, so it differs from the other games in that series.

quasimodo

Augur
I'm pretty fond of Chaos Gate by Random Games. It plays fine in Win9X, but not in XP.

I've got to give Incubation another play through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom