Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline We are infested with mediocrity in the AA-tier of RPGs, developers are not even trying to cover it.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Also whats with modern rpgs insisting on wasting your fucking time, this game just DRAGS for no reason, they dont actually DO anything with these big pregnant pauses and the animations and how slow they are to cycle through them are grating.
Let me continue my bitching from before. So I'm playing BG2 w/ SCS as a palate cleanser after WOTR raping my brain with its shitiness

Chargen, aside from the rolling for stats, takes like 1 minute. The intro sequence sets up antagonist and intrigue in 30 seconds flat. You're a social worker who goes through the forgotten realms taking care of retards like minsc and stopping sexual deviant elves from preying on their trusting nature, you've got a couple of hoes for companions. Great, good. I'm immediately into the action and exploring a large dungeon. Everything is RESPONSIVE, the difference between this and a modern crpg trash like WOTR where one click is like sending smoke signals to the CPU. This fucking game runs at 30fps but somehow it feels more fluid and lively than a flagship title TWENTY YEARS LATER
WTF are you talking about?

Wrath intro takes like two minutes. You’re just butthurt because hardest difficulty is actually hard at first (don’t play it), and you’ve got paralysis by analysis trying to find all those leet multi- builds that aren’t there (multi just leaves you underleveled).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SJzfGLVw4

Its ten fucking minutes long and completely pointless. The entire sequence where your MC is brought in on a stretcher and attended to, is completely pointless and full of grating writing and grating voice acting. Then you meander around a pointless area full of nondescript NPCs that they clearly had trouble getting to render at acceptable frames so they made all of it ugly with low res shadows and loads of pop-in even on the higest settings, and then and only then does the actual intro scene they shouldve just started with in the first fucking place trigger.

I have no idea how hard it is or isnt, because I never made it that far you dunce. Thats how bad the experience from launching to chargen to intro is, its disgusting that these faggots got a cool 2 mill and produced this shit.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
But at the end of the day neither part of said RPG X is up to par, nor even works properly. The story is a formulaic refuse-bin-level Young Adult novel drivel, where neither plot, nor characters, nor style are above mediocre. But on top of that mediocrity, you are also settled with a ruleset that's overtly broken. You have to house-rule against exploits left and right, and ruleset features are aded with no thought given to a general vision.
Then it sounds perfectly on brand for Warhammer. That's been Warhammer almost since it's inception and it's only gotten worse as time went on. I genuinely wouldn't expect anything less from a 40k product and only a fool wouldn't see this has been 40k since at least 3rd edition.
this thread is why i heavily advocate indie games, if you're gonna get something mediocre, best to pay an individual rather than a pandering-to-the-lowest-denominator-corporation since the individual is more likely to try something different in mechanics or gameplay, and if it's utter garbage you're out a few currency pieces and can hopefully refund it. the downside is the amount of absolute garbage needed to be sifted through.
Finding good indie games is very difficult. Especially if you don't want to support retarded-politics. A lot of the bigger 'indie' titles are networking with game journos to get any attention at all. People always say "Play Indies! They're still innovative and fun!" and then you're stuck with games that look like they belong on the NES for graphics, bad PS1 blurry messes or digging through piles of Steam pages trying to find something. I used to use crackwatch to find new games because no one was going to crack complete garbage so it became a vetted way to view new games. Now it's gone it's a nightmare trying to find good games even in indie-friendly genres like Metroidvanias.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its ten fucking minutes long and completely pointless. The entire sequence where your MC is brought in on a stretcher and attended to, is completely pointless and full of grating writing and grating voice acting. Then you meander around a pointless area full of nondescript NPCs that they clearly had trouble getting to render at acceptable frames so they made all of it ugly with low res shadows and loads of pop-in even on the higest settings, and then and only then does the actual intro scene they shouldve just started with in the first fucking place trigger.
Good examples of the sad padding that we have to put up with. I don't know why they do it. Possible reasons are that they want to pad the playing time in the first 2-3 hours so it's tougher to refund the game, or maybe this is their idea of setting up "narrative hooks", or whatever they were taught to set up at their ""creative" "writing"" courses. Or this is simply the best they can come up with and they feel obliged to come up with something, so they can show the project manager they did any work today.

I wonder how did the Fallout crew manage to do any writing without anyone being a "licensed" "narrative designer", j/k :D The industry is truly infested with parasitic functional illiterates at redundant positions. The thing I'm wondering is if there is anything recently released or under development, that holds up to 1990s standards. Because the AA crap is clearly a distortion of historical memory. Maybe JA3? I haven't played it yet, I just hear good impressions of it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We are infested with mediocrity
Rogue Trader

brother you are 10 years late with your observation

when someone makes these threads I feel like a genius cause ive been saying this since i registered here

pillars, dos, tyranny, numanuma, kingmaker, shadowrun, wasteland 2, etc etc

whole KS and post-KS wave is mediocre

no fucking shit sherlock
Sorry to disappoint, but you are not a genius.

I've consciously been applying lower standards to KS era games. Mostly out of curiosity about what they would offer. I'm sure many oldtime players here would admit to doing the same, giving them a pass out of curiosity, and then deciding to put up with the game "because it's for children anyway".

These are my thoughts as I tried applying my old standards to newer RPGs. Playing Colony Ship while following information on Rogue Trader provoked the comparison. It's not news to anyone that the KS era games are a compromise on everyone's part - players and developers.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Also whats with modern rpgs insisting on wasting your fucking time, this game just DRAGS for no reason, they dont actually DO anything with these big pregnant pauses and the animations and how slow they are to cycle through them are grating.
Let me continue my bitching from before. So I'm playing BG2 w/ SCS as a palate cleanser after WOTR raping my brain with its shitiness

Chargen, aside from the rolling for stats, takes like 1 minute. The intro sequence sets up antagonist and intrigue in 30 seconds flat. You're a social worker who goes through the forgotten realms taking care of retards like minsc and stopping sexual deviant elves from preying on their trusting nature, you've got a couple of hoes for companions. Great, good. I'm immediately into the action and exploring a large dungeon. Everything is RESPONSIVE, the difference between this and a modern crpg trash like WOTR where one click is like sending smoke signals to the CPU. This fucking game runs at 30fps but somehow it feels more fluid and lively than a flagship title TWENTY YEARS LATER
WTF are you talking about?

Wrath intro takes like two minutes. You’re just butthurt because hardest difficulty is actually hard at first (don’t play it), and you’ve got paralysis by analysis trying to find all those leet multi- builds that aren’t there (multi just leaves you underleveled).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SJzfGLVw4

I have no idea how hard it is or isnt, because I never made it that far you dunce. Thats how bad the experience from launching to chargen to intro is, its disgusting that these faggots got a cool 2 mill and produced this shit.
Click-through, how does it work?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Dan Abnett and some other Black Library writers are pretty fucking far from YA drivel, I'll not stand for this slander
Black Library is the text book definition of YA drivel for teenage boys. Teenage boys asking for warhammer for Christmas and never actually investing in the hobby has been GW's intended market all along. It's a revolving door of price hikes, poorly written lore and space marine wank. There are some okay warhammer novels but they're ultimately thieves stealing ideas from else where constantly (i.e. all early warhammer, the foundation of the setting) so you're better off reading the original sources any way. Dan Abnett is very controversial among older wargamers for fucking up the lore and writing a bunch of unreadable garbage. If you came in later you may disagree but don't try and defend anything GW do as "fucking far from YA drivel" when that is exactly the market they're aiming for. Warhammer lore used to be a sandbox to play your games in. Now it's Twilight for little boys and that goes back to 3rd edition taking it's self seriously and making the lore unironic. 8th edition saw WOTC turning Planeswalkers into marketable characters so GW followed suit and started to bring back iconic (and never should return) characters to do the same thing. Which not only utterly fucked all the lore even harder, it changed warhammer even further from a sandbox for Your dudes into a marvel movie.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So one more setting coming from the 70s and 80s which is currently feeding some zoomer maggots.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Dan Abnett writes unreadable garbage? Lmao. What the fuck are you talking about.
Dan Abnett wrote a few good books but he is just one author, possibly the only semi-decent one among dozen(s?). In fact only a few first Ghosts are good, the rest and other books I've read seem mediocre (for exemple that trilogy about an inquisitor whats-his-name).

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Dan Abnett writes unreadable garbage? Lmao. What the fuck are you talking about.
Are you going to defend Alien Isolation dragging up the corpse of Ripley's daughter for no reason and being one of the dumbest games ever made? Guardians of the galaxy? Are you going to fucking defend ULTRAMARINE A WARHAMMER 40,000 MOVIE? One of the literally worst movies ever released. Utterly unwatchable garbage with bad CGI, bad writing and a 90 minute slog of watching badly animated marines walk through fog.

I won't even insult you by implying his work as a modern comic book writer is remotely acceptable and assume you're not that retarded.

raeven

Educated
It's hard to claim that budget is the cause of buggy games when BG3 had near infinite money and is one of the buggiest games I've ever played.

Old Hans

Arcane
It's hard to claim that budget is the cause of buggy games when BG3 had near infinite money and is one of the buggiest games I've ever played.
my favorite is when player models just clip through elevators and fall to their death. or constant out of sync sound effects. it feel like im playing on online game with on a dial up model and the worst lag ever

raeven

Educated
my favorite is when player models just clip through elevators and fall to their death. or constant out of sync sound effects. it feel like im playing on online game with on a dial up model and the worst lag ever
It's so bad. I can't understand how it got released with as many game breaking bugs as it has.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Playing Act 3 at launch:

starship-troopers-traitor-of-mars.gif

Old Hans

Arcane
It's so bad. I can't understand how it got released with as many game breaking bugs as it has.
I really couldnt say, but having used the creation engine editor for Fallout New Vegas, one wrong move can have unintended side effect. its like "I just wanted this NPC to sit in a chair, and now none of the doors work"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom