Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We post hilariously bad voice acting ITT

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
With all the money they have, Blizzard has gotten good voice acting done in only a single game they've ever made (SC). The voice acting in WoW, SC2, WC3....they're all so bad. WoW especially has some cringe-worthy voice acting. Since there are no WoW videos on youtube that don't have some sort of awful music added to it I can't give examples which is a shame.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
WoW especially has some cringe-worthy voice acting. Since there are no WoW videos on youtube that don't have some sort of awful music added to it I can't give examples which is a shame.
Does this make you cringe? They recently changed it to this.

Ermm

Erudite
Felix said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbotKa5LnM

Resident Evil is pure gold.

#2 was pure genius

DENNIS.. UARGAAHGHH HELP ME DEENNIS....AARGHH

I at first thought Dennis The Menace.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
hanssolo said:
Ed123 said:
I'm going to assume Silent Hill 2 and Deus Ex are already posted.

edit: They were not.

IN DA FWESH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6Nuf2lq0w

Can't find SH2 compilations, but that teenage chick and the fat dude were the worst.

deus ex makes up for any failings in the VA of peripheral characters by JC having the most awesome voice of any game.

Nope, the best voice is still and always will be Ben from Full Throttle.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
kingcomrade said:
With all the money they have, Blizzard has gotten good voice acting done in only a single game they've ever made (SC). The voice acting in WoW, SC2, WC3....
This, kinda sadly. Oh and Diablo's and Diablo 2's was also very very meh.
Antioch Chronicles, for being a fan-made mod, had some awesome voice acting, all of it by non-professionals.

hanssolo

Educated
asper said:
Nope, the best voice is still and always will be Ben from Full Throttle.

Sir, I yield.

Roy Conrad is sadly dead, which puts a bit of a damper on my vain hopes for a sequel.

Ed123 said:
If by "awesome" you mean "bland as fuck".

:M

His voice is perfect, I challenge you to find a more fitting voice for the role. It's a blank slate, and that is a good thing for Deus Ex. The voice is appropriate regardless of the player's actions.

CrimHead

Scholar
hanssolo said:
Ed123 said:
I'm going to assume Silent Hill 2 and Deus Ex are already posted.

edit: They were not.

IN DA FWESH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6Nuf2lq0w

Can't find SH2 compilations, but that teenage chick and the fat dude were the worst.

deus ex makes up for any failings in the VA of peripheral characters by JC having the most awesome voice of any game.

JC's VA is top notch, but not in any way you'd normally associate with good VA. Nomatter what happens, he always maintains the same level of hilarious pseudo-interest. He's laughably monotone. Somehow though, I think his voice in particular contributes a certain endearing quality to the experience, and truthfully, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Deus Ex is certainly unique, I think, in that it has amazing writing, but really bad voice acting.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Ed123 said:
hanssolo said:
His voice is perfect, I challenge you to find a more fitting voice for the role. It's a blank slate, and that is a good thing for Deus Ex. The voice is appropriate regardless of the player's actions.

It's perfect because it fails to convey even the slightest hint of emotion or motivation? That argument might fly if you were playing a voice-activated cash dispenser, but Denton makes certain decisions based solely on flights of fancy and/or personal conviction (the enforced break from UNATCO, for example, or his relationship with his brother). Angry or threatening dialogue suffers from almost identical delivery as after-action reports to Manderley or reguritated political philosophy. I've heard much better VA for characters who are meant to be amoral killers, aliens, or cyborgs. Denton being a genetically-engineered government agent doesn't excuse anything.

The point was to make him fail to convey the slightest hint of emotion or motivation. You're not a DX fan, get the fuck out of here. JC's voice was supposed to be entirely emotionless so that the player might "fill in the shoes", so to speak. I agree with you however that JC is his own pêrson, so this is problematic - but it was still the original intention to make him "bland" and thus this is how his voice acting was directed. I love his voice tho... JC is a bro, and you are a faggot.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
hanssolo said:
Roy Conrad is sadly dead
WHAT? :cry:
You will be missed, Roy.

Hamill did a fantastic job in Full Throttle too. Completely unrecognizable.

hanssolo said:

oh hahahahahaha oh my god this is the most fanboyish argument for anything, ever

I don't really mind JC's voice, but what the fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom