Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm about 15 hours in and enjoying it very much, seems to be a step-up from Wasteland 2. Which is a dim memory at this point, but still.

Are any of the DLCs worth it? They are on sale at the moment.
I liked battle of steeltown, but few fights are a drag and the final fight is bad (basically endless wave of enemies until you have some objective). i like the story and setting complement the overall partriach story. 6 or 7 solid.

The second DLC is a slog all the way. Remember when i said last battle of steeltown is bad? Well the atom cult one takes the concept, and makes 90% of the story encounter waves of objective based gimmick encounter. And the enemies are the most spongy in the whole game. The story stick out like sore thumb because it doesn't relate to any of the politics in colodado.
Yeah I agree, Steeltown is definitely good in parts, and it's fairly interesting conceptually (politically, etc.). The Atom stuff I just tried a bit and fuck I'm outed. I don't understand why they brought the most annoying faction from the most annoying and draggy quest zone in WL2 back.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone knows which one is the default key for quickly selecting a single unit?.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And finished it. They did a might fine job with this one, I have no real complaints. Combat stayed fairly engaging throughout, all the skills and weapon types have their use cases. And there's plenty of wackiness to experience. Who wouldn't want a Reagan fanatic AI piloting your railgun-armed verhicle? Even the soundtrack is great, when Battle Hymn of the Republic starts playing and you blast commie robots it's hard not to have a good time.

Zerth

Arbiter
NPCs are unable to open doors, Im aware isnt really intended to be part of gameplay combat as it is in JA2 for instance.
But this is well, kinda sad.

Also the core conflict of steeltown seems confusing to me.
A plant dedicated to manufacturing where the assembly line seems fully automated,
what roles do man/hours labour actually fulfill on this factory?. Besides of course labour of maintenance and overseeing.
Why does they keep a guy standing on a plate to hold a bunch of ducts from releasing fire? what's the point of all that shit anways? He ended up pissing anywhere might aswell piss where he was standing.

Also I think there was a missed opportunity to do a proper post-apoc parody of companies riding the hype train when a new tech fads hit the market and they decide to burn money on it.
Delegating everything, even the hiring assessment, to the computer engine despite of the admin being aware of the bug.
How come they were blindly accepting its bullshit judgement under these circumstances?.

At this point Im forcing myself to finish steeltown.

Ladonna

Arcane
And finished it. They did a might fine job with this one, I have no real complaints. Combat stayed fairly engaging throughout, all the skills and weapon types have their use cases. And there's plenty of wackiness to experience. Who wouldn't want a Reagan fanatic AI piloting your railgun-armed verhicle? Even the soundtrack is great, when Battle Hymn of the Republic starts playing and you blast commie robots it's hard not to have a good time.

Vanilla? Or with the addons?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron

Vanilla, the DLCs are pretty meh according to this thread.

Ladonna

Arcane

Nice. I think I will just jump in to the standard version once I finish my current game. I had been tossing up whether to bother with the addons after seeing mixed reports.

Taim

Educated
What difficulty? And did you pick any of the additional difficulty options (can't remember what they are - permadeath?)

I've been meaning to actually play this game for a while but I hear some people say even Supreme Jerk is too easy...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've been meaning to actually play this game for a while but I hear some people say even Supreme Jerk is too easy...
Everyone who plays on Supreme Jerk seems to have a miserable time because of the playstyle it forces on you, don't go above ranger.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Nice. I think I will just jump in to the standard version once I finish my current game. I had been tossing up whether to bother with the addons after seeing mixed reports.

Don't bother with Cult of the Holy Detonation unless the idea of slogging through infinitely spawning enemies for the entire DLC is interesting to you. The Battle of Steeltown is OK. Pick it up if you're really into the game, otherwise you can't skip it. It's nothing special.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Everyone who plays on Supreme Jerk seems to have a miserable time because of the playstyle it forces on you, don't go above ranger.
Nah, for base game SJ is fine. Actually I recommend SJ + 4-man party for best experience.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
What difficulty? And did you pick any of the additional difficulty options (can't remember what they are - permadeath?)

I played on Ranger with no additional options enabled, which was challenging enough for me. My character builds weren't very optimal, as I went in completely blind.

Zerth

Arbiter
Which one is the forced playstyle on maximum difficulty?. In wastelander you can get a squishy unit easily one shot by an enemy critical hit already, couldnt imagine how is it on SJ.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
inXile thinks their game is prefect and will never release a directors cut:

We're pleased to announce that Wasteland 3: Director's Cut is never happening. The game is perfect. So if you were waiting, just buy it now. Also it's on sale during the Xbox Game Studios Publisher Sale on Steam:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"We're pleased to announce that Wasteland 3: Director's Cut is never happening. The game is perfect."

vWqQGSr.png

Zerth

Arbiter
Well, now that I finished Steeltown many of my previous complaints have been cleared up.
All the final social skills requirements are really high tho.
I personally wouldn't take up this DLC without hardass or kissass at 10.
The non lethal combat approach seemed like a potencially fun idea since it revolves around inflicting status,
however the gimmick gets old quickly because it doesnt go beyond stacking up the debuff knockdown,
also the annoying elemental shields only aggravates the tedium, because those dont add anything interesting but put the fight into a stall.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.inxile-entertainment.co...ure-acquire-machines-of-war-to-fight-for-good

OPERATION: SCORPITRON CAPTURE – Acquire machines of war to fight for good!​

Attention Rangers! Beginning on April 24th, eight custom hand-painted Scorpitron maquettes modified by members of our studio will go up for auction along with the rest of the Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition goods benefitting Child’s Play charity. Each auction set will also include a Steam key for the Colorado Collection of Wasteland 3, which includes all available DLC. 100% of the proceeds from these auctions goes to Child’s Play.

TOPSECRET_socialNEW.png

CEall.jpg

Please note that pictured with this set is the original Scorpitron maquette. Each auctioned set includes the described custom Scorpitron in that listing.
The Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition includes:
  • Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition outer sleeve and inner display-box with magnetic tri-panel enclosure and diorama display
  • Custom Scorpitron statue
  • Ranger’s Star metal keychain
  • Wasteland 3 mini-mixtape 8GB USB stick (containing soundtrack and game manual)
  • General Vargas’ dog tags
  • Wasteland 3 Art Book
  • Wasteland Survival Guide
  • Cloth Map of Colorado
A recap about the mechanical monstrosities these statuettes pay homage to:
“The Scorpitrons were the deadliest robots to emerge from Base Cochise. Designed for urban warfare, they were the chief weapons against the more densely populated and armed Las Vegas community. The original Scorpitron was heavily armored and propelled by tank treads. Its primary weapon was an autocannon mounted on its agile tail. Powerful enough to cause significant structural damage, the autocannon could make short work of even the most well-armored fortifications and defenders. After the destruction of Base Cochise, the remaining Scorpitrons were eventually hunted down and destroyed. However, a newer, deadlier variant appeared in Los Angeles. These upgraded models were the creation of Mattias and made the difference in Cochise’s renewed war against the Desert Rangers.”
-Excerpt from the WASTELAND SURVIVAL GUIDE, first edition
Let’s get a good close and personal look at each of these beasts we’re offering:
‘Awaiting Orders’ by David Rogers, Wasteland 3 Game Director
David1.jpg

‘K.E.V.I.N.’ by Dan Glasl, Lead Concept Artist
Dan4.jpg

Battle for Scorched Earth’ by Jason Barnes, Animation Director
Barnes1.png

‘Aculeus’ by Charlie Bloomer, Senior Producer
Charlie3.jpg

‘The Crawfish’ by Christina Entwisle, UI Artist, & Megan Hourcade, 2D Artist
ChristinaMegan2.jpg

‘Pierre, the Radioactive Scorpitron’ by Todd Moulder, Lead Engineer
Todd2.jpg

‘Concept Art Version’ by Mike Portillo, Senior AI Designer
Portillo5.jpg

‘Carnival’ by Josh Jertberg, Former Lead Animator
Josh1.jpg

CPbanner.png

Child’s Play Charity is rooted in the healing power of play. Endowed by the gaming community, Child’s Play is devoted to improving the lives of children and teens in children’s hospitals. Child’s Play has expanded to 190+ network hospitals across the globe.
https://childsplaycharity.org/
OPERATION: SCORPITRON CAPTURE Charity Auction begins on April 24th, and we’ll be adding the specific link for inXile's eBay page in this post when this goes live. We’ll also be broadcasting the link via our social channels, so keep your eyes peeled.
That’s all for now, Rangers. Thanks for heeding the call and for being the best damn community this side of the Holy Detonation.
-Team inXile
SHARE:

In retrospect this one was really weird. The original game content was great fun. I gave it a really positive review, but the DLC stuff were hot garbage. What happened?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In retrospect this one was really weird. The original game content was great fun. I gave it a really positive review, but the DLC stuff were hot garbage. What happened?

Sometimes DLC is budgeted as a premium product with the full attention of the studio (or close to it), while other times it's clearly more like a part time obligation while most of the team has moved on to other things.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Sometimes DLC is budgeted as a premium product with the full attention of the studio (or close to it), while other times it's clearly more like a part time obligation while most of the team has moved on to other things.
What other things?
Any idea on what InXile is working on nowadays?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

What other things?
Any idea on what InXile is working on nowadays?

Project Cobalt! https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/inxile-general-discussion-thread.99490/page-64#post-7552492

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom