Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We could use some reviews

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
BRO BROBERT REVIEWS LOVE YOU BRO :love: :love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BRO DO A LAZARUS REVIEW!

It'll be interesting to have the U5 and Lazarus reviews done by the same person.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In the thread I posted earlier, I belive Silellak was going to write a Lazarus review. It was just taking a while to write up fully (same with my SI review).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BROS IVE GOT TO FINISH U6 BEFORE I GET ON ANOTHER REVIEW SO WE WILL SEE BUT I WILL DEFINITELY DO SOMETHING IT MIGHT BE A WHILE THOUGH

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BLOBERT said:
BROS I WAS THINK MAYBE U5 LAZARUS OR U7

I MIGHT TRY ONE OF THE WORLDS OF ULTIMA GAMES SINCE YOU HEAR THE LEAST ABOUT THEM

Only if it's done in-character, BRO!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jaesun said:
In the thread I posted earlier, I belive Silellak was going to write a Lazarus review. It was just taking a while to write up fully (same with my SI review).
... and on this point, don't let the fact that "someone else said they'd do it" stop you from writing your own. As I said, we will post multiples and the reality is there's a big difference between someone saying they'll do it, versus someone actually delivering on that.

We've had a few people who've said they'd do and they didn't - and someone else as a result who would've, didn't because that other person said they would, but they didn't so we ended up with nothing (I myself for example, have at least 5 reviews that I'm "working on" and have been for some time now - whether I ever complete them depends on a whole range of things, like whether I decide to spend two weeks coding a gallery feature for everyone's benefit instead).

Worse case scenario we get both (or more) and only publish one, at which point you are of course free to post yours (if it's the one that was rejected) in the forums / whore it out to some other website / ritually burn it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO GOOD POINT DU MOTHERFUCKERS DONT ALWAYS FOLLOW THROUGH

I AM JUST GOING WITH THE FLOW I WILL REVIEW SOMETHING IF I PLAYT SOMETHING THAT COULD USE ONE

BRO I HAVETO WRITE ABOUT SHIT I REALLY GIVE A DAM N ABOUT I AM NOT A GREAT WRITER

BROS THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTERS THIS IS THE SHIT THAT I COME HERE FOR

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It would be cool to have a codex meta score on games. It could show up on stuff like reviews. and shit. Or maybe not since every game would have like 2/10 anyway.

BLOBERT said:
I AM NOT A GREAT WRITER
Lies.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, metascore would be great (though I imagine Drog and others abusing it)

RatFink

Educated
how bout adventure games?

we do have the sub section. and judging from the "top-whatevernumber" list there are a few games people feel have been left out and might want to be advertised/played.

sure this is the RPG-codex after all but with games such as bioshock and outcast in the reviews...it is not that much of a stretch to also have adventure game reviews. if you want the review page "clean" and want them posted in the sub section that is ok, but it might give the audience the impression of us thinkin out of the box too, and not just spend our time circlejerking about rpgs.

i dont know if this is wanted in any way whatsoever...but well it just occurred to me.

then again...who outside of our nice and sweet circlejerk does know about our reviews page, and doesnt look in the forums directly :M

just wanted to get this off my chest and because i might just write something on adventures.
+ i would really like to see bloodnet or dreamweb reviews (and by that i dont mean the threads telling you its awesome because of this and that, but a coherent codexian take on the game.)

i know this kinda sounds like a fuckin child asking if its allowed to do something...but well it might also just give people an idea to write proper codexian adventure reviews :salute:

Angthoron

Arcane
Konjad said:
Yeah, metascore would be great (though I imagine Drog and others abusing it)

Doesn't DU's guideline explicitly say that there's no score for the reviews? I'm personally against numeric scores as well.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
METASCORE IS GAY GAY GAY

THE TOP GAMES OF THE YEAR TOPIC IS CLOSE ENOUGH TO QUEERNESS

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Update: Keep sending these in. We have a bunch we're going over for review so don't be surprised if it takes us a while to get those up (though that's not saying you shouldn't PM me from time to time to remind me).

Not all will necessaarily go up (we have too many Fallout:NV reviews for example, but we don't know which ones we'll drop at this stage) but we will let you know if and when that sort of decision is made with something you submit.

If I was more organised on this I'd have a list of games we'd like reviews for. My main focus of late has been re-coding the Codex in its entirety from the ground-up, which is going to take me a long while to finish. Hmmm... Maybe if I coded something...

Jools said:
Angthoron said:
I'm personally against numeric scores as well.

That.
Well... Yes, but imagine the butthurt when DA2 receives 3/10, and our own very prestigious magazine is the only thing in the way of a perfect 10/10 score. It would be worth it many times over IMO.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
herostratus said:
Jools said:
Angthoron said:
I'm personally against numeric scores as well.

That.
Well... Yes, but imagine the butthurt when DA2 receives 3/10, and our own very prestigious magazine is the only thing in the way of a perfect 10/10 score. It would be worth it many times over IMO.

You have a point there... so do our scores actually count towards metacritic's calculations? :D

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
The Codex has too much negative connotations amongst the largest gaming sites, publishers and developers for our reviews to matter. Maybe we should set up an outside website with competent reviews for rpgs that on paper is not connected to RPGCodex but in reality it is. Anyway, it looks like too much work just to troll the publishers with 3/10 reviews.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
tarkin said:
The Codex has too much negative connotations amongst the largest gaming sites, publishers and developers for our reviews to matter. Maybe we should set up an outside website with competent reviews for rpgs that on paper is not connected to RPGCodex but in reality it is. Anyway, it looks like too much work just to troll the publishers with 3/10 reviews.

Also, PC Gamer Sweden already ruined the "perfect 100%" thing with their 8.5 (which counts as a -5/10, since the actual scale only ranges from 90 to 100), so we don't really need to.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
tarkin said:
Kinda like a money laundering front, but instead of money we launder reviews. I doubt it would make much difference though, as unfavorable reviews no matter the tone never are popular among developers nor publishers.

baronjohn

Cipher
tarkin said:
I've been thinking about this for a long time. Something like Popamolar Magazine where we rate how popamole games are (inverse scale, 10 popamoles would mean shit game). It wouldn't cost anything except some time to write the reviews (not hard once you get started). All we need is a team.

Vibalist

Arcane
tarkin said:

I know Bethesda once censored the word rpgcodex on their forums, but I think you overestimate RPGCodex's notoriety a bit. There may be some negative connotations amongst gaming sites and publishers, but mostly I just think most gaming sites and publishers have no idea who we are.

As for the outside web thingie, I don't see the point. Let the Codex remain a place that people who want a different view on things visit, while the rest of the world ignores us. That's the whole point of this page. It's a place where people come if they want more in depth discussions about video games. It's never going to be a place that will convince people who like popamole games that they shouldn't, even if the reviews are "outsourced".

TNO

Augur
I have a few things I could write after I fail my medical degree. If you can forgive me for my effusive praise for NV, that is.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
tarkin said:
Ugh, terrible idea. How can you be so apologetic for your own site? We're not in the business of trying to convince other gamers of our views. We're just here for our own sakes to talk about the things we like. Like every other internet forum it's just a gathering of individuals who agree on certain things, and the reviews here are only to help said individuals make a decision since they are written by other individuals who share the same standards. That's it, and if you think there is more to it you seriously overestimate our influence with other gamers. The fact is that it's up to each outside person whether they'd be interested in one of our reviews or not; if they won't look because of our "reputation" or whatever then fuck 'em, they're not worthy of our opinions anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom