Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40K: DoW+Exps vs GalCiv2+Exps. Which is better and why?

Which is better and why?

• WH40K (counts as KC option).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galactic Civilizations 2 (I'm an eurofag that believes in diplomacy).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

racofer

Thread Incliner
Given WH40K's focus on the only real way to play games (that is, completely annihilating your enemies) and visceral combat, and then comparing it to GalCiv2's pussyfication with things like Diplomacy and Technological victory conditions, which game do you prefer and why?

Me, WH40K for the aforementioned reasons, plus I found GalCiv2 to be a game completely devoid of soul and inspiration. It felt like playing a game in an excel sheet for fucks sake.

galactic-civilizations-ii-dread-lords-20051216035223118.jpg

versus21.jpg

warhammer40000mmo915_screen.jpg

Discuss!!

Turok

Erudite
First time i notice about warhammer was when i play Warhammer Dark Omen, i really like this game, the setting and the lore of the world is rich, i make my research after that about the warhammer and i found that this setting is just awesome for any game (specially rts and rpg). DoW is good, everyone i know love it, but i get pissed with the game getting near to the end of it, i preffer more DoW 2, this kind of game i really love and it make me remember the Dark omen one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I am a eurofag that believes in diplomacy and I managed to play only 1 GalCiv2 skirmish before getting tired of the game.

Therefore I vote for the only true way to play games - WH40K. In fact I'll say that anyone should be better off playing Alpha Centauri than GC2.

crazy_dave

Educated
Yeah, Warhammer rules... I really really tried to like GalCiv, but it was just a waste of time, because the races and the whole universe are plain boring. I also didn't like the supposedly funny comments in the research tree. It ruined my immershun.. :lol:

At least in Warhammer you manly kick some heretic butt... :cool: :lol:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
As a huge fan of TBS 4x and a huge RTS hater...

the answer is clearly DOW.

Galactic civilizations doesn't really seem like a game.

It just had no pay off, compared to how fun it can be to discover a new tech, explore or fight in MOO2 or SMAC.

I guess it was too highly abstracted and simulated at too high a level (in terms of distance from the action), such that everything was just numbers, you didn't get a thrill out of anything.

You build a space station + 1 influence and that's all it will ever do... AWESOME.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Got to agree that GalCiv2 did absolutely nothing me, whereas I played a fair few hours on DoW.

Different games for sure, but GalCiv2 just seemed to be the epitomy of how to suck fun out of 4x while DoW was actually a lot of RTS fun. The half-assed Total War 'strategy' was crap in DoW though. Do it properly or not at all fags.

Maybe if GalCiv actually did something interesting with diplomacy(I.e. make the aliens ALIEN and not just different looking humans with different bonuses) it would be interesting.

As it is, war is the motherfucking anwer.

[Edit]Oh wait, you're counting DoW expansions too? Well in that case no one wins. Expansions fucking ruined that game.

Syvere

Educated
DoW1 is pretty sweet, but DoW2 is even better. I just hope they release expansion packs so we can play with all DoW1 races.

Trithne

Erudite
Try Sword of the Stars for galciv2-scale sweeping across the galaxy, combined with the only real way to win being utter annihilation. Up until the last expansion you couldn't even claim an enemy world without glassing it.

Wulfstand

Prophet
DoW 2 was kinda bad in sp,mainly becouse of the fact that it's campaign had 4-5 types of missions,the game offering very repetitve gameplay.The only nice part about DoW 2 was it's last mission,which was really well done and suitably epic, giving you a really nice epic feeling.

Also my vote goes for DoW 1, which offered me,alongside AoE 2, some of the most memorable skirmishes in terms of epic-scaling and fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't like DoW that much but it was still vastly superior to GalCiv 2 which I really tried to like but... it's just too boring. One of the most bland space 4x games out there. MoO2 is still the best, and even the buggy Space Empires series is more fun than GalCiv2.

Qah

Educated
One's turn based and the other is Real time, so should we even be comparing these games?

Also, DOW2 for the fact that i like shooting first and diplomatically making friends later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom