Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 coming to Fig on October 5th, introducing two player co-op and cinematic conversations

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is $700k on the first day that good, given there were probably people lined up to invest in this before it launched? Will be interesting to see if the funding patterns are similar to a KS campaign.

Is $700k on the first day that good, given there were probably people lined up to invest in this before it launched? Will be interesting to see if the funding patterns are similar to a KS campaign.

It didn't raise 700k on the first day.
They capped the investments at 2,25 million, but the Fig page says that there is only 1,558 million left from that. Doesn't this mean that 700K worth of investment is already reserved?

Psychonauts 2, was effectively a failure, specially considering Fig's ambitions. Its whole purpose was to reach a level of funding they wouldn't be able to reach through Kickstarter alone, and so far it's failed to come even close.
We live in an age when reaching your goal means that you failed. Because logic!

They never believed that they can earn twice as much money as a Kickstarter, but they didn't want to pay the fees for Kickstarter. And who knows, maybe Psychonauts would have only earnt 2 million of Kickstarter, so 3,3 million of Fig is amazing. We will never know, but considering that campaign a failure is ridiculous. You are like those people who consider PoE a flop because it didn't sell 5 million.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Still no leaked Fig campaign? I am disappoint.
There is no point in posting the whole thing, the most interesting info we already leaked. And the most interesting part, the pitch video, is not available in this early access to Fig WL3 project.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hmmm. Maybe I should invest 1000 bucks. I'm almost certain this game will generate revenue for me and for all investors. Big game, lots of marketing and hype.
Wooh, I didn't know you are that loaded bro. :D

The investments are coming in nicely by the way. From the 2,2M investment cap, there is only 1,5M left, and the pre-campaign only started yesterday.

I'm rich, bro. Still, 1000 bux aint pocket change, so I dunno. It could be interesting.

Doesn't seem like a quality investment.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A potential 1.36 RoI (minus expenses) over 4 to 5 years (if the game is released on schedule) isn't that bad if you're a big inXile fan. Intinium is probably right in the center of the target demographic for that kind of deal.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
the sad thing is, if this would have been kickstarter I would have backed it, burning some money is always easy, but once I look at it as investing its a different game

Hegel

Arcane
No. I just don't think you have.

And you are right that a lot of investors just throw money at stuff. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Hegel , do you read any of this gobbledegook stuff
My analysts do (read everything) and sometimes I do as well (I love reading 10-Ks though), but we're on the buy side (and a minority, you'd be surprised by how many people aren't as thorough). Even worse, I know for sure of sell side credit trading desks that just spare a glance at the indentures.
VCs and angels can be somewhat weak on due diligence given the number of deals they back on the basis of peer referral alone.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
the sad thing is, if this would have been kickstarter I would have backed it, burning some money is always easy, but once I look at it as investing its a different game

you can still pledge like a normal kickstarter you know. It's just that, there's both options now. The investment and the pledge.

When the campaign launches you will be able to see all the different reward tiers, just like a normal kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

The most common suggestions so far are about modular base upgrades: selecting different wall types for buildings (brick, steel, etc.), manually placing turrets, levelling up shops to unlock the next inventory tier (with visual changes to the shop's layout for every level) etc. etc. If Fargo is willing to take this all on, WL3 could have one of the most robust base building systems in the genre. Would certainly put PoE to shame.

Darkzone

Arcane
A potential 1.36 RoI (minus expenses) over 4 to 5 years (if the game is released on schedule) isn't that bad if you're a big inXile fan. Intinium is probably right in the center of the target demographic for that kind of deal.
Or a potential 0.00 RoI.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking about investing but what the hell is Non US taxpayer ID?

Mustawd

As a non-U.S. citizen, obtaining a Federal Tax ID number is a two step process:

1. You must obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (I.T.I.N) from the Internal Revenue Service. To do so, you will need to complete and mail in a W-7 Form, which we have included for you here (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.) Instructions for filling out and completing the W-7 form are below.
  2. Once you have obtained an I.T.I.N from the Internal Revenue Service, you must return to this web page and complete the online form at the bottom.

https://secure.delcorp.com/tax-services-non-US-citizen.php

It's so Uncle Sam can get their monies.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a non-U.S. citizen, obtaining a Federal Tax ID number is a two step process:

1. You must obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (I.T.I.N) from the Internal Revenue Service. To do so, you will need to complete and mail in a W-7 Form, which we have included for you here (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.) Instructions for filling out and completing the W-7 form are below.
  2. Once you have obtained an I.T.I.N from the Internal Revenue Service, you must return to this web page and complete the online form at the bottom.

https://secure.delcorp.com/tax-services-non-US-citizen.php

It's so Uncle Sam can get their monies.
Fuck Uncle Sam. Will back for the lowest tier.

Fairfax

Arcane
So far there's no sign that Fig will be as important to Obsidian's business model as it is to InXile's.

For now. Let's see how he feels after the Russkie MMO checks stop coming in.
That's the thing. There's no way they can raise enough money on Fig to pay the ~110-120 people working on AW. Obsidian is fucked if that game isn't very successful.

Latelistener

Arcane
Hmmm. Maybe I should invest 1000 bucks.

tumblr_m8f3nqNFUF1rvfgjao3_250.gif
giphy.gif

Mustawd

I guess they're making offerings on a game by game basis. I mean at the end of the day investing in an LLC is not that much different than investing in a small temporary fund from one of the Fund of Fund's. In which your return is based on that specific fund.

Now, if you were looking to invest in video games in general, that'd be a problem. I wonder why Psychonaughts 2 is structured so differently? Do you see any language in that document that allows inXile to spend money on whatever they want and not just the game?

Fairfax

Arcane

I guess they're making offerings on a game by game basis. I mean at the end of the day investing in an LLC is not that much different than investing in a small temporary fund from one of the Fund of Fund's. In which your return is based on that specific fund.
Yes, they're creating one LLC to fund each game. Psychonauts 2 had Fig Grassland or whatever it was called.

Now, if you were looking to invest in video games in general, that'd be a problem. I wonder why Psychonaughts 2 is structured so differently?
Each agreement is different. For instance: the Psychonauts 2 agreement did not give Fig a cut of DLC revenue, while WL3's agreement does. Both Double Fine and InXile are heavily involved with Fig, and Fig's CEO used to be Double Fine's COO, so I don't think any agreement is better or safer than the other, only tweaked according to what Schafer and Fargo wanted, I guess.

Do you see any language in that document that allows inXile to spend money on whatever they want and not just the game?
There's a section which determines the right of the WL3 LLC to examine InXile's books periodically. If InXile spends a "majority of Fig Funds" for purposes "unrelated to development, marketing or publishing" of the game or Fig WL3 is underpaid, InXile has to pay them back with interest.
Misuse is not defined, and "majority" is a key word there. Could Fargo take part of the money, spend it on a Wasteland Gamer Shoes line and call it marketing expenses? I guess only lawyers can tell.

The speculation about money from one game being used in others comes from this part of Fig's filings IIRC:
We could be required to use assets attributed to one series of Game Shares to pay liabilities attributed to another series of Game Shares.
The assets attributed to one series of Game Shares are potentially subject to the liabilities attributed to another series of Game Shares, even if those liabilities arise from lawsuits, contracts or indebtedness that are attributed to such other series of Game Shares. No provision of our amended and restated certificate of incorporation prevents us from satisfying liabilities of one series of Game Shares with assets of another series of Game Shares, and our creditors will not in any way be limited by our capital structure from proceeding against any assets they could have proceeded against if we did not have any Game Shares. As a result, although we intend for the Game Shares to track the performance of our Pub Subs, we cannot provide any guarantee that the Game Shares will in fact track the performance of each such Pub Sub and that a particular series of Game Shares will not be subject to a disproportionate share of the burden of any non-performing Game Shares, whether or not included in the assets attributed to such series, and will not be attributed a disproportionate amount of our general liabilities, costs and expenses.

It seems they can cover losses and other expenses of Fig LLCs using assets from another. In his posts, Fig's CEO did not deny that. He said Psychonauts 2's funds cannot be used in other projects, but he didn't say a word about profits.

This was the weirdest part of the license agreement to me:

zDFiNn.jpg

A bug-free RPG is an extremely tall order. I'm not sure what happens if InXile delivers a buggy game, though. I don't know if the contract can be terminated by Fig for that, and who gets paid or not if that happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom