Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird gaming habits

2. I am extremely aware of how hot my CPU and GPU are running when I am playing any game. I use a program called SidebarDiagnostics as a hardware monitor on my second monitor, and I'll tweak the graphics settings down, lower the resolution and play in windowed, whatever I have to do to get the temperatures down to the point where I'm not worrying about it. This is because I did have a laptop that ran too hot and the components were damaged, making it unusable. If a game will not stop using resources when it is minimized from full screen, I will often give up on trying to play it (unless it is really good). This is one of the things I really like about older CRPGS, that they are almost always much less demanding on my hardware.

Damn, I have the same paranoia. When playing games on Linux Mint laptop, I always look at CPU usage meter that comes with IceWM and refuse to play anything that makes green lines red. I stopped playing many games just because of that (e.g. Netstorm, BG2, Gothic, Sacrifice). Hell, once I've found that simplistic, no-plugin pSX emulator running through WINE is so efficient that has sometimes even lower CPU usage than FCEUX (NES) or ZSNES I just cannot use moar advanced PS1 emulators like ePSXE anymore.

HansDampf

Arcane
Screenshots. I've been taking screenshots of almost every game I play, at least on PC, since 2012/2013. I don't know why. Sometimes I don't even look at them after I'm done with the game. But I still save them all in a dedicated folder which is now 15 GB in size.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I don't play crap games

Which means alot of the time when I see people discussing new rpg's or other new titles I have no idea what they're talking about

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I sometimes have a "pleasure delay" mindset where I wait to play games I know I'll love because once I do the anticipation is gone.

I try to have one game per genre installed and finish them before installing another, but I constantly fail at this and have dozens of things installed. I think this is pretty common.

Related to the above, I'll often get a little tired of a game midway through and switch to something else. I do usually come back and finish the original game though, which is good. I don't have a ton of half-finished games on my record.

I tend to resist using a gamepad even for games that really play best with one. I'm just too used to KBM. Eventually I might relent on something like Assassin's Creed, but only after trying for hours not to.

If I'm clearly too underpowered to beat something I often just save constantly and ram into the problem like some kind of autistic cat until I make it through sheer luck. Also can't minmax for shit and will pickpocket and/or knock out anyone in sight. If I'm playing an RTS I'll almost never use an army until the end-game and just kinda turtle away, spending valuable resources on upgrades while everyone else nuts on my empire.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
At the start of every new RPG I obsess over how did the devs implement "endless possibilities" concept. I'm pretty sure it's due to trust issues.

Only upon completion, learned of all the boundaries, do I relax and have a tantric second playthrough, if the game is actually good.

Very few games of late have convinced me to relax on the first playtrough.

XJW

Literate
I feel as if I have to play the "precursors" to any game I actually feel like playing (not everytime I play, just the first run). So I won't let myself play Deus Ex until I've played System Shock, Thief and Strife. I played Unreal for the first time recently, but only after completing Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake and Duke 3D. For some reason I started doing this in January with FPSes and now I can't stop. :(

I have often started an RPG, and for whatever reason, quit early or mid-way through. A few weeks/months later, I will restart the game from the beginning, and the process repeats. Eventually this creates a pattern where I've played the beginning of a game half a dozen times and it's just unbearable for me to get through it, even though I really want to finish the damn game!
I also do this.

XJW

Literate
Also, I always make the same jack-of-all trades character in RPGs. So I've beaten Fallout like 3 times with the same speech-small guns-first aid character, which is especially dumb in a game designed to be played through in various ways. By the same token I always end up picking the same choices in C&C heavy RPGs no matter how many times I play them.

Generic-Giant-Spider

In RPGs I hoard every consumable and end up never using it and having it clutter the shit out of my inventory but I swear to myself that "there will be a time I need it."

From growing up with really middle-of-the-road PCs and sometimes shitty ones I have the instinctual reaction to turn shadows off every time I play a new game even though my graphics card today can easily run it.

And now the one that will have everybody ignore my worth as a living being...

I play male elves because when the LotR movies were all the rage I'd get physical comparisons to Legolas. I swear to God I'm not gay and I know how to change a tire.

Crash

Literate
Having a mild OCD, I oft recheck game settings page for some 3-4 times. Even if it is a VERY long list of settings (Civ4, CK2 etc). In singleplayer that's no big deal, but when playing hotseat with friends that's probably one of the parts they don't like when playing with me :D

Similarly it also takes me huge amount of time to set up a game with many mods (ehh, Bethesda products and such), for then I have to install zounds of patches, compatibility patches, have to do tons of testing, takes at least a week to install one Bethesda game in such manner. Frankly I still don't understand why Bethesda never makes games with engine's internal compatching of sorts (automated leveled-list merging, conflict & error checking and whatever else could be automated by game itself, to make mod installing less nerve wrecking and time consuming).

*edit*

Oh, and also I love randomly rolled characters and settings so much that I often use random.org and physical dice to get said thing done in case the game offers no sufficient randomization itself.

Last edited:
I like to squezee 100% of hardware's potential but there is another side of the coin which became a real issue in recent years - I just fukkin' cannot play games on overpowered PC, it feels like wasting hardware.

Modron

Arcane
Every few months I check if there has been an update to L'Aigle and Starsector, there hasn't.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
In RPGs I hoard every consumable and end up never using it and having it clutter the shit out of my inventory but I swear to myself that "there will be a time I need it."
That's really common.
1668559010338.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom