Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What a surprise, dumb people like Command and Conquerer!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
"The phrase 'Total Annihilation' doesn't show up in the title to Supreme Commander, therefore it can't possibly be in the same series!," especially when the guy who runs GPG has already stated that he intends Supreme Commander to be a successor to TA, remind me again who is the sophisticate and who is the simpleton?
The creators of Fallout soad it was a sucessor to Wasteland, so it must be part of the same series, right? RIGHT?

I guess all roguelikes are part of the same series, too, seing how they all share the same core mechanics. Oh wait, they're not, they're all part of the same genre, a concept you can't seem to grasp.

Let's put it another way: There's a bunch of fantasy novels that completely rip off Tolkien's style, writing, plot, everything. So you would say that generic fantasy novel X is part of the LotR series? NO.

CoD 2 is the sequel to Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault! Oh my, it's all so clear now!
First of all, I disagree, but even by that argument Dune 2 is part of the C&C franchise and BioShock is part of the System Shock series.
NO THEY'RE NOT. They are different brands! They have different creators, owners, copyrights, publishers EVERYTHING.

You're confusing "series" with "genre". By your definition, System Shock is the sequel to Ultima Underworld! Same engine, same basic gameplay, only difference is a few differences! Wow, it's all so clear now! And Deus Ex is the sequel to System Shock! They're all part of the "first person sneaker" series! Oh wait, no, that's a motherfucking genre.
Or are you just trying to emulate the Codex Hive Mind, with typically dismal results, as has always been the case with TC?
Btw, what the fuck is up with you and the "Codex Hivemind?"

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You're confusing "series" with "genre".
I'm not. You keep insisting that I just can't grasp this concept, it's kinda like watching an ESF poster talk about what a hardcore roleplayer they are.

CoD 2 is the sequel to CoD. CoD is part of the MoH/CoD series of games. I never said that they were sequels. I said series, every single time. The word sequel doesn't even show up on the first page of this thread once.

The creators of Fallout soad it was a sucessor to Wasteland, so it must be part of the same series, right? RIGHT?
No. Can you not tell the difference between Fallout and Wasteland compared to Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander? All it takes is a little bit of common sense. I want to ask again, have you played both Dune 2 and C&C?

Bioshock is almost directly based off of the System Shock games. From what I can tell from the magazine previews, they've kept all of the mechanics and conventions of the System Shock games from being stat-based to having bits of currency to items which let you upgrade yourself.

By your definition, System Shock is the sequel to Ultima Underworld
No, not by my definition, by your straw man. Lots of games share engines and it isn't a critical part of continuity and not really worth noting so if it makes you feel better forget what I said about MoH and CoD having similar engines.

I think you do understand my argument better than you are pretending to.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Btw, what the fuck is up with you and the "Codex Hivemind?"
You guys have been trying so very hard to emulate the atmosphere or idiom or whatever of the Codex at TC. You try too hard. Instead of being witty you come off as PMSing Fanboys of a very narrow section of strategy games and you are endlessly defensive of what you seem to consider the 1337 way to regard strategy gaming. While I can understand why Fallout is a good game and Dungeon Siege is not, I guess I'm not hardk0re enough to see the same for Total War vs. Starcraft. Just because a game is mainstream doesn't mean it sucks, and that's exactly how you come across.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Answer me this: Are Quake and Unreal the same series? What about roguelikes? You conviently forget to adress that.
CoD 2 is the sequel to CoD. CoD is part of the MoH/CoD series of games.
No, they're not. They're part of the WW2 FPS SERIES AKA GENRE. THEY'RE SHOOTERS THAT SHARE COMMON ELEMENTS, THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM PART OF THE SAME SERIES.
Bioshock is almost directly based off of the System Shock games. From what I can tell from the magazine previews, they've kept all of the mechanics and conventions of the System Shock games from being stat-based to having bits of currency to items which let you upgrade yourself.
Yes, that's what a spiritual sucessor is. When someone can't get access to the original series they make a game like it in order to emulate it without copyright infrigement. DOESN'T MAKE IT THE SAME SERIES, DOES IT?
No, not by my definition, by your straw man. Lots of games share engines and it isn't a critical part of continuity and not really worth noting so if it makes you feel better forget what I said about MoH and CoD having similar engines.
FLIP

FLOP
You guys have been trying so very hard to emulate the atmosphere or idiom or whatever of the Codex at TC. You try too hard. Instead of being witty you come off as PMSing Fanboys of a very narrow section of strategy games and you are endlessly defensive of what you seem to consider the 1337 way to regard strategy gaming.
I'd guess you rather us just cover Korean starcraft tournaments and just copy and paste BluesNews posts, right? I happen to like a wide spectrum of strategy games, YES EVEN RTS OMG. We don't just cover bad/stupid games, we cover a lot of cool-looking games (GalCiv 2, UFO: ET, Frontline Nation) too.

LlamaGod

Cipher
dont you have some useless posts where you paste an anus on an oblivion screenshot to post, kingcomrade?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Quake and Unreal are obviously not in the same series, nor are roguelikes. I didn't "conveniently" forget to do anything, those "points" weren't worth responding to because they don't anything to do with my assertions.

WW2 FPS SERIES AKA GENRE
CoD and MoH are part of the same family or series of games. WW2 FPS shooters are a genre, yes. But CoD and MoH are more closely related than that. I'm not saying all WW2 FPSes are part of this series and you know it, stop pretending I am.

How are those two quotes flip flopping? I wasn't being anal nor hardkore, not being needlessly defensive to buff my 1337 street rep. I'm pointing out that games don't have to be direct sequels with the names of the previous games in their titles to be part of the same series.

Yes, that's what a spiritual sucessor is. When someone can't get access to the original series
What do you mean by this? Access to the original series? You mean the name? He can't get access to the name, Lunch. How does that preclude it at all from being in the same series? <--this is the important question for you to answer. Forget about the rest of this post if it will prevent you from coming up with an answer for that.

LlamaGod, it's not my fault you put the TC forums on the Codex where any random anus-paster can access it. As for useless posts, you're one to talk.

Jason

chasing a bee
Why wasn't Dune 2 in the C & C First Decade bundle?

Why wasn't CoD in the MoH bundle?

Why wasn't MoH in the CoD bundle?

Maybe these companies don't consider these games to be in the same series.

And Lenny could destroy Squiggy in 12 seconds flat. Believe it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The only thing that BioShock and System Shock share is gameplay. BioShock is in 1960 and underwater.

System Shock 2 and Thief 2 use the same engine TEHYR TEH SAME

LlamaGod, it's not my fault you put the TC forums on the Codex where any random anus-paster can access it. As for useless posts, you're one to talk.

You have a join date a year after mine and have consderiably more posts. Shut up.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Here's an example that might make more sense, will Fallout 3 (as the common Codex consensus of Oblivion with Guns) be part of the Fallout series of games? By my reasoning, no.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
baby arm said:
Why wasn't Dune 2 in the C & C First Decade bundle?

Why wasn't CoD in the MoH bundle?

Why wasn't MoH in the CoD bundle?

Maybe these companies don't consider these games to be in the same series.
And? Who cares what they "consider"? Those were business decisions and those games are not sequels to each other. But they are part of the same series of games.

The only thing that BioShock and System Shock share is gameplay.
Gee, he's getting warmer. It's not only gameplay, of course, but that's a big chunk of it. Setting doesn't matter. Warcraft 2 was fantasy, Starcraft was in space, they're part of the same series.

LlamaGod

Cipher
you keep talking but all i'm reading is 'blahblahblah I suck cocks blahblah'

anyone else getting this?

Jason

chasing a bee
I pm'ed Saint and your admin powers are on the way.

"those games are not sequels to each other. But they are part of the same series of games"
Those games are not sequels because they are not part of the same series. If they were the same series, they would be sequels. Geneforge and Avernum were made by the same person using the same engine etc, but they are 2 different series, according to the creator and everyone who played those games.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kingcomrade said:
I was asking Shag because he's been throwing childish little comments at me for like a week
What?

Seriously KC, I doubt I've had the time in the last week to throw all that many comments at anyone. Maybe 9 or 10 posts? All reasonably short.

kingcomrade said:
Shagnak said:
One is the MoH series. One is the CoD series.

Compelling argument, not.
It wasn't an argument. It was rather obviously a reiteration of my position.

The next bit was the start of something that consituted an argument, but then I realised that I didn't have the time in my lunch (half) hour to point out the obvious.

Don't deliberately quote me out of context you spammy shithead.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Aargh
No, I was meaning the next line was a beginning of an argument. That's all I'm referring to. Then I quit after that.

How much time do you have on the fucking internet.
You're so fucking...ubiquitous.

Jason

chasing a bee
Scurvy%20Mate_small.jpg

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kingcomrade said:
Have you played both MoH and CoD? The only real difference between CoD and MoH is a slightly different engine (both are Q3 based), the ability to lean, and iron sights. Otherwise they're both linear WW2 shooters with continuously respawning enemies, squadmates (one game has improved AI), heavy scripting, etc. All of these they have in common because they were both developed by the same studio, which was figuratively upgrading the MoH design docs and giving it a new name.
Are you certain about this?

MoH was developed by 2015, published by EA.

CoD was developed by Infinity Ward, published by Activision. (I think. CoD:UO was Gray Matter?)

When I said "they even share some of the same developers" I was merely referring to the fact that some of the 2015 devs jumped ship to (help?) form the team that developed CoD, whilst the MoH brand continued with EA (and also some of the same devs from the original pool).

If I have the wrong end of the stick that's cool, but I would like some sources.

At the end of the day they are two distinct brands. They do have a lot in common, but not everything, and by everyone's definition (including the developers and publishers) except yours they are therefore two different series. Branding is where it is defined. Anything else is just "a sequel in spirit" or whatever.

This applies to Doom 3 vs Quake 4, C&C vs Dune, and many others.

You can define "same series" as really being...

"Part of the same series (in spirit) if enough things match irrespective of what the developers and publishers market it as."

...if you like; but I suggest that it would make things awfully confusing for most, if the rest of the world were to adopt this definition. Just say "a sequel in spirit", then no-one will frown at you quizzically.

Calis

Pensionado
Well, I think my point on this being a dumb discussion has been thoroughly proven. If anyone want to keep using the "same kind of game by same guy(s)" definition of series rather than having an actual connection in storyline (which, admittedly, can be stretched a little by calling your game "Command & Conquer: Red Alert") then go right ahead. Continuing this semantics-fest is still dumb.

kris

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I'm pointing out that games don't have to be direct sequels with the names of the previous games in their titles to be part of the same series.

I only see you pointing out that you have some special definition on this that doesn't compete with what anyone else have.

Oarfish

Prophet
compelling storylines, exceptional acting

They are fucking kidding right? Even Chris Roberts could do better than C&C's god awful FMV. Shouty bald bloke knitting eyebrows and trying to look evil does not count as decent acting in my book.

Never played a game with compelling FMV acting, it's all embarrassing sub Sci Fi channel shite.

Kilrathi
375814.jpg

Honey monster
wc3-07.gif

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Wow, internet drama FTW D:

Stop acting like thick assholes you all understand what kingcomrade says, he puts it pretty clear. You all have different definition of "series", but in the end who gives a shit if KC considers Dune2 in the C&C series or not, damn it? How much time do you people lose on this kind of useless debate?

Edit - I'm afraid someone will come up with definitions of series from dictionnary.com D:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom