Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware We need an upcoming games thread (preliminary discussion)

You know how you sometimes wonder what games are coming up, and yes, we each have our own little list, but if you want to see other great shit that's being developed but is not on your radar, what do you do? You could google it and get some PC Gamer-style list, about 75% of which will be utter trash, and all 100% will be mainstream stuff. Or you could check a Codex thread like this one (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/upcoming-and-future-role-playing-games.119870/), but it only has RPGs and it has EVERYTHING coming out, including some games that 3 codexers will play.

What if there was a thread here in General Gaming that had a poll and a list: the poll would include pretty much every game coming out (as per google results combined with suggestions in the thread), but the list would include only those poll results that have at least x votes (of which games are you looking forward to). This way, people could add their suggestions for games nobody knows about, but unless those games garner some level of interest, they won't show up on the main list, which will only have the real good shit to look forward to (adjusting for Codex shit tastes).

Thoughts? Anyone want to volunteer to create such a thread? I know a lot of you are NEETs, perhaps King Crispy can be talked into paying you for such labor.

Iucounu

Educated
the list would include only those poll results that have at least x votes (of which games are you looking forward to). This way, people could add their suggestions for games nobody knows about, but unless those games garner some level of interest, they won't show up on the main list, which will only have the real good shit to look forward to (adjusting for Codex shit tastes).
This would likely result in shill accounts inflating AAA games, as usual. Maybe it could work if only +1 year members were allowed to vote?

There are quite a few threads focusing on different genres that do that except most of them don't have lists or polls, none of them are on the level of Abu Antar's thread though.

Yeah, I mention one in the OP, but my point is 1. a combined list would be better, instead of a bunch of different threads, and 2. these current lists tend to have everything coming out, so most of it is crap no one cares about. A single "distilled" thread with a list of only really good shit would be ideal.

Spukrian

Savant
If we have one list for all games that aren't crpgs then the list would be gigantic and filled with games belonging to genres that wouldn't be of interest to everyone.

And "distilling" the thread would obviously leave out lots of games that are actually good, because codexers can't really agree on what's good and what isn't.

If we have one list for all games that aren't crpgs then the list would be gigantic and filled with games belonging to genres that wouldn't be of interest to everyone.

That's why I suggested to split it into 2 things, a poll that has all the games coming out (assuming codex forum polls can support hundreds of options), which would also be filtered somewhat by whoever is doing it to remove obvious shovelware, and a distilled list of games people actually look forward to.

And "distilling" the thread would obviously leave out lots of games that are actually good, because codexers can't really agree on what's good and what isn't.

Well, if you follow my algorithm of games from the previous poll that received x votes, as long as enough codexers are interested in it, it would show up. So it wouldn't matter if other codexers thought it was shit.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Already enough threads as it is.
Also do you really wanna know all about the latest Reddit approved slop?
Just find it out yourself if you wanna know that badly.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Making such a thread is a lot of work, so I doubt anyone will take you up on your offer.

If you do create such a thread, I would probably subscribe to it.

Spike

Educated
I actually have been thinking the same thing as Porky but it seems unwieldy.

I must not hype. Hype is the mind-killer. Hype is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my hype. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the hype has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Hell Swarm

Educated
TBH I just check the stream thread and watch the new steam release websites.

Spike

Educated
TBH I just check the stream thread and watch the new steam release websites.
What was that steam website that shows all the newly released games that aren't trash again? It was posted around here somewhere recently and I can't remember where.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Don't we basically have this in an informal manner across many boards? There are general threads here, the Steam releases, one for Asian RPGs in the JRPG forum, one for adventure games in the adventure game forum and so forth. Seems to me that anything of importance would have its own thread.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Don't we basically have this in an informal manner across many boards? There are general threads here, the Steam releases, one for Asian RPGs in the JRPG forum, one for adventure games in the adventure game forum and so forth. Seems to me that anything of importance would have its own thread.
Problem with thread titles is you often don't know what you're looking for until you see it. "Big Jim's Hoe Ban" might not be a title you're into. But it's gameplay maybe exactly what you want and you don't know until you see it in action

Yeah, also it's not realistic to expect people to browse the entire forum every time to look for shit to get hyped about. An average codexer's behavior is more like hop into shoutbox, shitpost a few comments, jump into GD, post some hot take on racial relations, scan the tits-n-ass thread, then post in Skyrim/Bear Sex 3/Other guilty pleasure thread. A single consolidated thread purely for hype would be the bee's knees.

Spike

Educated
I do love this idea. 3D Plaftormers come out rarely enough to where I am not sure it would justify its own thread, so other genres that are similar would fit in well in a mega thread. But y'know I know it might be a bit to ask :oops:

Hell Swarm

Educated
I do love this idea. 3D Plaftormers come out rarely enough to where I am not sure it would justify its own thread, so other genres that are similar would fit in well in a mega thread. But y'know I know it might be a bit to ask :oops:
There's a non stop flow of 3d platformers on the steam hose pipe.. Just depends on the quality

Spike

Educated
There's a non stop flow of 3d platformers on the steam hose pipe.. Just depends on the quality
I have seen this, yeah. I mostly mean for quality. Any you are looking at/would recommend? I recently grabbed PsiloSybil.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I have seen this, yeah. I mostly mean for quality. Any you are looking at/would recommend? I recently grabbed PsiloSybil.
I don't follow the genre closely any more. Too many wannabe banjo games. I did play Spiderfox this week, it's... not good. But I had fun seeing the weird animal combos. Wouldn't recommend it but it's one of those shit games with a neat idea I played because I got gifted it.

Spike

Educated
I don't follow the genre closely any more. Too many wannabe banjo games. I did play Spiderfox this week, it's... not good. But I had fun seeing the weird animal combos. Wouldn't recommend it but it's one of those shit games with a neat idea I played because I got gifted it.
How positively epic, sirrah. Yeah I hear you, that's neat you got something out of your curiosity from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom