Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Website idea

Rhett Butler

Scholar
A "good reviews" list containing expecially insightful and thorough reviews would be a good way of stopping the site from being wholly negative. We could also highlight reviewers who have consistantly written good stuff. If all we offer is criticism of the industry then we will be ignored.

I think before we start reviewing reviews we ought to come up with a list of standards to rate them by. We will never agree on everything, or have the same understanding of what it all means, but we do need to present some kind of ideological consistancy. :hivemind:

DarkSign

Erudite
Nah I'm not angry. Just think you're pretty funny to sit in judgment. Even you backing up to say "I wanna know if he's someone worth checking out or if I get a feeling that this is a guy that can *become* a really good writer OR if he's just going to be more of the same shit. Call it quality approval or something, I don't give a shit. " which is a weaker version of your earlier statement. Again, why is Kingston stopping everything to prove something to random guy on the internet?

Honestly I get your point. Really I do. Internet teens have a ZOMG! idea that doesn't live up to the promise (assuming it even had any). I've done my time with gamedev and modding forums where this is all too common, so I feel you bro.

Just seemed to be jumping on them a bit too early. :)

Khor1255

Arcane
Good reviews is a good way to balance it out. An alternate take on everything you list (well, not everything always because you will likely agree on really shitty or good reviews) would also be helpful for balance.

I know that sounds a little murky and the overall site should have a theme agreed on by all but well thought out counterpoints are sometimes a very good thing. The trick is not having counterpoints for their own sake but if one or two guys on the site have a serious issue with the main re review it would be helpful for unit cohesion to express this.

Just a thought.

Good reviews of reviews is definately a good idea.

And I think a general consensus of what gamers want in various genres would also be an entertaining and helpful segment of the site.

Maybe even a mod review?

Sounds like a cool idea.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I'm not so sure I like having a special section just for counterpoints. I think that sort of thing would be best handled in the staff forum before a review is even posted, and any dissent from non staffers could be handled in the comments thread. Staffers arguing in public about the validity of critcisms would not be good for our credibility, and as the main purpose of the site is to question the credibility of others then we really need to keep our own house in order and present a united front, as there will be plenty of folk gunning for us.

I like the idea of recognising good work, as that would keep game reviewers from ignoring us totally, and consumers might take our criticisms more seriously if they knew we were capable of giving compliments where deserved, even to someone we have previously trashed. We could give awards for the best and worst review of the year maybe, and having a database of reliable reviews would be handy, but we don't want to stray too far from the anger that spawned this idea. The industry is sick and needs to be taken to task, but not in such a way as to make us look like nothing more than malcontents.

PS: I use "us" a lot, but I doubt I would be willing to be on staff, more likely just a member if there end up being forums. I'm usually busy. Not now, but usually.

Tintin

Arbiter
Just some advice, perhaps wait until you have found a dedicated group of people willing to put effort into this before trying to work out all the details? Not much point in organizing the whole thing if there's no one to actually write content and such. I doubt Kingston wants to do all that himself.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DarkSign said:
Nah I'm not angry. Just think you're pretty funny to sit in judgment. Even you backing up to say "I wanna know if he's someone worth checking out or if I get a feeling that this is a guy that can *become* a really good writer OR if he's just going to be more of the same shit. Call it quality approval or something, I don't give a shit. " which is a weaker version of your earlier statement. Again, why is Kingston stopping everything to prove something to random guy on the internet?

Honestly I get your point. Really I do. Internet teens have a ZOMG! idea that doesn't live up to the promise (assuming it even had any). I've done my time with gamedev and modding forums where this is all too common, so I feel you bro.

Just seemed to be jumping on them a bit too early. :)
Eh, I was being a dick and that's all there is to it.

Sleeping it off does wonders for my attitude towards things and I apologize for my rude behaviour, Kingston. I truly do. I was being a ridiculous little shit. Consider my once proud and erect cockyness completely flaccid and swinging in the wind, but, hey, at least it's only temporary.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
Eh, I was being a dick and that's all there is to it.

Sleeping it off does wonders for my attitude towards things and I apologize for my rude behaviour, Kingston. I truly do. I was being a ridiculous little shit. Consider my once proud and erect cockyness completely flaccid and swinging in the wind, but, hey, at least it's only temporary.

You know, you're probably not getting the staff position no matter how far you try to stick your tounge up Kingston's manly, hairy ass.

:D

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ivy Mike said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I like pink ponies.

You know, you're probably not getting the staff position no matter how far you try to stick your tounge up Kingston's manly, hairy ass.

:D
I know for a fact that Kingston shaves his ass EVERY DAY! And what makes you think I wanna be on the staff?

Also it's "tongue", not fucking "tounge".

Rhett Butler

Scholar
So with Xor working on the site I would think the thing to do would be to start contacting people we want to be writers. Vault Dweller is an obvious choice, he can write pretty well, knows his shit about the industry and is full of piss and vinegar. He is pretty busy with Age of Decadence and the Iron Tower forums but we could probably get the odd content piece from him, or at least get permission to repost relevent articles by him.

Naked Ninja also knows how to write, I follow his Blog of War pretty religiously and it's good. I'm sure he is very busy too with Scars of War and his blog, but given how frequently he updates said blog he might have time to write the odd article for us.

Brother None knows his shit and writes well. He's not the best choice IMO because he reviews games professionally. I'm not saying this would make him biased, just that his bosses at Gamebanshee might be pissed at him if he joined us. He could use a psuedonym though.

Section8 would of course be perfect, but he is MIA.

I don't know of Kharn but Kingston mentioned him.

I seriously think we should try to get Rosh. It would be epic.

Anyone else?

If we could get even one of these people committed it would make it easier to find other writers, and we would get a lot more members. I will contact them if you guys want, but I'm not exactly buddies with any of them. It might be better if people who know them (and intend to be staff members) send the invites.

DaveO

Erudite
I was tempted to write a mini sarcastic review to turn things around, but it looks like everything is getting organized. Best of luck, and I hope it lasts a while.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I hope this does happen. It's a good idea well worthy of the tremendous amount of work it would require. If you get it happening and it's not sub par, my hat's off to you.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Rhett Butler said:
Staffers arguing in public about the validity of critcisms would not be good for our credibility
If you're trying to set up a "professional" site like that, give up now. Your staffers are going to disagree, have better things to do than provide their opinion on every article before it gets posted and not do things they say they will ("I'll read that this weekend", "I'll write the review for Game X", "Just give me a day...") and even if they do read them, you'll be posting articles few and far between by the time you get feedback.

You'll also have one or two people primarily responsible for your content. The rest won't bother because they'll expect those one or two to handle it and they were at Uni that week, had something else, sorry I wasn't able to get around to that, I'm too busy.

Rhett Butler said:
PS: I use "us" a lot, but I doubt I would be willing to be on staff, more likely just a member if there end up being forums. I'm usually busy. Not now, but usually.
Case in point. Oh and unless you really hit something magical, you'll have to run your website for a few years before you get a critical mass of visitors. After which the decline sets in. :)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't visited the Codex in a week or so, but I'm still willing to manage the technical side of the website.

If we're going to do this, we'll need to organize. Appoint a leader (I'm not volunteering), appoint staff and editors, create a mission statement, create content guidelines, articles, etc, and go from there. Currently, there are a lot of ideas being tossed around, but ideas alone aren't going to get this website off the ground.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
DarkUnderlord said:
If you're trying to set up a "professional" site like that, give up now. Your staffers are going to disagree, have better things to do than provide their opinion on every article before it gets posted and not do things they say they will ("I'll read that this weekend", "I'll write the review for Game X", "Just give me a day...") and even if they do read them, you'll be posting articles few and far between by the time you get feedback.)

Tru dat. It also seems like a lot of people like the idea but few are willing to take the jump/risk to make it happen. Not that I can blame them.

For content creators, I can't really see why VD or Naked Ninja would come on board. They're busy enough as it is. If there were a special month where the treatment of indies was the topic then it'd make sense to ask them to write articles.

BN would be great to have on board because of his experience. But again, he's already NMA, doing Gamebanshee stuff + a possible real life.

Can't hurt to ask, though.

I haven't visited the Codex in a week or so, but I'm still willing to manage the technical side of the website.

Great! :salute:

If we're going to do this, we'll need to organize. Appoint a leader (I'm not volunteering), appoint staff and editors, create a mission statement, create content guidelines, articles, etc, and go from there. Currently, there are a lot of ideas being tossed around, but ideas alone aren't going to get this website off the ground.

Well, what's the best approach? Toss ideas, slowly get the mission statement, guidelines and an article made or start off from scratch? I don't know how good a leader I'd be, as I've never run a website.

hypechoppa.org

I don't know why that made me chuckle.

Check this out. IGN has begun a new post-review review column called "Contrarian Corner":

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/933/933 ... Sid=933174

What kind of horseshit is this?

There is no stronger narrative element to introduce in a game than a man trying to save a woman. From Shadow of the Colossus to Super Mario Bros., this has been the Freudian cookie trail that's drawn players through some of the greatest games ever made

Good God. This is ridiculous.

Oh and Messiah's apology accepted, my e-penis grows etc. etc.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Case in point. Oh and unless you really hit something magical, you'll have to run your website for a few years before you get a critical mass of visitors. After which the decline sets in. :)

Alright, I'll make time. I believe this is a good idea, so if this thing gets off the ground count me in. If I'm actually welcome of course.

For content creators, I can't really see why VD or Naked Ninja would come on board. They're busy enough as it is. If there were a special month where the treatment of indies was the topic then it'd make sense to ask them to write articles.

BN would be great to have on board because of his experience. But again, he's already NMA, doing Gamebanshee stuff + a possible real life.

Can't hurt to ask, though.

I don't expect them to go for it either, but having an e-peen on board would really boost our membership (that and these people are all good writers and arguers with extensive industry knowledge). And yeah it really does cost nothing to ask. I was serious when I suggested Rosh btw, what do you think?

I don't know how good a leader I'd be, as I've never run a website.
Well unless we find someone who has run a successful site it's looking like you. You've never stuck me as a dumbass and it was your idea. Just make sure you use a bearded avatar on the new site and you'll be fine. :D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Rhett Butler said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Alright, I'll make time. I believe this is a good idea, so if this thing gets off the ground count me in. If I'm actually welcome of course.
I'll help you guys out too. Here's your first content piece.

reaven

Educated
Very Interesting, I support your idea. I tried to do something similar, but more like a satire of a gaming blog. Got bored quickly, I tend to lost focus on my own projects. But I'll be glad to help.

Now I realize this thread is from 2008.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom