Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

alx3apps

Educated
When will devs learn that using Wine to play games on Linux doesn't mean their game has Linux support!?
Just to note, that sometimes even the biggest games use WINE for official ports, e.g. Sims3 for MacOS.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Recently RPGCodex is a lot about engine whining. In some cases it's justified ( AOD/DS ), in others it's not.
It's rarely justified because in most cases you work with what's available. When it comes to engines, your choices are very limited and neither option is perfect. Torque works - that's what matters. Same goes for Unity. It's not like Fargo had a choice between an awesome engine and a shitty one and picked the shitty one.

It doesn't matter what other people did with Unity, it matters what inXile can do with it. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Black

Arcane
The Unity will bring about the master race. Master! Master! One able to survive, or even thrive, in the video game market.

zeitgeist

Magister
Games today aren't just crap because bobby kotick hates christmas. They're also crap because of consoles, and engines. When engines are designed a certain way (part due to consoles and cellphones, part because it's just cheaper) that's how the games are because that's all you really can make without spending way too much effort.

Why are games in corridors? Why are there few enemies onscreen? Why is HUD getting tinier with every game? Why is AI scripted? Why hitscan? Why health regen? Why do guys run so slow in most games now?

It's not just because they seemed like cool ideas, and not all of it is due to consoles.
Could you point me to some interesting articles or other sources of information about this phenomenon please? Groups of non-obviously-related games having homogenous design elements due to either using a same engine or a similar technology-related issue? I find it a fascinating subject and don't know as much as I would like to about it, outside of "old" games and very obvious recent examples (such as games designed for cell phones, or Beth games etc).

Stauff

Liturgist
I've done a serious 3D engine comparison just a couple of months ago. We targeted Mac, Win and iOS - Unity was the front-runner. I am proud that I managed to throw this ugly piece of crap away. I am not going to explain why it is so bad - the listing of problems of this engine is around 3 pages - the most important thing - it has a C# Mono machine right inside which sucks resources and memory like a vacuum cleaner. I am not going to explain Unity fags here why this engine is utter crap - just believe me - stay away out of it. My hatred to this engine is so pure that I will probably NOT play Wasteland 2 because of it.

P.S. Unigine engine is a fine example of kewl hackers doing a good demo. As the engine for some real stuff it sucks completely to even Unity. As for its iOS support its almost nil.

We picked Unreal engine in the end.

joeydohn

Savant
I've done a serious 3D engine comparison just a couple of months ago. We targeted Mac, Win and iOS - Unity was the front-runner. I am proud that I managed to throw this ugly piece of crap away. I am not going to explain why it is so bad - the listing of problems of this engine is around 3 pages - the most important thing - it has a C# Mono machine right inside which sucks resources and memory like a vacuum cleaner. I am not going to explain Unity fags here why this engine is utter crap - just believe me - stay away out of it. My hatred to this engine is so pure that I will probably NOT play Wasteland 2 because of it.

P.S. Unigine engine is a fine example of kewl hackers doing a good demo. As the engine for some real stuff it sucks completely to even Unity. As for its iOS support its almost nil.

We picked Unreal engine in the end.

Can we get the opposite of a brofist on the forums?

Stauff

Liturgist

The interesting thing is that Unity engine is actually sold as a Sandbox environment - i.e. you don't get source code to the 3D engine and you can extend it only using scripts. For most projects that require just a bit-more than fairly small subset of scripting this is pretty bad. In such case you have to purchase a much more pricey complete license from Unity. In any case the build process for Mac platform for example looks like an alien is trying to build home-brewen beer in earth beer lab - it's absofucking lutely alien. I understand the poor choice of using C# as a vessel for cross-platform stuff but this is just over-engineering. Back to Wasteland team I think using Bard's tale engine might be even better choice..

MCA
They give you the source code if you got the bling or have a very promising project. It has happened before.

By the way, here's a Mass Effect clone done by a total of 1 (one) lone amateur hobbyist guy all by himself in Unity in about a year:

Think about that for a moment while considering all the game systems that went into the whole thing. Now imagine the speed with which seasoned professionals would be going through a similar process.

And for assetwhores who think pretty scenes make good engines:
(Be sure to watch in HD)

MCA
Oh and name recognition:

Yeah if it's a browser game and that's their "solution" to linux support there's gonna be some climate changing geological upheaval levels of butthurt from linux guys.

If it's for browsers, from everyone, really.

R00FLES!

Seriously, people. Drop the browser argument. It has been a while since it lost any meaning unless you are doing cutting edge AAA. The only thing that matters any more is intent and design goals. If the game can run good enough in a browser, then perhaps they can wrap the game in a dedicated browser made only for that purpose and manage to make it not feel like a "cheap browser experience", though I don't know shit about Linux.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
If they were serious about it they would have made/updated their own tech. But picking the jankiest of jank engines i can't scratch that niggling feeling in the back of my skull that this game really will be produced quickly, and on the cheap.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
fizzelopeguss
I think they are starting from scratch. I was looking at what they have made before and they were using Unreal. That is the problem with script only engines, you can't build up libraries/tools of your own and take them to another engine.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I didn't see it at the time, but Unity was a forgone conclusion as soon as Fargo said, he wanted easy import of assets. It could be, he plans to make use of freelancers.

MCA
Granted, half the game assets and entire framework came from FO3 but it took Obsidian one and a half year to develop FNV. That, despite having to learn the system.

You are a a bit out of date there. See if you can count whats going on at the same time on the screen, here:

And what is going on with those voxel landscapes?

But for me the best part is this and the code that goes with it.

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/doco/

LOL what's with the fanboyism reaction? Sadly for you, I wasn't trying to prove the "superiority" of Unity but to dispel the misconceptions on engines. But have they improved the renderer? Last I gave it a try, even primitive tech demos were horribly slaggish. C4 was known as a feature rich engine with poor rendered and documentation from very early on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many characters do you want on screen anyway, Drog? Maybe they should have licensed the Total War games engine!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You see before you
99 berserkers,
99 berserkers,
99 berserkers and
99 berserkers

You're not getting this even if the engine could handle it (taking your word that it can't).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom