Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We're upgrading our monitors to LCD widescreen!

hal900x

Augur
That's what my buddy informed me about his IT department today. Result: free 22" true-flat Diamondtron CRT for me. Recent-gen, too, with integrated USB hub even. Laughed all the way home. For me to get this, one of his coworkers had to insist on having it replaced with a digital panel.

Multi-headed Cow

My monitor wasn't free. It was a $30 17" LCD, they sold it instead of throwing it away. Damn you.

hal900x

Augur
The backstory is that about a month ago, this same friend neglected to mention he was getting rid of his own 22" CRT, and ended up putting it the driveway for a "gratis" sign on it, where it was promptly carted away by the friendly neighborhood migrants. I never forgave him for that. Until now, of course.

So vivid.

hal900x

Augur
Well, so much for my posts on running games on the plasma HDTV. Jagged Alliance shows detail now that I never even noticed before. I don't think I'll be seeing the outside world for a while.

Destroid

Arcane
Must be nice to see crisp animation again, especially in older games that have a lot of scrolling or platformers with high contrast shots going across the screen.

relootz

Scholar
Good luck with that obselete CRT which i disposed of 1.5 years ago for a MVA 24 inch TFT.

I so loved how the CRT got little letters blurred, that was so great for reading websites.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well, I would keep it. If it's a really expensive one you might even be able to sell it, in a couple if years, when it has some collectors value.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Good luck with that obselete CRT which i disposed of 1.5 years ago for a MVA 24 inch TFT.

I so loved how the CRT got little letters blurred, that was so great for reading websites.

My CRT was shit, so all are shit.

relootz

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:

Yep one of those shitty 22 inch diamondtron CRT's. Fail over fail FeelTheRads.

CRT get that sharpness problem and its very noticable in comparison to TFT's.

Turok

Erudite
hal900x said:
The backstory is that about a month ago, this same friend neglected to mention he was getting rid of his own 22" CRT, and ended up putting it the driveway for a "gratis" sign on it, where it was promptly carted away by the friendly neighborhood migrants. I never forgave him for that. Until now, of course.

So vivid.

Stop using spanish words here, i am the only one allowed to do that.

I got a 19 inch widescreen, before that was a 17 inch CRT, and since that i live on heaven, playing risen right now (thankz god steam).

hal900x

Augur
relootz said:
FeelTheRads said:

You fail to grasp the advantages of using a CRT to play games that are designed (and often forced) to lower resolutions and/or a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Most TFT's have weak scaler chips that make a 640480 game look quite inferior when blown up to the native resolution, usually 1920x1080. Do you even understand the fact that CRT's have no native res? Do you play old games?

Edit: And honestly, Mitusbishi is shitty? They are one of the best tube and panel mftrs in the business. This thing is extremely high-end. Every possible correction plus an excellent dot pitch for a 22". I think you are talking out of your ass.

relootz

Scholar
hal900x said:
relootz said:
FeelTheRads said:

You fail to grasp the advantages of using a CRT to play games that are designed (and often forced) to lower resolutions and/or a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Most TFT's have weak scaler chips that make a 640480 game look quite inferior when blown up to the native resolution, usually 1920x1080. Do you even understand the fact that CRT's have no native res? Do you play old games?

Edit: And honestly, Mitusbishi is shitty? They are one of the best tube and panel mftrs in the business. This thing is extremely high-end. Every possible correction plus an excellent dot pitch for a 22". I think you are talking out of your ass.

I know that CRT's are a lot better because scaling on TFT's sucks (i use gfxcard scaling fixed aspect and it is fine up to 1024), but i just cannot use the CRT for dialy use because when i surf it doesnt get anywhere near the sharpness on small letters on websites and that is very annoying. Yes i would rather play old games that use lowres like 640*480 on my CRT but i cba to switch around all the time.

I have a HP 1230 manufactered in november 2007.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
LCDs are horrible to my eyes. I can only use CRTs. When CRTs are gone, I am considering killing myself.

Slenkar said:
I got 2 CRT's on craigslist for 5 bucks

I think you are confusing CRTs with STDs.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I agree that CRTs have their advantages. When I got my first LCD I was horrified with black levels (there are none). But I got used to it and can never go back to the flicker of a CRT.

One point about LCDs though..the consumer level TN panels in the 22inch and many of the new 24 inch panels were pretty crap when I bought my 24 inch MVA. I hope things have improved (the colour shift, blurry everything) because it seems TN is still the dominant panel. Manufacturers just won't move away from it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I agree colors on TN panels are shit. I got myself one with e-IPS, it's pretty good, and it wasn't expensive. I think if you want a really good LCD you should never just walk into a store and buy one. You have to check the web until you get the one screen that gets really outstanding reviews, it can take forever but it really pays off.

Another thing is that the scaling on this screen is also pretty good. I play JA2 in 1024x768 stretched, and it looks nice. This was quite a surprise since I am quite picky about sharpness.

racofer

Thread Incliner
hal900x said:
Dmitron said:
...and can never go back to the flicker of a CRT.

I don't have any. This thing runs at 200Khz. At 80-90, I swore it was still there and it always bugged me. Now it's gone.
Wow 200Khz? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom