Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40K Chaos Gate or Should I bother with getting this shit?

MetalCraze

Arcane
seriously.

Virtz

Educated
If you've got a comp with Windows 95/98 installed, then sure. Otherwise, there's some crash-to-desktop in XP when a cultist fires, which no one's been able to fix so far (as far as I know) in any way other than removing cultists from the map using an editor. Not sure if you'd find it worth the hassle.

The game is well worth your time.

If you have any trouble use Virtual PC or whatever it is called.

nikpalj

Novice
Oh, yes, most certainly! I remember adoring this game back in the ninetees, the soundtrack is specially memorable.

If you like squad based tactical combat of fallout games or jagged alliance 2 + (obviously) Warhammer 40k, you simply have to play through this little rough diamond!

"*Fall* before the Chapter, Chaos traitors!!!" :)

Oh, and here's this: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-DlxqWk0dHs

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It definitely isn't like Panzer General at all. More like X-Com bit without everything that made X-Com so good, and then some (less).

Jasede said:
It definitely isn't like Panzer General at all. More like X-Com bit without everything that made X-Com so good, and then some (less).

If you are refering to the Strategic layer of gameplay, you are right - But Chaos Gate is good at what it does (just tactical combat) and has the "you are cut-off" thing giving you more than enough depth if you like playing without constant try-and-reload.

Dangersaurus

Novice
Also, when I say it plays "great," I mean it plays about as well as it ever did under 95/98 - crashes fairly often when running mission scripts, hangs for up to five minutes occasionally on load or exit, doesn't remember some option settings from session to session, has buggy vehicle implementation and sometimes forgets that it's *anybody's* turn, so you're stuck with the GUI but no action points. So you should save early and often, even if you're not into save scumming.

Despite all of that, it's a fun game. I remember the multiplayer being a blast too, but it's been quite a while since I've tried that side of the game.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Could any kind soul make a tutorial for installing and running stuff with VirtualPC? I'm afraid I'm too much of an archaic person (ehem) to handle all these series of tubes.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Virtz said:
If you've got a comp with Windows 95/98 installed, then sure. Otherwise, there's some crash-to-desktop in XP when a cultist fires, which no one's been able to fix so far (as far as I know) in any way other than removing cultists from the map using an editor. Not sure if you'd find it worth the hassle.

Arise ! Old thread.

Sorry to run necromantic, but I'm replaying Chaos Gate (because it happens to be one of my favorite turn-based squad games of all times) and I encountered the infamous "cultist pistol bug" that crashes the game when you use Windows XP.
Searching a solution on the net brought me here among other places, but no solution was provided. Even editing the cultists out would not be a real solution since some cultists are triggered by events that can't be edited out.

Could the Codex fail at providing a solution for this crucial problem ? No.

Would I play that damn good game under XP ? Hell yeah !

So here's the trick. Just uncheck the "compatibility mode" for the WH40K.exe. Worked like a charm for me and cultists can now fire their laser pistols alright.

skavenhorde

Novice
I got this running about a year ago and ran into that pistol bug too. They only way I was able to fix it was by loading Virtualpc and running Win98 in it. It works great under VirtualPC. It got rid of the all the crashes. I also got Final Liberation: Warhammer Epic 40k to run in Virtual PC. In XP Final Liberation would work but you couldn't see any of the movies. In VPC the movies run and the game works perfectly.

If the game runs too slow in VPC all you have to do is allocate more ram in the settings and then it runs fine.

Link to Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I don't know if you read my post 'till the end. Because I was providing a simple solution for the Chaos Gate/Windows XP bug. In case somebody else encountered it. But thanks just the same.

And if you had already tried the method I indicated and still could not play the game without using VPC, then I apologize.

skavenhorde

Novice
Lonely Vazdru said:
And if you had already tried the method I indicated and still could not play the game without using VPC, then I apologize.

No problem, was just trying to help. I didn't read your last sentence, just assumed you needed help.

I did do the uncheck and just about everything else immaginable to get this game running about a year ago, but it never worked. The only thing that worked was VPC.

Anyways, have fun killing those damn blue horrors :)

quasimodo

Augur
I really like this tactical squad game. I have never gotten it to work in XP by messing with the compatibility settings, and Virtual PC was way too slow. (I didn't know about changing the RAM). I keep a Win98 box around just so I can play the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Psycroptic said:
Okay. It's Warhammer: Rites of War I'm thinking of.

Indeed

and it was better than Panzer General imo, even though it didn't have Nazis (but Space Marines aren't really different anyway)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom